The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil leak, coming from HKS SSBV?

Dash Rendar

Hi All

First off, this is my first post on this forum. I've owned a Supra for about a week now, and I still can't wipe the smile from my face! :)

Problem is, I have oil appearing and I know very little about engines (except that I like fast ones)...

There's a small river of oil appearing in the engine bay, sitting just underneath the big fat air pipe going down to the HKS air filter mushroom. (Like my lame use of terminology?) Some oil also seems to have dried on the very top of the air pipe, and I'm almost certain it's coming from the HKS blowoff valve which sits right in front of the pipe. If I can, I'll attach a picture to help explain.

The engine oil level seems to be at max. Could it be that the system is simply venting excess oil, or have I got problems? :(

oil1.jpg

Hi M8 and welcome

A 'small' amount of oil 'spray' is normal from the BOV and in the induction pipe (the big mushroom thing!)

(BTW - ditch the big mushroom thing - made by HKS and NOT recommended IMHO!)

But when you say 'river' - that is not a good word to discribe any leak!!

I am not a million miles away (West London just up M3) if you want it looked at and fancy a drive -

Or give me a call 07939 111 877 and I can recommend someone to look at it for you just down off junct 10 M4

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for your rapid responses guys!

Here's another pic, from the top... Would you consider this to be a 'river'?

BTW, the guy who sold it did tell me that when he had it serviced, they'd overfilled the oil and so I could expect some oil... I know it sounds like a tall tale, but I do trust the guy.

oil2.jpg

car should not b run with oil over max level, drain some out. it sounds like yr turbo oil seals may be going, but try it with the correct level of oil first, it may cure it.

do a search on the filter thing there's lots of different opinions.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for not updating this thread. Since Suprachargedtt is suffering a similar problem, I thought it was time for an update.

I'm pretty sure my problem was overfilling. Once the oil level dropped to the max on the dipstick, I haven't seen any more oil appearing (other than a light spray from the BOV). It's been running like this for a couple of months now, so I'm extremely relieved! My garage told me I'd need to get turbo #2 rebuilt. Glad I didn't...