The mkiv Supra Owners Club

18" or 19" rims

Sharpie

What size ?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What size ?

• 18"
    • 19"

I know, theres been a few posts on this, but not a poll though.

the votes look very close mind, it is totally a personal choice, whichever you go for theres not much difference between 18s and 19s, maybe there is between 17s and 19s but not that much you can really tell. Well i can't tell much difference

Just my opinion on the matter, not saying one or the other is right

Paul :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok imagine a type of Pepsi challenge, a blind test where you back to back drive a car with the same type of alloys & tyres but of 18" and 19".

Say you take it on the same route, eg

out of an unmade road/sidestreet

onto a poorly sufaced B road

turn onto a lovely smooth A road

bit of fun round some roundabouts

one junction down the local dually (inside lane has lorry ruts)

and back

Where would the 19's perform the best/worst (relatively) and what bad handling characteristics would they display?

After the two drives do you think everyone would definitely choose the 18's as the best handling?

Just because the car came with 17" rims does not mean they are the best for handling.

Every car (even the high performance Sup) is one big compromise for the OEM. Think of some of the factors they have to dial in, handling, ride quality, styling, brake clearance, manufacturability, cost ... then remember that cost is factor number 1, every fraction of every penny counts.

17" rims are much less expensive than 18" rims by a considerable amount. As rim manufacturers have got better at making larger rims (i.e. cheaper) they have driven the trend towards larger wheels on all cars.

The argument - it came with 17" rims, therefore they are the best is not correct.

However the argument - I have used different sized rims and for me with my driving style, my car mods and my personal feeling (which does include looks) the xx" rim is the best.

There is no correct answer - everyone is different - just go for what you like.

:blink:

Originally posted by Alex Holdroyd

Handling is not a major factor in straight line drag racing ....

Handling is the nimbleness, road holding and behaviour whilst cornering/switching direction.

Agreed.

but can anyone actually tell us in what way 19's handle worse?, what you feel (or maybe don't feel) when behind the wheel........

Originally posted by sinbad

Just because the car came with 17" rims does not mean they are the best for handling.

Every car (even the high performance Sup) is one big compromise for the OEM. Think of some of the factors they have to dial in, handling, ride quality, styling, brake clearance, manufacturability, cost ... then remember that cost is factor number 1, every fraction of every penny counts.

17" rims are much less expensive than 18" rims by a considerable amount. As rim manufacturers have got better at making larger rims (i.e. cheaper) they have driven the trend towards larger wheels on all cars.

The argument - it came with 17" rims, therefore they are the best is not correct.

However the argument - I have used different sized rims and for me with my driving style, my car mods and my personal feeling (which does include looks) the xx" rim is the best.

There is no correct answer - everyone is different - just go for what you like.

:blink:

Exactly.

Back in early / mid ninetys, how many cars did you know that had 18s.. let alone 19s. Not only manufacturing costs, but consumer costs as well. Big rubber isnt cheap! $$$$

When I moved up from 17's to 18's I noticed that the ride was much harsher than it was previously. I also felt that the car was tramlining more but whether than was due to the wheel change or the tyre change, I am not sure.

Guest Terry S

OK, just to fuel it a bit, guys with 19's what width are you running? Could you run a wider wheel in 18's? Would that give you a greater tyre contact patch? Would that impact on outright grip? How heavy are the 19's & tyres compared to 18's? What impact does that have on unsprung weight?

Originally posted by sinbad

Perhaps not but chances are Toyota designed the suspension based on the fact it came with 17's (and 16's) rather than something bigger - therefore by changing the wheels you run the risk of compromising the handling, of course this can probably be addressed with suspension mods :)

I love the look of 19's but I love the way my car drives on 17's - maybe 18's are the way forward for me as a compromise ;)

Originally posted by mcanny

Perhaps not but chances are Toyota designed the suspension based on the fact it came with 17's (and 16's) rather than something bigger - therefore by changing the wheels you run the risk of compromising the handling, of course this can probably be addressed with suspension mods :)

I would agree to a point with this statement. I think he was adressing the blanket statement that 17s > all for handling, hence Toyota using them.

Thing I really wonder about is where everyone drives their Supras to the limits for this "handling" etc. Some of you must have some interesting commutes to work! I dont think most people's are track cars so who gives a crap about the marginal differences..lol.

Nearly all my aggressive driving is done on a straightline motorway putting BMW drivers in their place. I have yet to go blasting through twisties chasing down a victim. :)

Originally posted by Supraguy

I would agree to a point with this statement. I think he was adressing the blanket statement that 17s > all for handling, hence Toyota using them.

No doubt about it, I should have added my take on that bit :) I think it's more a case of "17's on a Supra with OEM suspension = handling as Toyota intended, anything else and you take your chances :)"

When Toyota made the Supra 17's were still considered to be a hefty wheel and the range of tyres available was probably fairly limited, in order to keep costs sensible and ensure people could source tyres I'm sure 17's made perfect sense - if they were doing it again today I'm betting they would have used 18's.

17's are common on most cars now, in the mid 90's there won't have been that many factory machines with them, I just wish they filled the arches a little bit more, an extra inch width on each would be a start :)

How does the handling suffer when running 19s? If you had say forged 19s that weighed in slightly heavier than the stock 17s how would these handle worse than 18s? An inch more yet it makes such a huge difference?

Surely if the offsets are correct, and the size of the wheels, correct tyre sizes etc then they should be fine.

If you ran 19x8 all round then it would be shocking no doubt, but running 9x19 and 10x19 i don't see where the problem is?

Paul

what size tyres are you running Paul?

Handling is more than just grip, somebody like CW will give the best compromise between comfort and grip in his suspension kits, set them too hard and the car will skip about and lose grip, set them too soft and the car will roll as it goes in to a corner. The same is true of tyres, a fair bit of the shock from the road goes through the sidewalls of the tyres, reduce the sidewall and the amount of shock the tyre can take is reduced and so it all travels in to the suspension components. On a smooth road theres no problem but as soon as you hit rough patches and dips in the road the car behaves differently than expected.

JB