The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Young Enthusiast - Please Help!!!

Guest huwt4ng

i will be amazed if anyone will insure him on it! asking a bit much to get insured on a imported supra in your first year of driving.

sky insurance were the only people that would insure me (21 with an N/A) costs me £2400 tpft but i have a naughty conviction. give them a call see what they can do.

i would go for a RHD over the aero top, i would of thought it would be cheaper to insure too. good luck with the search mate:thumbs:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest huwt4ng

Lol, I know I should be driving some form of hatchback, but I am far too into Supras to purchase a Corsa. And just before anyone asks, I may only be 17, but no, I wont drive past your house at 3am with music blairing. I am more of a enthusiast and not a "boy racer". It's more about Turbos and Nitrous than sporty hub caps and sound systems.

Lol, I know I should be driving some form of hatchback, but I am far too into Supras to purchase a Corsa. And just before anyone asks, I may only be 17, but no, I wont drive past your house at 3am with music blairing. I am more of a enthusiast and not a "boy racer". It's more about Turbos and Nitrous than sporty hub caps and sound systems.

A good way to be, but to be honest, i think you'l struggle to find someone willing to insure you.

You need to get an insurance quote before you buy buddy, I was on the phone to a mate who works for an insurance company just now (whist replying to your post), an he reckons you've got no hope of getting insurance, even as a named driver on an older persons policy. Hope he's wrong mate, but it'll pay to see if you can or not before you buy.

Guest huwt4ng

Yep it is a sad fact that I will probably not get insured at this age, and I have spent many an hour on website getting insurance quotes of such a price you could buy 2 more supras, so my situation stands as this....In 3 weeks I begin a mechanics appreticeship which lasts for 3 years. This is situated round the corner and thus no need for a car. When I finish the apprenticeship I will be 21 and this is a good age for me as I have had quotes for NA Supras with no "no claims bonus" at around £1500. Not bad Im thinking (obviously by this time things will have affect insurance policies and it maybe slightly higher). But over the next 3 years I intend to keep the car Idle in the garage as my project until I'm 21. With exception for the few journeys I will take in it with someone who is fully comp at the helm just to keep things running smoothly......sound like a good idea?

Not meaning to sound negative mate, but you really need to check insurance and running costs.

Can you really afford to spend £500- £1k on a service if a problem is found? If not then this isn't the car for you.

Also, before you go headlong into buying one (and if these cars were available at the current price when I was your age I would be tempted too!) make sure you are ready to handle a heavy, powerful RWD car.

You can’t just jump in one of these and drive it hard like you could with a shopping trolley car. They are big cars and carry a lot of momentum through corners, I would never, ever suggest getting one as a first car. You need some real driving experience behind you before you can step into these.

What’s your past driving experience? Have you driven high powered cars before? How about rwd? How many miles have you covered on the road? Do you have any race background?

Last thing anyone wants to see here is another young lad being killed by inexperienced driving

......sound like a good idea?

possibly...........but you might want to wait another year or two and pick up a TT for circa £4-5K probably even less when you are say 20 and then tinker for the final 9-12 months til you can insure it......otherwise you'll just suffer the usual depreciation without actually using the car....

Yep it is a sad fact that I will probably not get insured at this age, and I have spent many an hour on website getting insurance quotes of such a price you could buy 2 more supras, so my situation stands as this....In 3 weeks I begin a mechanics appreticeship which lasts for 3 years. This is situated round the corner and thus no need for a car. When I finish the apprenticeship I will be 21 and this is a good age for me as I have had quotes for NA Supras with no "no claims bonus" at around £1500. Not bad Im thinking (obviously by this time things will have affect insurance policies and it maybe slightly higher). But over the next 3 years I intend to keep the car Idle in the garage as my project until I'm 21. With exception for the few journeys I will take in it with someone who is fully comp at the helm just to keep things running smoothly......sound like a good idea?

Sounds like a good plan. if I were you though, i'd buy a small, cheap to insure car (if there is such a thing at 17), an get yourself some ncb, it'll make a differance when you come to insure the soop. :)

possibly...........but you might want to wait another year or two and pick up a TT for circa £4-5K probably even less when you are say 20 and then tinker for the final 9-12 months til you can insure it......otherwise you'll just suffer the usual depreciation without actually using the car....

exactly, get some experience with something rwd and a little less heavy. i had a 200sx when i was 18, i was also a named driver. much better car to start with. i dont mean to sound patronising.

Guest huwt4ng

Ye, NCB would sure bring down the 21 quote.

To Scooter: I thort about doing that, but then if I had the car sitting idle i wouldnt kick up the mileage of someone who had the car for the next 3 years and I would have known where it had been, if you get me?

Guest huwt4ng

Thanks for all this guys (and gals). You are all being dead helpful!

2 quick questions tho... (lol)

What is the difference between the facelift version and the ordinary version?

and..Do all supras have 4 Seats? or is there a 2 seater also?

That last question might sound stupid to someone of strong Supra knowledge. Sorry.

Thanks.

That last question might sound stupid to someone of strong Supra knowledge. Sorry.

Thanks.

facelift version has slightly different headlights - they dont have the little sidelight, erm lights on the bumper at the left and right, dashboard has 5 dials instead of 3 and looks slightly different. thats all i can remember at the moment.

and yes all supras have 4 seats (technically its only 2 though, because there is very limited space in the back - although with a bit of imagination the world is your oyster ;))

you can make it a 2 seater though just take the back seats out :D

Thanks.

Welcome to the club huwt4ng
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_grin.gif

The facelift Supras (96+) had minor exterior and interior cosmetic changes such as different headlights, indicators and rear lights. The dash layout was changed, this is the easiest way to tell one from another, early models have 3 main gauges, the facelift models have 5 (2 large gauges, 3 smaller).

97+ the TT was changed to VVTi, later the NA was also changed to VVTi (these are VERY rare).

All Supras are 2 + 2, no 2 seater version.

Welcome to the club huwt4ng
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_grin.gif

The facelift Supras (96+) had minor exterior and interior cosmetic changes such as different headlights, indicators and rear lights. The dash layout was changed, this is the easiest way to tell one from another, early models have 3 main large gauges, the facelift models have 5 (2 large gauges, 3 smaller).

A little after the facelift models were released the TT was changed to VVTi, later still the NA was changed to VVTi (these are VERY rare).

All Supras are 2 + 2, no 2 seater version.

:repost: :p

Guest saahild

All mark 4 supras are 4 seaters.. in theory anyway. I am in the same boat as you mate. But since im 18 bell have kindly decided to insure me for £2000 as a first driver with no no claims and only been driving one year with mom as second driver. This is still way above what i can afford not to mention the running costs. And as iv been driving for the last year almost i can tell you get a slow car because there is just soo much going on on the road that you have to get used to before you can even think of booting the car around. Things like trafic and roundabouts and general day to day driving is quite hectic and it will take most of your concentration without having to worry about a big powerful car underneat you. But im glad im not the only guy in this situation of not geting affordable insurance.

i got my first n/a when i was 18 and believe me i loved it, but it was still nothing like what id driven before. i was used to driving a passat turbo (150bhp) lol and then my first car was a 4x4 nissan pulsar. i must say it was alot faster than my na was, but driving the na was a whole new experience with regards to the rwd. when the back end first kicked out thats when you realise that the car aint playing around! have to be really careful so if you DO get a supra then be very careful when driving, end of the day you know its a fast car so no need to pull stupid stunts. im 21 now but my back end has slided out on me many times through the years, and i can not say that ive really got control over it if it happens. ofcourse i dont arse around any more :)

But im glad im not the only guy in this situation of not geting affordable insurance.

We've all been there, just for some of us it was a while ago now :D

huwt4ng

To buy a Supra, or any car for that matter, and lay it up for 3 years is madness.

You'll lose loads of money on depreciation, and cars just don't like not to be driven.

Things start to seize up after extend periods of non use (like valves, eh Rosie ;)) and you'll probably find yourself, at the end of 3 years, with a car that needs a fair amount of work, just to get it running as well as it was 3 years ago when you bought it.

Far better to buy a car that you can afford to insure and use it, therefore gaining valuable driving experience for the time when you get the Supra.

You'll be able to afford a later Supra for the same amount of money and if you search carefully, I'm sure you'll still be able to pick up a low mileage car.

Anyway the way that prices are going at the moment, in 3 years time, we'll be giving them away just to get rid of them :(

Thank you all so much, this is all very helpful and my thread is barely 5 minutes old! So now I basically have a painful decision on where to sacrifice the aero top or the RHD! aaarrggghh. Thank you all again. This is the type of guidance I have been looking for!

Considering your age, it might be worth buying a AUTO aerotop and converting it to manual, by collecting the bits over time, have the conversion done and then insure it, give yourself a year to buy the car, and find all the bits, etc.

Would make the experience even more exciting if you had the car on the drive, knowing that you own a Supra...

Ok it would seem your in the same mind as I was when I was 17 I ended up buying a classic Mini Cooper, that was an awesome car loads of fun down the wiggly roads and would out handle nearly every other car. I then decided I wanted a 2 seater sports car with twin tail pipes, well the line up was either an MR2, MGF or a Honda S2000. As I couldn't afford the S2000 and the MGF is a bit gay I went with the MR2. My insurance doubled and the HG went costing me 1000 that took me a while to pay off, If I had kept the mini until I was 21 and not got the MR2 I would have been able to buy a mint Supra TT.

What I am trying to say in a roundabout kinda way is good things come to those who wait, think about it a bit and go with your head. If possible set up a spreadsheet to see your incommings and outgoings to work out if you can afford your dream.

Hi there,

I am a young enthusiast of MKIV Supras and have been for as many years as I have been interested in motor vehicles (which is not a great amount of time to some, being 17). I have now had the fortune of being financially able to purchase my own supra but I do not no where to start. I have endlessly trawled the internet to find my perfect supra, i would like it to preferably to have:

Around a 1994/1995

3.0 N/A Engine

Manual Gearbox

Aero Top Roof

I have read that these models are rare? Is this true?

I dont mind about condition so much, as I am to rebuilt alot of it.

Is it advisible to possibly a much more available Automatic version of the above and going for a gearbox conversion?

I have also understand you can save £££ by importing, yet I have only found this to be more expensive. Any comments?

I understand that this is not a online showroom, I am just looking for any help anyone can provide. I am hellbent on getting the above car. Supras are amazing!

Alot of questions, I know, But I am a young mind buzzing with questions. Sorry.

Thank you for your help.

Huw S. Davies :)

have you tried getting an insurance quote first dude??

I'm 99% sure they are no RHD Manual aero tops, I too have seen one advertsied but it may not have been like it in stock form, having been looking at supra's for 5 years that was the only one I have ever seen advertised.

N/a auto aerotop's are pretty good value but you'll be wanting that TT trust me! you'll probably find someone that will insure you but prepared to pay 5k plus! I'd seriously wait, buy something cheap to run around in and save as much as possible, or get youself a 200sx s13 or s14 depending on budget, it'll be a nice learning curve :) or maybe a mk3 supra with a 1jz engine?

Welcome.

good luck in your endeavers to get a Supra, Insurance is a pain at your age, but liked the idea you had of buying one, leaving it idle in the garage and working on it (doing it up) etc, personally at your age i would of been too tempted to drive off in it a few times regardless of insurance etc, I used to drive my first car i ever had illigally, before i even got my test (not reccomended) but i couldn't resist.

You might get insurance on an NA, then you can get an Aerotop one, I have never driven an NA but they still have some poke..then maybe trade it for a TT later!

Best advice i can give....is.....'wear Sunscreen!'

Si

(-: