The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The time has come!

fastisnice

good luck with the project, i love all these projects starting to take off. what sort of times has a sp71 ran in america?

i was looking for some specs of my new turbo other night and read a forum saying kean of boost logic has a t71 gtq and has run a 9.98 second pass.

thing is when you at strip you would be best running best fuel for safety. you wont be running full power on street.

keep us posted with pics of your install and how you get on. what injectors you going with.

also thought RLTC and NOS dont go too well together

tractions going to be hardest thing to get

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

I am afraid, as far as US claims go, I take everything any American says about performance claims, and many other things, with a huge pinch of salt... :innocent:

What so you're disputing actual 8 sec runs now? The claimed BHP/rwhp difference may be fair enough, but you cant dispute the times.

I really wish that Dusty could get his Supra over here. At least for some feedback on the differences in Tracks. I think there has to be some major difference due to the discrepancies of our BPU timeslips to the US timeslips.

Maybe also to hear some of the naysayers talk smack face to face on the strip..lol.

:baa:

Ok, US secs are not bigger their RWHP are much bigger than UK, come on! the only powerful supra i've seen running a 1/4 mile officially in the UK (i mean in one of the well know events) is Leon's which was running at 600bhp, he did 11. So why not? thewy are running some mad boost at 30psi+ they can easily achieve good 9's with the right tyre. I dont think 850bhp is an issue for breaking the gearbox supra. I've seen supras running 1200RWHP with no problem breaking axles or gearboxes. I won't be spending nowhere near 20K.(I have a manual by the way). My budget is around 7-8K. I already got FMIC/ECU and some bits. I think its bloody worth it.

--Rocket ronnies runs high tens with drag tyres and around 650RWHP(thats the max on a T-78). My turbo is rated for 850RWHP and they 've run a flat 10 without NOS!!. Obviously i wont be running 30PSI on the street, only when i want to race something really worthy or do a 1/4 mile. Yeah then probably i will be using cool blue. 1.8/1.9 no need for racing fuel, my mate has a drag race fiat coupe with over 500RWHP and 1.9bar boost, no racing fuel, never had any problems. Obviously when they map the car for me they will make sure they do it so it doesnt blow up!!. Mapping is the key here. I will be using 850cc or 1000cc most likely.

All the best to you!! Im glad some of the U.K guys are getting into the high performance stakes!! Pls stop listening to the naysayers about every single detail..... each one seems to have their own opinion on what is possible or not..... I would suggest you focus on your project than listen to what times or HP is possible from people who have not yet achieved it!! People in the U.S have achieved fantastic times and numbers....apart from the track.

Someone has to set a standard !!:thumbs:

Originally posted by fastisnice

Ok, US secs are not bigger their RWHP are much bigger than UK, come on! the only powerful supra i've seen running a 1/4 mile officially in the UK (i mean in one of the well know events) is Leon's which was running at 600bhp, he did 11. So why not? thewy are running some mad boost at 30psi+ they can easily achieve good 9's with the right tyre. I dont think 850bhp is an issue for breaking the gearbox supra. I've seen supras running 1200RWHP with no problem breaking axles or gearboxes. I won't be spending nowhere near 20K.(I have a manual by the way). My budget is around 7-8K. I already got FMIC/ECU and some bits. I think its bloody worth it.

--Rocket ronnies runs high tens with drag tyres and around 650RWHP(thats the max on a T-78). My turbo is rated for 850RWHP and they 've run a flat 10 without NOS!!. Obviously i wont be running 30PSI on the street, only when i want to race something really worthy or do a 1/4 mile. Yeah then probably i will be using cool blue. 1.8/1.9 no need for racing fuel, my mate has a drag race fiat coupe with over 500RWHP and 1.9bar boost, no racing fuel, never had any problems. Obviously when they map the car for me they will make sure they do it so it doesnt blow up!!. Mapping is the key here. I will be using 850cc or 1000cc most likely.

Who told you that an SP71 will make 850 rwhp dude ??? maybe flywheel , and if you want 850 rwhp you shouldnt even be thinking of 850 inj. , £7K to buy a single and kit and build a bottom end and port and polish a head , sorry Costas but you are dreaming , heres a breakdown of some costings

Single and kit £3500

Uprated clutch and flywheel £2000

AEM and mapping £1200 + £1000 +++

Cams £700

Headgasket £300

Fuel system £1500

Built bottom end £5-7000

Headwork £5-1000

Drag radials £400 + wheels

uprated Radiator £400

and whatever you consider necessary for safety

I wish you luck with spending only £7K and the more hi power sups the better but i think you need to research a bit more before you start

:thumbs:

Dude:flame Dev

Ok....lets see what they have achieve with an SP71 shall we?

"Sound Performance affectionately refers to this Supra as their "Junkyard Supra." Purchased with a blown motor and needing a lot of care, this car was thrown together for its first race, where it managed to get within a tenth of a 10 second pass on the stock fuel system (and narrowly missed winning the 11 second bracket at NOPI 2000, being disqualified for not having a roll cage after winning all races).

This car has become a perfect balance between performance comfort and style and is daily driven when Chicago weather cooperates. It has run a best of 10.2@137 with the

SP67 and has not seen the racetrack since the SP71 has been installed.

Performance:

current - 10.2@137MPH w/SP67 on slicks - low boost

old - [email protected] w/SP63 on slicks

old - [email protected] on stock fuel system w/ SP57 on slicks

List of Modifications:

SP71 .81A/R Turbocharger

SP Racing stainless steel header

SP Racing fuel kit with 850cc injectors

SP Racing 4" cold-air intake

AEM EMS

FJO wideband controller

HKS 264 Camshafts

HKS GT wastegate

HKS Racing BOV Type 2

HKS DLI

HKS EVC EZ

Apexi FMIC w/ custom piping

Greddy SP exhaust

Defi gauge set, including Boost, EGT, and Fuel Pressure"

"SP71GTQ (Call Larry For Best Pricing) This is the newest of the GT turbo technology. The compressor wheel is a one of a kind. It is machined out of a billet piece of aluminum on a 5 axis CNC machine. This allows the wheel to support very high boost levels, making huge power while spooling like a much smaller turbo. RWHP rating is 850. Features the anti-surge compressor cover"

Single and kit £3500 --------bought that

Uprated clutch and flywheel------- £2000--------got that

AEM and mapping £1200 + £1000 +++ ------got that (i need to map it)

Cams £700 need that

Headgasket £300 need that

Fuel system £1500 --------1000 pounds i can get it for

Built bottom end £5-7000!!!!!!!???? -------pistons/rods/valve retainers and double springs are 500 pounds i can get them for 1000 pounds, you dont need crank at 850@the wheels

Headwork ------£5-1000!!!!!?? do that for 300 pounds

Drag radials £400 + wheels I got 17"s which are good for drag, might buy another ones not sure yet

uprated Radiator £400 i can get it for 300 pounds...

Labour is not going to cost me much as all the work will be carried out by my very good friend...

Thats not dreaming is it, say 9/9,5 with all labour easy!

john you quoting uk prices, the lad is importing his own stuff a lot cheaper. you always dont have to go the branded off the shelf items like blitz greddy hks and all the others. lots of work could be custom made to keep costs down.

that bottom end rebuild seems a bit pricey. you only have to read of big power cars running stock cams and internals.

also you shop around and you can get a monster new technology turbo for little money

you should see lees garret gt 42 it was cheaper a lot cheaper than anything you can get over here. gaz was quoting £500 for a little t50 pea shooter turbo

shop around and you can do loads cheaper than uk prices

would be a good comparrison uk prices against us/jap prices

good look to the projects everyone is taking on

Mark the guy is saying his budget is £7-8K , that wont even cover a decent bottom end , everything he's mentioned is 'brand names' and he hasnt considered the labor to put it all together , i dont care if he is buying it himself hes WAY WAY off budget and telling me what the yanks run using a SP whatever means nothing they run on prepped tracks using slicks etc with suspension developed in the land of the straight line , if he thinks he's gonna run low 10's and 850 rwhp in a SAFE and RELIABLE car hes so far off its laughable , sure i can build him a 10 second car for less than that but it will only do it once or twice , all i can say is look out for the mushroom cloud !!!!:D

Take a look at horsepower freaks and you will freak out:D :eek:

Totally unreal prices for the UK, like Monkeymark said, it will be much cheaper to import stuff yourself (which is what i will do) or find 2nd hand stuff around...than go to an importer, its only a call away from the right place...

haven't decided on the injectors yet, maybe 1000CC not sure i will seek pro advice but SP are running 850cc with all their 71's

hey and dont forget the NOS i will be running on the top of what ever figure i can squeeze out of my SP71..If its 700-750RWHP its good enough for me(850 flywheel)+125 shot of NOS..That will do

Monkeymark, its nice to see more powerful supra projects coming on, its about time!.We kind of seem to be stuck around 400-550bhp which is pretty not enough for Supra representation in the UK.

PS The skylines talk too much hehehe:flame Dev :flame Dev

Monkeymark, its nice to see more powerful supra projects coming on, its about time!.We kind of seem to be stuck around 400-550bhp which is pretty not enough for Supra representation in the UK.

Depends what you want to use the car for. I'm hoping for around 550BHP from my single (assuming the project goes ahead) but I want something *reliable* and useable on the road/track which will take pump fuel.

Never seen the attraction of drag racing but if that's your thing then go for it :) The exchange rate is very very good at the moment, be criminal not to take advantage of it!!

Laughable or not, i dont care what you say this is the cost whether you believe it or not. I dont care really my bank account and me know that.

Now when you get a 700-800bhp+ supra you can pay 40K if you like thats up to you;)

i 'll have it done with less than 10K, ill scan the receipts and ill post them to you...Obviously you dont have access to the US sites or prices,

PS we 'll see that on the dyno:flame Dev

The only cloud of smoke you will see will be

off my tyres when i push the pedal to the metal.

--Whats out for a silver rocket--

fastisnice have you run your car in present form at any drag strips?

you seem to be into racing other cars, wasnt it you with all the kills posted before they got took off the board. i like drag racing myself. as im no good on corners. been on a couple of tracks the elvington was fun. and had a go on donnington race track which was a lot of fun, would imagine trackdays been a lot harsher on car than dragstrip. but saying that hard launches wont do your car anygood.

with dragstrip times its like sort of something to compare with other cars to see how you do. track days are fun if you can drive.

just been out in supra and its mad in ttc mode, that lsd seems to have helped me loads. i would be so happy with stock turbos as they are mad when you tune car.

you see some cars that do real good times with hardly any mods. makes you wonder if its worth all the extra to go a couple of seconds faster :)

hey and dont forget the NOS i will be running on the top of what ever figure i can squeeze out of my SP71..If its 700-750RWHP its good enough for me(850 flywheel)+125 shot of NOS..That will do

How are you going to retard your timing when you run the NOS then ???, I wish you luck with the project , out of interest post up a costing of how much you see it coming too !!! and dont forget the shipping and import duty and the VAT as you will have to pay something , im well aware of horsepower freaks i used them to make a point a while ago !! perhaps the mushroom cloud wont be the only smoke around , we must take into account whatever you are smoking !!!:D Even taking into account The $$$$ at the mo my prices arent far out , take the turbo kit and single @ £3500 thats how much they are when you buy everything , all the little extras you will want like heatshields , decent Mykalor clamps , heat coatings diff trim wheels etc , and you forgot the main thing the car is a manual the chances of YOU being able to run a 10 are allmost nil , look at HP freaks own members list most of the 6 speed cars are in the mid 11's .:sly:

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/ShowVehicleInfo.asp?ShowModel=1&ModelCd=SUP4

Dude,

The AEM does have very good NOS control built in so he should have that covered.

Fastisnice,

Nice project, as for the mapping of the AEM if you need this done I can get that done at approx 1/4 of the £1000 quoted subject to fuel, dyno time etc.

Regarding BHP numbers I would suggest you wait till you get on a dyno or track, I think it is possible to have to much power as it gets to the stage where you just can`t get it down.

:thumbs:

I got an HKS twin plate clutch and an HKS F-CON S. as far as the NOS concerns, i'm getting a progressive controller so that shouldn't be a problem considering the F-CON can controll that quite well. I haven't got an AEM ECU...I meant ("got that" as an alternative fuel controller/mapping).

I agree that obviously i won't be running 10's all day long..but when it comes to launching the car, i will get good at it with practise. I will have low boos at 1.6 bar for every day use which is safe for even a stock supra. 2 bar when i go mad and put some higher octane fuel. THough i think that if you map properly an ECU you can manage running higher without any pinging. We will try and see.

Monkeymark: What LSD have you got? I was looking into getting either a TRD or a Cusco RZ...Have you got just the UK spec?

You 've done some good times considering you have the standard TT setup, was that with drag tyres? I have heard that the LSD will help loads to put some of the power down(specially launching) which is my current problem. I still haven't fit the RLTC..and no LSD at all.

I dont do track days, not because i can't turn very well but i would feel sorry for my car:(, if i go on the track i will drive it like a maniac and i dont want that..

Im into racing face to face on a straight line, the point is to see who is got the faster car/fair race and do it as safe as possible. I wouldnt risk my car going nuts on corners to prove that i can turn fast..Though i tried my car cornering while i was in Greece on S-bends and i can tell you supras can corner! considering i had a 4x4 WRX b4.

I still haven't used any drag/street tyres but i will be getting a pair for racing 1/4 miles etc.

Monkeymark: What LSD have you got? I was looking into getting either a TRD or a Cusco RZ...Have you got just the UK spec?

You 've done some good times considering you have the standard TT setup, was that with drag tyres? I have heard that the LSD will help loads to put some of the power down(specially launching) which is my current problem. I still haven't fit the RLTC..and no LSD at all.

done my best time with below bits

hks 264 264 cams n cam gears

cw decat pipes

blitz nur spec. fmic.leaking bov

powerhouuse tc

rltc

jap stock fuel pump

jap 440cc injectors

no boost controller or fuel mods

on khumo supra tyres

since fitted

water injection

UK lsd (seems to be quicker)

want to try some drag radials and a walbro with 12v fuel mod and get a better time before i take them off. a 11.99 will be good if possible

Dude i still dont think you will be able to run 1.6 bar on optimax i would say closer to 1.2 bar and then only if you lower the compression a bit , get yourself some Det cans to listen for det and a 'knocklink' type set up to moniter det , seriously unless you are lowering the compression a lot i cant see you running these boost levels safely with any sort of decent timing advance , can the F-con control timing as well (for the NOS and to back off for crap fuel ??)