Am I a chav if i have a shopping list?

Underworld

Are shopping lifts acceptable?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Are shopping lifts acceptable?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

nahhhh, personally I think you're talking shite but that's just my opinion.

JDM is a car built for the jap domestic market, not a look or style.

JDM scene or style as you call it, well if that's what floats your boat then good for you.

I have a MR-S roadster, eunos roadster and mitsi GTO on my driveway right now, I must be really hip and cool :cool:

No gags on the GTO ya gimps :p

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that the problem with the JDM terminology is that it's been put on soooooo much aftermarket tat..... 'JDM' style fire extinguishers on ebay anyone? To say that such things are in the same styling category as a standard Supra seems like a bit of an insult to everyone with a subtle taste in modifying.

You have hit the nail on the head,

JDM term has been exploited with the Halfords type of parts and used to try and create something

We buy Jap domestic cars as they usually always have the interesting bits on already when we buy them , usually thats the reason we buy them , if not why buy Jap. you'd by the UK equivelent with nothing on it

e.g Evos etc with their huge wings, they were built for a market

This is quite funny that when you use the correct term JDM for grey imports everyone seems to think its something wrong and chav,

But you are all driving (J)APANESE (D)omestic (M)arket cars

Its the simple and correct term for them

Grey Import is usually the term not liked which goes back to when imports first started to arrive and they were seen as "a grey" area to insurance co's etc hence that is where the "Grey" import term came from

So to please everyone would it be better to say you have a nice "grey" import car there??

Its just a term and the correct one at the end of the day

The JDM style term is used as promdominently the cars purchased usuall ycome with all the bits the Japs put on them as they are so into their car culture, A car is classed as a status symbol hence why the are so immaculate

Interesting input guys and amazing how so many people react to the correct term for your import

I think this has been flogged to death now ,

It goes back to what was said at the beginning a pointless thread as you will always get someone who likes something and those who don't,

Just be fair though,

1 owner has a fully kitted car with Neons , paintjob and all the other stuff and you all say cool

Someone else puts a Spoiler or a few graphics on in a much smaller scale and its Chav mobile

A bit hipocritical

Just let people do what they want,

Sounds like another buzz word like "Euro look", the golfs that were slammed to the deck with wide but small diameter rims and de-badged.

I haven't particularly noticed a theme with JDM cars with the exception of the "drift look" :D

I have personally have gone for the "stealth look" © myself ;)

We buy Jap domestic cars as they usually always have the interesting bits on already when we buy them , usually thats the reason we buy them , if not why buy Jap. you'd by the UK equivelent with nothing on it

I bought my first *completely standard* grey import back in '97 - I chose it because there wasn't a UK version of the car that offered the same engine choice. I don't agree that people buy for the extras fitted, most buy because the car isn't available here and offers something extra, be that rarity, looks or extra performance.

e.g Evos etc with their huge wings, they were built for a market

Agreed but it wasn't the 'JDM' - they were built to allow homologation so that they could win more events.

This is quite funny that when you use the correct term JDM for grey imports everyone seems to think its something wrong and chav

I think it's more the way you use it than the actual meaning ;)

But you are all driving (J)APANESE (D)omestic (M)arket cars

No I'm not.

Its the simple and correct term for them

Agreed if applied to cars *only* available to the Japanese market.

Grey Import is usually the term not liked which goes back to when imports first started to arrive and they were seen as "a grey" area to insurance co's etc hence that is where the "Grey" import term came from

You seem to have that bit wrong as well, odd considering your vast experience :innocent:

The 'grey' term was introduced as a way to describe a legal variant of the black market, it's basic arbitrage, produce sold outside of normal distribution channels by companies that don't usually have a formal business relationship with the producer of the goods.

So to please everyone would it be better to say you have a nice "grey" import car there??

I'd be a bit annoyed as I don't have a grey import but I see no harm in calling these cars "imports" and have done so since people first started bringing them in.

The JDM style term is used as promdominently the cars purchased usuall ycome with all the bits the Japs put on them as they are so into their car culture, A car is classed as a status symbol hence why the are so immaculate

Nonsense. A completely standard Toyota Chaser would be a JDM vehicle in the JDM style - to attach the words JDM Style to any modded Japanese car is to instantly say "I'm full of crap".

Look at the '69 Dodge Charger Daytona - is that a "US Style" car or simply a car aimed at a particular market that has then been modified for looks or performance reasons? If it was released today would it be JDM Style because it has a big spoiler?

Interesting input guys and amazing how so many people react to the correct term for your import

I'm reacting to the way you are ramming rumour and nonsense down my throat.

It goes back to what was said at the beginning a pointless thread as you will always get someone who likes something and those who don't

You are spending a lot of time in a thread you consider pointless ;)

Just be fair though,

1 owner has a fully kitted car with Neons , paintjob and all the other stuff and you all say cool

Someone else puts a Spoiler or a few graphics on in a much smaller scale and its Chav mobile

Take 2 people, give them the same brief and the same amount of money and they are likely to come back with different results. Some people will like one design, some will like the other - that's not something anyone here has an issue with.

The point you seem to be constantly missing is that it's possible to modify something badly and without taste - the fitting of a spoiler isn't instantly a bad thing, graphics aren't always nasty looking, a respray can enhance the style of the car. BUT all of these things can be done in a way that both cheapens the look of the car and makes it look stupid... to the majority of sane enthusiasts.

Even the fitment of the exact same part to the same model of car can end up with different results, it's the way things are done that makes the difference.

Just let people do what they want,

Nobody here stops people doing what they want to do but if someone comes along and asks for direct feedback on a particular mod why do *you* always fall back to this same arguement? They are asking for opinions, people are honest and give them... I see no problem with this.

No doubt you'll chuck me a response that ignores most of what I've said but I'm open to this, the forum is here to allow debate...

{Quote}

Look at the '69 Dodge Charger Daytona - is that a "US Style" car or simply a car aimed at a particular market that has then been modified for looks or performance reasons? If it was released today would it be JDM Style because it has a big spoiler?

A 69 dodge charger (Dukes of Hazzard car ?) " would have the tag of "American muscle car"

a simple common term used for big cc American cars but not used in the same context as JDM

as to my knowledge the US don't have terms for their internal car mrkets as do the Japanese

To be JDM it would have to be Jap not US,

This is a waste of time.. trying to explain why the term JDM is used,and has been used since the import boom started,

We'll re- write the import history books and say the JDM term used between 1993 - 2006 was simply a myth...........

I blame myself for keep getting drawn into this.. and should have dropped out about 4 pages ago when it was blatantley obvious that the term is not understood on here at all, but seen as some chav word .............