Rebuilt Engine by MkIV Stores The Results

Max Headroom

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you mean by base price? Is this a price for stock bits? if so, a new short block from Dusty would be a wiser choice, will it not?

Martin, im not trying to knock it just tyring to find out what your rebuilds involve.

Yeah that would be a great idea! - errr thats what we do if needed.

It takes from start to finish 45 man hours to remove, strip, prepare, build, and reinstall the 2JZGTE with Stock twins properly. Lets assume, and we do; that I charge £55ph.

Then you have the cost of bearings, oil pump, water pump, gasket set and a few other odds and sods.

I am more than happy to disclose that on every TT basic rebuild Mkivstore makes around £300 in profit. We have done a lot. *IF* and its a big if because Jason is one of the best engine builders around, one should let go, I have a bill for £3500 all over again that I have to pay.

Then there is the piece of mind that you get by someone like us doing it. You can buy a block from Dusty, but what happens if one of the bearings goes or its not made from the factory correctly? You have just spent you money + labour and have to spend it all over again.

I dint need to justify our prices because we build top quality engines and stand by each of them no questions. We even warrant 600 bhp engines if built and mapped by us.

Just fyi my fully built engine from turbofit is costing about 3.5k fitted... that includes carillo rods, cp pistons, all arp bolts and studs, ferrera valves titainium caps, hks head gasket etc.

But they are making no money on that Jamie at all then, because the rods to buy are about 1000, the pistons are 600, valve train is 400 and the other sundry items come in at around 800. So they are working for basically nothing for you.

But you do advertise alot for them so I guess its fair.

Interesting your using an HKS head gasket too.

But they are making noe money on that Jamie at all then, because the rods to buy are about 1000, the pistons are 600, valve train is 400 and the other sundy items come in at around 800. So they are working for basically nothing for you.

But you do advertise alot for them so I guess its fair.

I know exaclty what all the parts cost as i paid dusty for them. and there not as much as you have quoted... maybe they just get better prices than you;)

although its a good price for basically a good check of the NA engine replacing bits that might go. I wouldnt call it a rebuild. :)

But like i said still a good price for the work.

why it is stiped and then rebuilt, maybe its not what some would class as a full rebuild but it was prices started from wasnt it ? :p

How could you not call that a rebuild when everything is blueprinted? Maybe I wasnt clear?

And yes its starting prices.

Just before this gets into too negative mode, the price on MY rebuild wasn't cheap, it was value for money as far as i'm concerned. I have peace of mind and many more years of Supra ownership ahead of me.

The level of service I received and the turnaround were bloody excellent, Picked up on Monday, engine done Tuesday, first run in Wednesday and car collected on Friday; can't ask for anything more. And me phoning Martin at stupid o'clock at night to ask stupid questions, with no bother. What else can I say

This is a good definition:

"Blueprinting" an engine is one of the first, and best things a hot rodder or racer can do to a production engine. Blueprinting an engine is nothing more a rebuild done to the most precise tolerances possible. That simple act improves reliability, which is particularly important when you plan to run an engine at the limit.

Except for Ferrari, Porsche and a few other of the most expensive, specialty manufacturers, automobile engines are built to fairly loose tolerances. Perfectionism is expensive, it means you have to throw away a lot of useful part and/or spend a lot of extra labor making things just so. Truly precise fits require precise parts Therefore manufacturers use a coding system to delineate the quality of fits. When we installed a new --and stock-- engine in my ITB Toyota for it's last race, the 2TC engine we had was exceptionally nice. Each cylinder had been marked with a number, in this case the code was 3, 3, 4,3. That indicated the relative sizes of the engine bore, allowing the assembler to choose the correct piston ring size from his pile of pre-sorted pistons. My engine was an exceptionally good motor because all the cyliders but one had the same bore. And we're talking a Toyota motor here, and those are known for precision.

When blueprinting an engine, every part is returned to exactly factory specification using high quality machine tools. Bores are made precise, engine studs are changed for new, everything is made as new. Parts prone to wear, such as the timing chain, oil and water pumps are replaced. The block and heads are cleaned with anal retentive care. Every single part is checked for wear or cracks, and replaced as necessary, often magnafluxed to detect cracks beneath the surface, or too small to be seen. The crankshaft and flywheel are checked for straightness and rebalanced. Align bores are given if need, and the crank is nitrated or given other treatments. The head and block are milled for perfect straightness. A five-angle valve job is done.

Often, a blueprinted engine is simultaneously balanced. Balancing takes all reciprocating parts and makes sure they all weigh exactly the same. This us done by weighing each piston and machining the other pistons until they all weigh the same as the lightest piston-- or some pre-determined lesser weight. The same is done for the connecting rods, lifters, rocker arms and all other moving parts. This reduces engine vibrations due to imbalances, and reduces reciprocating mass inside the motor. This permits the engine to rev much higher, reliably

A blueprinted engine is a new engine no matter how many miles it may have been driven. In fact, it's better than stock, because this type of precision is almost never done at the factory. A racer who starts with a blueprint job can trust his motor. Because a blueprint job is so thorough, it's easy and inexpensive to perform a host of other modifications at the same time. Besides balancing, the cylinders can be bored, a stroker crank installed, aftermarket parts like racing cams installed.

Blueprinting is not cheap, costing several thousand dollars when you bring in the engine. It takes lots of time. But if you're serious about motorsports, and the rules permit, blueprinting is the first place to begin your engine program.

Mine is being done by MKIV store and i would not have it anyother way, i guess it's who you know and who you are used to, but even if you did not know Martin you would struggle to get a better job done i'm sure, i do not just give £*000 to anyone, i will be keeping the car sometime now, probably 10 years at this rate, but it will last that long no probs, knowledge and workmanship are priceless:d

Hehe I did say "one of the most powerful":p :tongue:

Nope

Manual with 250 bhp (on 99 fuel ) with paperwork printout from Japan

and a real ba""tard in the wet

HKS Filter

(Since made my own forced cold air pipe and Heatsheild )

Some cam and ecu mods done in Japan from 5500 rpm comes on cam totally different car from that rev range (quicker than any NA i've previously driven)

came with 5in Trail system (Damn loud!!)