The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The search is now a DESPERATE one

Guest huwt4ng

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the dim and distant past when I was at Uni my insurance company had a thing where you could declare it was off-road and they would insure it for theft/damage only. The premium went down to 1/4 while it was like this. I used to do that every term and then reactivate it during the hols. Mind you, it was a 1L Metro City...:D Can't remember which company it was but it might be worth phoning some and asking them if they do something similar.

Hi,

This is a plea from a soon to be supra owner who may not become one if he doesn't get the following. Let me explain. I live in a village which is nice enough, not a problem. But...Occasionally there are a few "chavs" who choose to venture into the wilderness out of pure interest and these are the people I would hate to find my supra sat on my drive and decide to key it. As my car will be off the road for a period time, I am now desperate to find insurance that will cover me just for my supra to sit on my drive. It is not much to ask. So plz plz plz does anyone know of any companies that will offer this "off road insurance"??????? Please please try and help or I may not get my supra!!!!!! put urself in my position!!! ARRRRRRRR.

Please help,

Huwt4ng. :search:

not being funny dude, but do you actualy have this car ?

or is it a case you realy,realy want one ?

Guest huwt4ng
Lol. I have considered it. But being 17, I kno i kno, please dont give me any more abuse on that note, iv had enough already

Please!!!! You all make me cry. Joke.

I have found an insurance company who will insure it to sit in my garage as long as I declare it off the road. Pretty dirt cheap really. Not bad. Yeeehaaa.

Thanks

Huwt4ng

:)

insanity i'm afraid - have to agree with the others.

I hope you're not doing it just so u can say to ur mates - i own a supra. Because it won't gain you any credit, especailly if u can't drive it.

A supra needs to be driven - you'll be throwing money at it to keep it alive while it sits there, PLUS your modding money. And its going to take a good 3-5yrs to make any proper impact on your insurance costs - so £XXXX to insure first year, £XXXX second year.. you might be lucky for 3 figures in about your 6th year... I'm 25 and insurance on an import is still 4 figures - I have 6+yrs no claims bonus. (UK car is much lower mind)

Seriously, sorry to say, but walk before running.

Please!!!! You all make me cry. Joke.

I have found an insurance company who will insure it to sit in my garage as long as I declare it off the road. Pretty dirt cheap really. Not bad. Yeeehaaa.

Thanks

Huwt4ng

:)

I assumed you didn't HAVE a garage. Insurance when garaged almost certainly won't apply if it's NOT garaged... If my son suggested a 300 BHP car as his first motor I wouldn't contemplate it. If you kill yourself, or someone else, are your parents going to be able to live with that? By the time this project is done and dusted there may well be a law change preventing you from using it anyway, it's been mooted for ages. My parents wouldn't let me have anything remotely "fast" for 2 years after I passed my test. I thought it unfair, outrageous and bloody minded. In hindsight, like most of their advice and actions, it was admirably sound. They should have made it 4 years, the roads would have been a safer place for all.

Guest huwt4ng

Fair points, I understand your concern fully. But, and I dont want to upset anyone with the thought of a supra being off the road, but this will be a project car. It will be stripped and partially rebuilt, but these things take time and money as we all know. I am just like an older gentlemen working on his classic MG on a sunday afternoon. Just a bit more new age.

Thanks,

Huwt4ng:)

P.s If you read my 1st post, ull see I havent bought it yet.

At 17 having a supra in a garage that you could not drive would be like torture!!

Hope you dont give in to peer pressure and go for a spin!!If you can afford it and manage to get ins one day then you are one lucky teenager hehe Dont go and kill yerself as these cars are a handfull in the wet for guys n gals that have been driving for 20 years let alone someone with no experience at all.good luck m8:) :)

Still think you'll be close on my age before insurance allows you to drive it.

(I'm 28) I bought my first one at 25 having owned and insured cars in my name since i was 17 and still it was a LOT of money. Certainly put my enthusiasm to the test. Even when you do get it on the road you'll have to declare all mods or risk invalidating your insurance and that'll push it up further still.

Mate, listen to alot of the guys on here. They're not talking crap.

Its a bad idea at this time in your life.

Guest huwt4ng

Ye, the words of people on here are gold, because no one i kno has experience like these guys and i dont want to p*ss any of them off. All i want to do, is pick one up now, sort it out over the next 3 years whilst gaining driving experience in different cars. Then drive my supe. Sound like a bad idea?

Thanks

Ye, I dont think I will be tempted, I value my license and life too much. Thanks for the support.

Thanks,

Huwt4ng :)

a lot of members value the license, me being one of them,

i held out til 21, for a supercar.

but made my way up a little by little,

i have a passion for cars, so bad, like none of mates are really interested in them anymore,

to import a glanza v turbo at 19, after selling a vtr i had, i waited 3months with no car, just to have it,

got the bus, yay. then after having that, and paying through the roof at 19, i sold and bought a crappy 1.3 charade r limited for 900notes, to run for a year on my own policy,

got a ncb and insured the sup just after my 21st,

then i was told to take it easy,

if i was you, id be happy with 100hp at 17.

why not try a little starlet gt turbo

Ye, the words of people on here are gold, because no one i kno has experience like these guys and i dont want to p*ss any of them off. All i want to do, is pick one up now, sort it out over the next 3 years whilst gaining driving experience in different cars. Then drive my supe. Sound like a bad idea?

Thanks

No mate. Just be carefull. As I said before. Last thing any of us on here want is to be hearing something bad has happened

Take care

Guest huwt4ng

Thank you for you help, I am open to suggestions for car between now and around 3 years time. Can you see my plan for the future? Approval? Disapproval?

Thanks

a lot of members value the license, me being one of them,

i held out til 21, for a supercar.

but made my way up a little by little,

i have a passion for cars, so bad, like none of mates are really interested in them anymore,

to import a glanza v turbo at 19, after selling a vtr i had, i waited 3months with no car, just to have it,

got the bus, yay. then after having that, and paying through the roof at 19, i sold and bought a crappy 1.3 charade r limited for 900notes, to run for a year on my own policy,

got a ncb and insured the sup just after my 21st,

then i was told to take it easy,

if i was you, id be happy with 100hp at 17.

why not try a little starlet gt turbo

What about a mk1 mr2 its rwd and goes very well would still be a really nice car.Better than my first car a beige 950cc fiesta pop plus lol

Thank you for you help, I am open to suggestions for car between now and around 3 years time. Can you see my plan for the future? Approval? Disapproval?

Thanks

I think its a brilliant idea as long as you can financially support it all the way through. I wouldnt recommend driving it until your 21 due to insurance prices amongst other reasons such as experiance etc.

Don't let anyone put you off, but make sure you take into account everything that has been said on here as it is so so true :)

Like you i was only young (15/16) when i wanted a supra... i finally managed to buy mine when i was 20 and insured it from my 21st birthday :)

A lot of my friends drive starlet turbos and they are great fun to drive, awsome handling and fairly cheap to run and insure (compared to a supe anyway!) so i would say your best bet is to go for somthing like that!

Oh and don't underestimate the power of a starlet thats been played with either.... my good friend has one running at 342bhp at the flywheel.... leaves me for dust once he gets his grip ;)

good luck...keep us updated dude :)

Thanks

its better you save for a supra, and buy one with a couple of mods on it.

if you get one and sit it in ure garage, it will drive you nuts, your mates will be saying, take us out in it.

plus do your parents want a supra in the garage for 3 years?

and you will loose ure money with a sitting car, plus not maintaining a running car

its better you save for a supra, and buy one with a couple of mods on it.

if you get one and sit it in ure garage, it will drive you nuts, your mates will be saying, take us out in it.

plus do your parents want a supra in the garage for 3 years?

and you will loose ure money with a sitting car, plus not maintaining a running car

Thought that might be a bit of a problem too. Leaving it sitting for three years might cause you a bit of trouble.

Just out of curiousity, I assume your not going to be fitting all these mods yourself. How are you going to get the supra to whoever it is that might be doing the work for you?