The mkiv Supra Owners Club

M3 better or not?? I think not!

tinkerbell

Heel and toe is race track stuff only for cars with no syncro rings and not for high heels! lol

Bet he cant do it!

...and for large capacity lightweight cars. My mate showed me what happens if you don't heel and toe his 4.2 TVR- rear wheels lock up and spat us sideways. I've heard alot of stories about Cerbera owners stacking it when down changing.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone, i just had a heated debate with some idiot on msn, who is stating that the bmw M3 is better than any supra! I of course dissagreed, and got right ubder his skin!!

Comments anyone???:search:

my brothers got an m3 - he thinks its the mutts nuts - havent raced him yet but will let you know when the weathers dry cos we will be racing!!:cool:

I don't see many E46 M3's at all if any.... but then again the same goes for Supras. I think it's one of those misleading things like the number of Mondeo 220's sold last year is actually less than the number of DB9's (according to top gear). There are a whole load of BMW 3 series around.

Think I'll have to test drive one to see what it's like. I'm amazed at the 300+ bhp from a 3.2 litre NA :faint:

The general concensus of the thread - is that the M3 is crap. (paraphrasing)

But why is it crap ? And the "common as muck" or "driven by twats" or "indicator thing" ... that's not a good enough - I think to justifiy a car being crap.

Infact, you could probably label every Vauxhall, Ford, Audi, Merc, Volvo, Nissan, Toyota - practically every car on the planet with that criteria.

Why is the M3 crap ?

This thread reminds me a lot of ones that cropped up on the mondeo forum when I was a member there (don't laugh). A lot of them were all sooooo convinced that the Mondeo was the best car in the world that everything else was instantly crap. There are some very valid points in this thread (ie from people who have actually driven / owned / been a passenger in an M3), but also a lot of what seems like inferiority complex speak.

I tried to shut him up, but he is one of those that thinks a blonde "bird" would know nothing about cars,

Many ways to shut him up ;)

asking me if i heel and toe on downshifts etc thinking i would not know what he was talking about etc!

In Joe Tribiani's voice - How u doing ;)

BURT - you said that the M3 handled better than the Sup......any details?

I think the M3 is a brilliant car for what it is. I dont think it is a better DRIVERS car than a supra, however for those that have owned both, I am more than happy to learn.

I haven't driven the E46, but did drive the E36 EVO back to back against my stock GZ. 0-155 I bet there's nothing in it (and Top Gear proved the BMW was faster) but the Supe has a more accessible midrange & you can use more of it's considerable torque advantage more of the time. Supe also felt faster. The driving position is better (esp pedals) and the BMW doesn't have a left foot rest and a really stiffly sprung accelerator pedal BUT it was a good car, it's just that I preferred my Supra.

To say the M3 isn't a drivers car is just astonishing.

The M3 is a good looking car in it's own right. Next to a Supra it is shown up but as a posy convertible it's OK. I'd have one over a 350z convertible anyday. Or an Audi TiTy etc etc. Only thing that would beat it in that class IMHO is the old XKR.

BUT

Every E46 M3 driver i've come up against either doesn't know how to drive or bites off far more than he/she can chew. BPU should be an EASY kill. My stock TT (exhaust + mushroom only) stuck to ones ass no matter how much he tried (even got little puffs of smoke from all 4 pipes). Even in damp conditions (where the Supra struggles) I have yet to have a serious problem with one of these. :innocent:

BURT - you said that the M3 handled better than the Sup......any details?

no probs... because the enginge sits as far back as it it can from the from wheels.. it is almost a mid engine car.. not quite but almost..and thats how they have near 50/50 weight distribution...

say fot instance you are pushing the car to the point where the rear is almost gonna let go in the supra, or you are going really hard into a corner and you get the wrong line going into it, you would have serious problems trying to get the supe back into shape, to get it around the corner without running wide or the back kicking out would seriously hard work...

in the M3 however.. it a different story it is effortlesss throwing the car into any situation, no matter how much you over cook it you can still get the bcak into shape.. i know its obviously not just the chassis that is doing the work, its also the stability contrll .. but turn it off and the improvement is still leapes ahead of the supra.

i have had the entire car drifting sideways around a roundabout balanced on the throttle, a little more power, a slight correction on the steering and you now heading directly for the exit as if you were going at half the speed... and the car just laugh's at you,, as if to say , "c'mon.. is that all you have got?" the harder you drive the car, the more it wants... perhaps we should all meet up a track, you guys who have yet to be amazed can see it for yourself

Well I've never been troubled by a bmw, in all the years I've been driving in all the different situations and all the different drivers who have tried it on because they feel their cars status must make it better (see the BMW lane thread!)

certainly compared to over cars maybe the BMW comes out well but considering a TT is so easy to BPU you'd have to spend a lot of money at the shiney BMW showroom to match that and then put up with a lot of depreciation

the only BMW I ever drove handled like a pile of sh1te, really it did. felt much more rear wheel drive twitchy than the supra. Admitedly it was just one example though.

At the end of the day both cars will have their fan base and there is no point arguing about it here, but there is nothing wrong with having an opinion so long as you can appreciate other people may feel differently.

One thing for sure though, regardless of how common they are nearly every TT on the road is driven by what I'd consider to be a real car enthusiast and nearly every bmw I see is driven by an average joe who wouldn't know his spare wheel from his steering wheel lol (massive generalisation and exagerated for effect, but I think it is fairly representative)... Guess car enthusiasts know which car they would prefer, as do businessmen, reps and housewifes

Just remembered what a friend said about his M3. He's a massive BMW fan and drifts his 3-litre (Hartge tuned) - you may have seen it about at drift events. Anyway, he reckons Supras were the one car he'd be worried about if he saw it coming up behind him (obviously supercars too but you get the point).

As for the 50/50 weight distribution - you have to work harder to get an M3 sliding than most Jap cars. My old BMW used to swing the back out but always wanted to get back on the straight and narrow, but the Supra seems to like hanging out. Not sure which way is better, depends on what you like.

BURT - you said that the M3 handled it is almost a mid engine car.. not quite but almost..and thats how they have near 50/50 weight distribution...

It's a front engined car, the engine sits in front of the driver for gods sake! I'm not going to argue about the weight distribution as BMW got that spot on.

Before I decided to go for a Supra I looked at a couple of E36 M3's, nice cars but bland and starting to look dated IMHO.