The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine just went bang

Robert

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it had a base map form Ian c installed on there, when i picked it up from phoenix it was fine all the way home, AFRs were fine on boost, never went over 1 bar, off boost it was abit rich at times and a little lean aswell, things settled down fine. The next day i went to drive her, when i started her up she was running too rich on idle then when i went to move off she would go off the scale lean, this happened twice and i travelled no more than about 15 feet each time, didnt start her up again then i got her towed to whifbitz a few days later.

Rob mate i am so sorry :( Didn't even get to see her in the flesh.

Was the camshaft leak not picked up after the turbo install??

I had a small leak before the car went in for a single but im not sure it was leaking much when they took it out for a short drive.

its just so annoying

I've been looking at the comments regarding Rob's engine. I would like to point out that this would not have happened unless the engine was on its way out, the same thing would have occured if any tuner had started mapping it. I do this day in day out and have done for years now and have never had a single problem. If we had done a compression test previously it wouldn't have necessarily shown anything up. If it did show low compression the engine would have required a rebuild/replacement anyway.

Like I said Robert if you need to talk to me just bell me on my mobile, I'm away on holiday so I'm on a crappy slow connection using my laptop and mob phone!

Ta

First like to say feel for you Robert, you and I know each other somewhat better than most as I bought my Supe from you back in January.

I don't want to start any pissing contests etc but anyone implying Paul is responsible or his work was the cause of Rob's engine going bang should think very carefully before sticking any knives in. Paul has been looking after my car since I bought it from Robert and I had my engine diagnosed with a bottom end knock at Ace Cafe a month or so back. I've only had it 7 months and done a maximum of 500 miles if that since then and get told it was rebuild or recon engine time!

To say I was heart broken would be a major understatement and I left the meet early as I was so pissed off!! Robert will vouch for this but I haven't once complained to him about the car or blamed him for what happened nor would I as it's a very real risk we all take owning high performance machines under such high pressures and tolerances.

Paul has just finished installing my re-con engine and single conversion and done all the mapping on it and it really is a piece of art! The quality of work has NEVER dissappointed me and I ALWAYS go to Paul for work and ALWAYS will. Anyone who thinks otherwise that's your business but don't start trying to stir shit up for nothing and try to taint the reputation of one of the longest standing, well known and respected tuners this forum has to offer.

Rob mate your a smashing bloke and we had a really nice chat when we met to do the sale on my Supe and when I collected the oil cooler from you and we chat via threads a lot at the moment which is awesome! :D This is shitty luck and has hit you hard i'm sure as you were really looking forward to going single and getting it ready for our drag race!! ;) :D I think YOU have handeled this really well as I'd expect from you and I think you know how professional Paul is when it comes to tuning and doing work on cars and he is very honest and forward with the condition of things, your engine was by the sounds of things similar to mine in that when I got it from you we didn't think anything was wrong but it turned out to be sick and on it's last legs and you had compression tested it just prior to me buying it from memory and it was totally fine, the point is, you've had a crap break but I know you will bounce back and get it sorted and also that Paul will give you any help you need including a good price on a recon lump and fitting as he did for me when my world fell apart.

Tough break mate and if I can help in any way or you want to talk about it you can always ring me.

Really feel for you mate but to the hecklers, leave it out!!! :rolleyes:

All the best,

Pete :)

Be carfeul with that Ebay seller, as he is selling a Supra Twin Turbo gearbox in his shop from what seems to be the same car, but it is only a 5 speed box.

The engine does look like a TT one, but I'd go check before shelling out 1300 notes.

Hi, sorry to change the subject but want to get an HKS induction kit - is this the way to go?

No, Paul means that if he'd done a compression test and it had have been low Rob was facing a rebuild...so either way, either result he needed a rebuild.

Just got a bit worried, i'm going single within the next couple of weeks, an i'm planning on getting the engine checked out before hand, inluding the compression. Was just wondering whether the engine has a big chance of going pop, even if all seemed well.

Really glad 2 hear it Rob mate and look at it like I did, at least when the recon or rebuilt lump is in there you can sit back assured every box has been ticked and that the setup is as strong as it possibly can be! :)

I saw your car when I picked mine up and must say I think your old car (now mine!) versus your current car when it's all good will be a contest to go in the history books mate!! ;) :D

The spool up on mine is breath taking though so it'll be great to put it through it's paces against another single conversion with the autobox as well to see how they get on!! :)

As I said Rob your a great guy and just like me you've had a crappy run of it lately with your car but when it gets fixed the single experience will put such a grin on your face you will forget all the hassles and be on cloud 9!!! :D :d :D

Chin up and keep me posted on progress as I may need to make enquiries about NOS if it gets serious!! :eyebrows: :D

All the best mate,

Pete :)

Just got a bit worried, i'm going single within the next couple of weeks, an i'm planning on getting the engine checked out before hand, inluding the compression. Was just wondering whether the engine has a big chance of going pop, even if all seemed well.

dont worry matey.. it will be fine.. your in safe hands....