The mkiv Supra Owners Club

shell v power

supra matt

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is also interesting how keen they are to promote the "99RON" issue, compared to the elusiveness and haziness of statements about Optimax.

Shame about the price increase.

Does it say 99 on the pumps, or on the literature? I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt written anywhere.

You will not notice any performance difference unless you are not human and are just a walking fuel difference sensing machine, the most important aspect is the cleaning additives, therefore if it keeps your valves cleaner and injectors running better you are freeing up any potential lost power from using fuels which are more prone to causing carbonisation and therefore inefficiency in the fuel system. I would have thought unless you use it in a vehicle from brand new the difference we are talking about is minimal, and if your valves are already knackered it will not make them new again.It says 99 ron on shells website and on all the info, for anyone who is unsure it is 99 ron, 99 ron, 99 ron ,99 ron, and by the way it is 99 ron

You will not notice any performance difference unless you are not human and are just a walking fuel difference sensing machine, the most important aspect is the cleaning additives, therefore if it keeps your valves cleaner and injectors running better you are freeing up any potential lost power from using fuels which are more prone to causing carbonisation and therefore inefficiency in the fuel system. I would have thought unless you use it in a vehicle from brand new the difference we are talking about is minimal, and if your valves are already knackered it will not make them new again.It says 99 ron on shells website and on all the info, for anyone who is unsure it is 99 ron, 99 ron, 99 ron ,99 ron, and by the way it is 99 ron

so in an older Supra, why bother using a higher RON fuel at all? if the valves etc are already 'dirty' then why doesn't everyone just use 95 RON fuel? especially since everyone isn't a "walking fuel difference sensing machine"?

just checked their website and finally they release a 99RON fuel. Now the question is, can you justify the difference in price. Tesco 99RON is 0.95/ltr

must admit, if i could get the Tesco stuff up here i'd probably go for that. as it stands though, my choice is either between Tesco/Shell 95 RON and the V-Power 99 RON which seems to be about .98/.99 per litre.

and didn't tesco 99 do well in recent tests, remember Tesco won't make it, it is sourced from bp/esso i believe, i would use it, conspiracy theories about it being crap are not true, the fact is as Tesco now make more money than most of the oil companies they probably just tell them to make the fuel for a good price or else, lol:p

so in an older Supra, why bother using a higher RON fuel at all? if the valves etc are already 'dirty' then why doesn't everyone just use 95 RON fuel? especially since everyone isn't a "walking fuel difference sensing machine"?

The car is designed to run on 95ron fuel min, i have to say i don't really notice a difference other than in wallett weight, marketing is a powerful thing, and when they calim whatever percentage increase in power they are using new cars on test tracks in perfect conditions, or in shells case are probably basing those figures on formula 1 cars. It does not do any harm to use a cleaner fuel, and at the end of the day using v power emits less c02 than using 95 ron in the same car, interestingly by making greener fuels such as this the petrol companies get huge tax savings for meeting european standards and in this case exceeding them which helps their profits considerably.My main reason to use 98/99 ron would be that it is slightly better for your engine but emits less c02, so at least i am doing my bit to counteract the fact i am driving a huge gas guzzling c02 emitting beast(usually on my own), lol

The car is designed to run on 95ron fuel min, i have to say i don't really notice a difference other than in wallett weight, marketing is a powerful thing, and when they calim whatever percentage increase in power they are using new cars on test tracks in perfect conditions, or in shells case are probably basing those figures on formula 1 cars

i'm fairly sure you're right there mate, marketing is indeed a powerful tool. however, i'm fairly sure jap cars are set up to use fuel at a higher RON than 95? would you import TT Supra and then take it straight to Tesco to fill up with 95 RON fuel? what do you run your TT Aristo on?

i'm fairly sure you're right there mate, marketing is indeed a powerful tool. however, i'm fairly sure jap cars are set up to use fuel at a higher RON than 95? would you import TT Supra and then take it straight to Tesco to fill up with 95 RON fuel? what do you run your TT Aristo on?

At the moment thin air as it is having a rebuild, i have been using bp ultimate just because everyone recommended it, however put 95 in and it seemed no different, however after the rebuild i will use higher ron.As someone on here said when the Supra came out in 93 99 ron fuel was probably not available in Japan, and the technical manual with the car(i had a translated one) said 95 ron minimum

We've all heard that Optimax supposedly "dropped off" in quality over time (whether that's true or not I don't know), I wonder if the same can be said for V-Power? I suspect it was no worse than any other fuel personally.

I'd happily use Tesco 99RON too if I could get it, like mattanna said earlier Tesco won't make it themselves, and any fuel has to meet the same BSA standards.

Guys the simple fact is it's now a higher octane than before (99 octane like tesco but with much better additives for tuning properties) .... marketing ...NO it works and has been tested just like the old opti had been and made the best results, in terms of feeling it :D on a 1500kg car you won't feel the difference 5-10bhp will make (for example over old optimax) as your hardly making much power extra but it still extra you just wont feel it.

Now if you map for it is almost certain it will be a different story please tech heads can you elaborate on what i'm trying to say here :D in short guys i'm pretty sure this stuff is great the'll be more tests along shortly no doubt which should confirm :) :cool:

Just my thoughts :-

Optimax

--------

I have had my car mapped on optimax and have left fuel in the tank for approx 3 weeks, the car still performed like it did when the petrol was put in and there were no signs of any extra det.

V-Power

--------

Is 99ron and is the replacement for optimax, this is in the shell paperwork you can get from the garage. since i have been mapped on optimax which is either 97 or 98ron i would not see any real gains here, but if i remapped for this fuel then power could be gained from allowing more ignition advance and boost as there would be less chance of det than a lower grade fuel.

Stock ECUs

-----------

if you filled up with this fuel and then reset your ECU, after some driving about the ECU should have found the optimum settings which could be higher than other lower grade fuels and therefore could gain you some power.