How much to go single?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How much to go single?

• Under 2k
    • 2-4k
    • 4-8k
    • 8-10k
    • more than 10k

My budget for a single was 17-20K, all in. That includes a fully rebuilt engine, turbo, cast manifold and intercooler pipe work, fuel system, clutch, Motec ECU & CDI and a couple of days mapping time.

I can't see how you can have a reliable single car that runs properly for some of the sums of money being talked about.

Granted mine is overkill for what most people need, but I wanted an autobahn stormer, a car I could drive flat out for 200 miles without any issues. A car that behaves well off boost around town in traffic, starts first time and won't go bang in 6 months.

If you just want to do the odd santa pod run then you can bolt on a single and go, but it wouldn't be something I'd want to drive every day. You have to find a compromise between quality, reliability, drivability and cost.

I've driven a Supra with HKS2835 and it was an absolute rocket, but off boost it was an utter dog. The engine also let go a couple of weeks later too....

holy crap i cant beleive the sums of the money being talked about here, i did the actual conversion for about £3000 the only thing i bought new was the turbo, i did all the work myself but did have an intercooler and a lot of supporting stuff prior to the conversion, if you want to spread the cost i would reccomend building up to the conversion and buying bits as and when you find them, beware though i have just spent another £2000 on a Boostlogic built auto and high stall as the single toasted the box, my wife reckons it would be cheaper if my "hobby" was crack cocaine lol

So thats £5000 + (how much for the stuff you already have in addition?) to date then m8 - with your own labour?

What you reckon made the box go...?

I guess what ecu you run would make a big difference to your budget- you could spend a grand on an E-manage, supply, fit, tweek, or £2.5k on a AEMs.....

Once you are through that minefield of what you are gonna buy, you have to pick who you want to map it, and what sort of comeback you have if you've just spent £12k going single only to be left with a very dead engine if it goes bang.

So thats £5000 + (how much for the stuff you already have in addition?) to date then m8 - with your own labour?

What you reckon made the box go...?

Paul i was just trying to demonstrate you dont need a second mortgage to go single if you are sensible and build up to it (which Rob seems to be doing), my car was BPU for 3 years and in that time i picked up RLTC and front brakes on a group buy, the intercooler i bought as a core from pace and made my own end tanks i even got a couple of gauges second hand from you, if anyone wants to check the spec of my car in my garage i will tell them where i got everything and what i paid for it, most of it is second hand (apart from turbo and radiator) OK the BL box is not strictly necesary my old one lasted 30k at 1.3 bar bpu and 1.4 bar T61 you could just as easy buy a low miler for £300, i thought my crack cocaine joke made it plain i wasn't hiding that a single turbo supra isn't cheap but a 500 rwhp small single is acheivable on a modest budget

I think a lot of people look at the package cost and don't factor in the ancillary costs as well :) I actually kept a track of what it cost me, so here it is. Bearing in mind I already had: FMIC, EGT sensor and gauge, fuel pressure gauge, UK spec brakes and a walbro pump. Also you could knock about £500 off if you didn't want a really big fuel system as we found the 650's drop-ins could do the job fine.

MVP order:

----

HKS Super Sequential Blow Off Valve, Universal

HKS Super Sequential Blow-Off Valve Flange - Aluminum

HKS Blow-Off Valve Fin Inserts

Field's Harness

HKS Twin Power Ignition Amplifier

HKS Fuel Rail for 1993-98 Supra Twin Turbo

Shipping from MVP motorsports

£850

----

Boostlogic Turbo kit

£3041 after VAT, duty, and delivery

6* 720cc RC Engineering top feed low imp injectors

£415, 2nd hand

Injector cleaning £80

Greddy E-Manage

£295, 2nd hand, used once

Spare fuel pump cage

£35, 2nd hand

Turbo heat blanket

free as compo for delays on delivery

RPS Street Max clutch

£485 + £120 to fit

Fuel kit

£750

Extra fuel components

£112

Wideband O2 sensor, module, and gauge

£190, 2nd hand never used

Gauges and sensors

£120

Exhaust manifold gasket, coolant, and oil filter

£78

Pipework/welding

£90

Misc. VWP stuff

£50

Oil change

£48

Total: £6759

As you can see, I got some stuff 2nd hand, so it could have been higher. Has anyone else has factored in cutting and welding? New gaskets? Oil and filter change? New coolant? Injector cleaning and flow testing? Wire, solder, connectors...? It all adds up, that's nearly 500 quid...

And that total was me doing everything myself bar the clutch swap. I dread to think what the labour would have been :)

£2000 for a single turbo :rlol:

-Ian

My cost is similar to Ian's - but that's because

a) I have a lower spec than him. (thus the cost in bits isn't as much)

b) I paid someone else do the spanner & mapping work.

I suppose I could've the same spec as him - but every bit of kit - would be sitting in a corner somewhere in my flat - instead of on the car.

Here's my costings:

Bits

BL Budget T61 1800

550 injectors 150

Resistor Pack 80

Aero FPR 110

Greddy FMIC 3 850

2nd Hand eBAY ..

EM Blue with all

harnesses &

sensors 300

Blitz eBC 230

AEM AFR 180

RLTC 490

Misc Costs

Single fitting 700

RLTC 100

EM & EBC 230

AEM AFR 50

Welding costs 100

Injector fitting 100

Consumables 50

Mapping £300

Injector cleaning

& testing £120

Total 5940

I already had an RPS Street Sport Clutch. Exhaust, Decat pipes. My UK brakes were cooked anyway before the conversion - so upgraded to DBA 4000 xs gold's.

I already had DEFI boost & oil pressure & turbo timer.