The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU - how many miles will it live?

Homer

I'm wondering the same, I have a UK TT6, it's done 113k miles and doesn't have any problems that I know of, no smoking etc. I double decatted along with a CW SMIC and Fluidyne Radiator about 4k miles ago, I don't intend on raising the boost and it's boosting to 1.0bar at the moment.... hopefully it'll keep running smoothly for a while yet!

Type: Jspec 6sp manual

Age of car: 1994

Time since going BPU: aprox 12 months

Miles before BPU upgrade: approx 75,000

Miles recorded since BPU: approx 15,000

Boost level: max 1.2 bar

Problems: None *touches wood*

Useage: admittedly i'm very heavy on the right foot, but isn't that the whole point of having the power otherwise i would have bought a Micra:p

well all instances of valve stem seals are totally unrelated IMHO so lets disregard them in the context of this thread.

Be interesting to know what is up with yours for sure supraloopy, thought we were doing well but there will always be failures - even brand new fails sometimes!

well all instances of valve stem seals are totally unrelated IMHO so lets disregard them in the context of this thread.

Be interesting to know what is up with yours for sure supraloopy, thought we were doing well but there will always be failures - even brand new fails sometimes!

But i'm going down the turbo route ATM. Does anyone know how to get the pcv valve out of the cam cover? although i don't think this is the problem as ive srayed it with carb clean till the can ran out hhehehe:d

• 1 month later...

Time since going BPU: 5 months

Boost level: 1.1 bar

Miles at BPU upgrade: 98,000ish

Miles recorded since BPU upgrade: 5000ish

Usage: Every day

Problems: Valve stem seals (unrelated) Bit smokey for a couple of months on start/ away from lights. .....

Then..........:bang:

ejected some ceramic parts from my exhaust !!:(

Just thought i would add this as anyone doing a search may think they don't break.

BPU Approx 1.5 years.

85K miles at start of BPU

50/50 -1.0 to 1.25 bar - 50/50 light/spirited

current mileage - about 111 K miles (will have to check)

3-4500 mile oil changes (using Shell Helix 10/40 and silkolene 10/40)

Turbo timer always used (Probably excessively! lol)

Problems - None

There was a time when I did get 'blue start up' smoke when I used Optimax. I then switched to Ultimate/Tesco 99 and I've not had the start up smoke for about 8 months.

Guys if you do have the 'blue start up' smoke and use Optimax, try using the other brand petrols for a few weeks to see if it stops!