The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Bonnet Scoop - YAY OR NAY

imi

SCOOP OR NOOP  

69 members have voted

1. 1. SCOOP OR NOOP

• YAY - Scoop Lookgs good on the Sup.
    • NAY - Scoop looks like Snoop without a Hood.

I'd have it for looks alone even without the guubbins. I am not too sure what compromise fitting a simple one of these would do to a J-spec :blink:

You misunderstand Colin. Or perhaps I worded it wrong. As Dug said - the scoop forms a purpose to aid cooling cylinders 5 & 6. So, it doesn't compromise at all - as it looks good & serves a purpose.

What I was trying to say was, putting stuff on the car .. that has no functional value. Such as - some of those vented bonnets without water cowling. Some of them do look nice.

Yes - you're getting rid of the hot air and replacing it with nice cold air. But you're also flooding the engine.

See what I mean ?

I have the scoop on mine and Angie has hers without.

I fitted the scoop a couple of years back with most of the gubbins under the hood. However, if you have a strut brace, you have to remove the ducting on the underside of the bonnet as they hit each other.

Also, if you want to fit one, make sure you fit the sticky strip arount the base of it VERY well otherwise it leaks water every time you wash the car. Mine leaks for about an hour even on a hot day until I take it out for a run. Makes a mess of the nice clean bonnet and is a right pain in the @rse!!

But it does look nice IMHO.

You saying only UK cars have this 'feature' ?

Euro spec cars do to.

The scoop itself needs to ducting which runs alongside the engine to be effective, just fitting the scoop by itself would be purely for cosmetic reasons.

One funny thing about it is that it always draws comments about it being for the turbos which is funny :)

looks very nice, were did you get that plastic thing that kicks out a little at thwe bottom of your front bumper, i need one of these.....

your supra looks shit hot, get the green night rider lights going across the front....hehe

That's the optional Active Spoiler. You can usually retro fit them to Turbo Supras they tend to (as in usually) have the necessary wiring loom - I'm not sure about NAs

As for Bonnet scoops I like them :thumbs: but then I also like JSpec bonnets too.

Mike

I agree that it is functional (apparently cooling cyl5/6), however if it made such a difference then why wasnt it standard on the Supra's, after all Toyota know best, right?

Why wasnt it standard on all Supra's if it made such a difference?

Leaving the functionality aspect aside, what do you guys think from a COSMETIC point of view?

Poll tilted towards the scoop now.....interesting.

My understanding is that it was deemed necessary on the Euro spec, presumably because of the bigger injectors, and the different cam profiles, maybe the engine ran slightly hotter, and the rear cylinders needed assistance in cooling.

I could be talking out my A*** but can't see the metal turbos making that much difference that the scoop was needed.

Mike

The scoop was deffo an after thought as were the dildos. I believe the scoop was put onto euro models simply to aid reliablilty for driving at continued high speed, ie on the autobahn at continuous speeds of 155mph, with JDM cars limited to 112mph this wasnt an issue.

The confusing thing is why it wasnt on the US spec as they got everything else.. but they usually get the cheaper/lower spec versions of Jap cars without many of the extras.. but even then its an interesting question.

The confusing thing is why it wasnt on the US spec as they got everything else.. but they usually get the cheaper/lower spec versions of Jap cars without many of the extras.. but even then its an interesting question.

The only reason I can think of, is that the US doesn't have anywhere where you can legally sit at 155+ for a few hours, so it was deemed unnecessary... :shrug:

The only reason I can think of, is that the US doesn't have anywhere where you can legally sit at 155+ for a few hours, so it was deemed unnecessary... :shrug:

Yeah same here, but I thought there were stretches in Montana where they were de-restricted. I think it boils down to the spec levels.. in the US they just try and make the car as cheap as possible so they dont include the options, whereas in Europe they tend to bung more bits and pieces on and charge higher prices for it.