The mkiv Supra Owners Club

If you wanted a supra with modifications, what would you do?

Pabs

Which option would you take?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which option would you take?

• Buy a standard Supra, and Modify myself - just the way I want it
    • Buy a modified supra - change a few bits if required

Wow - this is turning into a really good debate :D

Some fantastic info there guys...

Thinking about the experience issue (25yr old and never driven RWD), I think I could perhaps get some form of tuition, and perhaps take my car somewhere big and open for a few days, and get taught how to handle it. This might be a good idea with a stock or modified car....

I LOVE Burts car! I'd certainly be tempted with buying a pre-modified one from here, as I *THINK* I'd be able to get other members to vouch for the time, effort and quality of the car. Supradibbs car was in JTuner this month was it not? Saw a picture of one just like it on the turbofit review... Nice :D

I always like to, if possible, buy a newer car over an older one, just because theres less likely to be underlying issues of rust or worn components (although strictly not true i suppose - depends on mileage). I've seen some nice 1997 standard (ish) Supe's about on ebay/autotrader etc.. but whether or not they'd be worth it I don't know...

Anyway, its still a close call on the poll! Std has it by a slight margin!

IMO you have to give either a good looking over. Whether it's a stocker or modified. Judge each car on it's own merits, (or downfalls).

Personally, if I was staring again, I'd look for a pre-modified one. Sure, I'm sure I'd change a few bits to my personally preference, and maybe alter a few bits that maybe could be better.

Ultimately, you 'can' save yourself a small fortune and a lot of hassle by buying a pre-modified one. Especially if you pay someone else to do the work as there is a huge amount of labour that goes into a decent single conversion.

Buy it standard. Ive bought cars in the past that have been modified and its a real bitch to find out whats been done to them. it may hamper future mods that you wish to perform. It may cost you more but its worth it. And when you build that awsome car you can stand proud and say it was all you and explain every detail.

oh, and another angle to take into consideration:

I'm 25, and never had a RWD car. Would going straight for a modified, higher powered supra be wise? Or should I get used to a standard TT first, and then up the power as and when I'm ready? This would also mean insurance is cheaper to start with - although I will have 7yrs NCB next year...

Ive had a n/a for a few months and it was my first rear wheel drive car. i am used to it now and its great fun. A few weeks ago i bought a 6 speed tt and what a difference, its so trigger happy and in the wet its just sheere dangerous. Im sure i will get used to it but if youve never had real wheel drive i would start off with stock power. They can be a lot to handle at first, and not being that cheap you dont want to rap it around a lamp post

Provided I could find a good condition modded one (upto 500bhp - going over that is highly modded territory), well-built, well looked after, I'd got for it over stock anyday.

Why waste money...?

I dont agree with the concept of getting used to a stock first before modding....can how can you get used to stock , they are 315-330bhp as it is, how can you possibly get used to that on a public road without losing your license.

what I mean by get used to it is not necessarily the power, more along the lines of the RWD aspect, handling in the wet etc.

My current car has 240bhp approx, and you can use some of the power on public roads - quick starts and the like. Not top end - and indeed i don't intend on doing that anyway.

what I mean by get used to it is not necessarily the power, more along the lines of the RWD aspect, handling in the wet etc.

Ahh, RWS - ok, now im with you.

Well, my take on that is, a stock TT can easily catch you out if you are not used to RWD and are pushing it. The car doesnt drive itself, you have to drive it, if you drive it like youve stolen it then surely even a stock one will bite back.

Regarding driving in the WET, again, a stock on with the stock traction control will easily catch you out compared to a modded car with a modded suspension, better tyres, wheels and RLTC

A well looked after properly Modded everytime ;)

cool - thanks for those comments :) I'm learning more and more every time i log onto these forums!

I will still modify even a modified car, as I want to get it the way I like it. I think personally I am coming around to the "buy modified" option from the two, as it will save me money, but still keep me very entertained. Just so long as I get one thats been well looked after and the work has been done properly.

Well tbh I don’t think there is a one answer to this as everyone is different.

I would go with either really depending on the car. If I went for a modified car then I would not go higher then stage 1 mods on the engine side because you cant really go wrong with them but more then that I would just not know if it has been done correctly and if it had problems I would have no idea where to start on a highly modified one.

When it comes to styling then that’s down to weather you like what has been done so full on tricked up one would be fine as would a standard one.

When it comes to RWD I don’t think you will have any issues mate. I have driven all types and if you drive well inside your own skill to start with and just build on it mate you will be fine.