• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest huwt4ng
what sort of plans of mods is it?

engine/body?

More body than enigine (it was going to be an engine overhaul, but then i came to my senses about insurance).

Full interior revamp (and i mean gut it)

Exterior mods (paint, kit etc)

Maybe a few under hood

Thanks

Huwt4ng

:)

Thank you, I appreciate all the time you are all taking to contribute to this.

To supra sam - I dont want to sound like I know everything (or anything, just in case someone challenges me on something). But I have a pretty good idea of what I am hoping my car to look like. And as I am taking such a length of time to create the car....if my ideas and opinions on the looks etc of the car change, I will be able to change them over time. Is you see what I mean?

Thanks,

Huwt4ng:)

QUOTE]

If you cant afford to insure it and you haven't got a garage to keep it in while its being modded whats the point? As everyones said bide your time..

also not all insurance companies will treat a claim the same. some will do like-for-like, others will give you value of the car.

i tried Norwich first, and they wanted something like 900UK = about 580 excess :|

then went to Sky and got it for 540 with 250 excess (thats for guaranteed value and mods declared)

you will need to check in detail what is covered in the policy, its not just the cost of the policy thats important

Guest huwt4ng

Kaori - I will keep my attention the small print and the terms.

Darren - I can't wait! Should have it in around two weeks. Iv found one on the forum, might have to arrange lifts etc.

Thanks.

Kaori - I will keep my attention the small print and the terms.

Darren - I can't wait! Should have it in around two weeks. Iv found one on the forum, might have to arrange lifts etc.

Thanks.

whichever way you decide to go, i wish you luck in choosing the car you want if you decide to get a Supra now

yeh, sorry if i've seemed negative towards you in my posts - so i'll take this opportunity to wish you luck, and i want to see pics etc if you do go ahead with it...

I must say I'll see what you come up with for ideas for mine when i get mine in a few years :)

I still think 8k a year for a car you'll hardly ever drive is a ridiculous waste of money. Are you rich to the point that money has no value?

How about giving me a few grand? I promise I'll put it to far better use than keeping a car in the garage.

yeh - admittedly a 17 yr old having around 10-15k to buy and insure a supra (for a year) before tax/petrol etc to get it home is a LOT - 12k was my entire student loan that kept me at uni for 4 yrs...

But, it seems that none of this phases him! We've all repeatedly mentioned these, so if he still goes ahead then he must be willing to go ahead with it - and fair play to him.

Hopefully some of what has been said has been taken on board and he doesnt go and regret blowing all that money.

lol. i'm sure it will pay off scrimping and scrapeing. education is the key

so they say - not currently the case mind... :(

However, mate who did the same masters as me (and i lived with) is on double my wages - how jealous am I???!!

Doctor pepper?

1) You buy it, realise its not a practical to mod it and have to sell it for a loss.........

2) you buy it, fix it up, can't afforded to run it, have to sell it for a loss.........

3) you buy it, fix it up, crash it and have to take the loss.......

theres a theme here!

but what you are planning is no different to what all of us owners are doing, except we actually get to drive the car :D !

If you are serious, i'd get a slightly damaged or mechanically screwed one, as you can only add value by doing the work/mods on it. You will be able to get the spares you need bit by bit as you are not pressed for time. If you end up having to sell then by buying at near a price you could break the car for you'll minimise the losses (see above:) ).

At the end of the day you only really stand to lose some money, if its affordable to you why not do it, after all your old man could insure it for about £15 for a day and you could both go to a track day or something?

Guest nickjohn
Lol. I have considered it. But being 17, I kno i kno, please dont give me any more abuse on that note, iv had enough already, i am getting quotes of 8000 for a car im not intending to drive for a while. Do you think i could add it to my house insurance?

The only way to get a car like this when your young (I'm 18) is to insure another car with a policy that lets you drive other cars.

I currently have a 106 xsi, im paying £107 a month with a years no claims BUT I'm insured to drive ANY other private car that isnt registered in my name. I'm allready saving for my first supra that will be registered in my dads name! :D SORTED!!