• 18"
    • 19"

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Peter, as you know I've got the same C/W suspension set up as you and I also happen to have stock 17s on at the moment. I do however have a set of GS300 18s cluttering up my hallway (ho hum lifes so hard.:p ) which I intend to pop on the car this weekend. When I've done so I'll take the car down my local test track for a back to back comparison (Mcanny can probably vouch for the thoroughness of the test that they're about to be put through) and if you want I'll let you know how they feel. Bear in mind though that the wheels I'm using are the Correct offset (surely this is vital) and are also quite light too (strangly enough the fronts are heavier than the rears even with tyres on :conf: ).

Originally posted by womble

Bear in mind though that the wheels I'm using are the Correct offset (surely this is vital) and are also quite light too (strangly enough the fronts are heavier than the rears even with tyres on :conf: ).

i think you'll find the fronts are heavier 'Because' they have the tyres on....... I think you'll find the 245 tyres are heavier than the 275's (assuming you have what i believe to be the correct/stock tyres that go on the lexus rims)

Mcanny can probably vouch for the thoroughness of the test that they're about to be put endure

Oh yes!! :D

I'll leave my window open so I can hear you putting some laps in ;)

What I'm really expecting is that you'll find they don't really suit your driving style so as a result you'll be looking for someone local to take them from you so you can go back to your preferred 17's - I might know someone who can help :p

Originally posted by Scooter

i think you'll find the fronts are heavier 'Because' they have the tyres on....... I think you'll find the 245 tyres are heavier than the 275's (assuming you have what i believe to be the correct/stock tyres that go on the lexus rims)

Yeah that's the sizes on them, 245/40 and 275/35. I still would've thought the rears would be heavier due to the extra width though :conf: !.

Peter; you're welcome and it means I've actually got to pull my finger out and get on with it now which is what I needed !!.

Mcanny; if you want to pm me your number again I may have some time free for a brief meeting (oo-er !) at some point this weekend.

Yeah that's the sizes on them, 245/40 and 275/35. I still would've thought the rears would be heavier due to the extra width though :conf: !.

you and me both, but i recently got a set of stock 17" tyres (all the same brand) and the 235's were nearly 2lb heavier than the 255's...... :blink:

For what its worth?

Had 17's as standard.........Good

Swapped to 18's with Medium rubber, better (not harsh) but not to happy in wet. (down to the tyres)

Swapped to 19's with Good rubber...excellent wet and dry any not really and noticably harder.........Although do tramline a bit because of low profile.

(go for the best tyres you can, this makes the most difference IMO)

Dont be put off...........19's work well for me.....

Guest Terry S

If you ever take a 2 or 3 piece rim apart, you will find the centre is by far the heaviest part, the rim is very light. Hence 19' being heavier than 18's etc. There will be very little difference in weight between a 9x18 to an 11 x18 for example, but a 9 x 19 will weigh a good few pounds more. Just as important are tyre weights. The quality of tyre will make a huge impact, as will the alignment. You could make the car handle better by adding more camber, at the expense of tyre wear.

Like everything it's a compromise. I think 19's look lovely and suit a big car like the Supra well. IMHO 18's are the best compromise, as 17's look too small. With big power you need to look at the sidewall too on the rear, as too little will not help you with traction, but aides cornering.

My experience with 18's, the ride isnt much different, but in the wet its a nightmare (but that may be due to balding tyres), but the tramilining is also crap - meaning you have to keep both hands on the wheel a lot of the time. (which is kinda a good thing anyway).

Its made the drive more interesting. No better.