The mkiv Supra Owners Club

sorry to be nosey but how old are you and who are you insured with

Guest Lucy

Thanks everyone lol.

I can assure you all that the pics are of me lol as you will see if any of you get to meet me but the first one was a pro shot taken when I was in my early 20's lol I am 28 now lol hee heee dont think I will need to post up a piccie of me with a hovis trust me peeps its me lol.:)

Thanks for advice on insurance interesting, right sorry more questions.

I am a bit worried as have heard stories of people losing their back ends etc I dont want this to happen to me having never owned a high performance car, I cant ge over how young some of you are and still have a supra you lucky b*ggers lol.

Anyway my next question is for those of you that drive a non turbo have you ever had any scary moments in it and do they do a traction control model I want to be able to drive well and there are alot of country roads round here which are fun to nip around but I wouldnt want to be scaring myself too much lol all joking aside though I think If I go for a non turbo and if they do a model with traction control I will be okay I know I am chickening out of the TT etc but I wanna be safe driving it too and some people (not on here) have been warning me and telling me stories which have kinds got me worried. I am a good driver though and can drive well in the car I have as I am used to what it can do and how it handles a rear wheel drive car is a complete different ball game for me ;)

Help :rolleyes:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive an N/A Lucy, and I would recommend anyone (especially people who have not driven ANY kind of performance car before) to own an N/A before a TT Supra. It's still a very fast, gorgeous looking car, and I for one am extremely happy I got this and not a TT. It's looks the same so only people who either know you, race you, or REALLY know Supras can tell the difference.

To answer your question - yeah there have been one or two shaky moments in the wet, but seem to be very easily and quickly corrected with a slight adjustment. It's all about not giving it some during corners. I have seen (and driven) Supras going round corners at high speeds, but not accelerating and not losing it at all, but it's about getting used to what you can and can't do, both you and your car. Basically, personally speaking, I'd get a non-turbo to start off your Soop ownership, see how things go for 6-12 months, then maybe upgrade, that's kinda what I'm doing! Hope that helps, I'll shut up now :D

Maybe the TT has a bit more cudos but the NA is still a Supra and still rear wheel drive. Theres some sense in buying an NA now and a TT in the future when youve got used to the handling / performance / size etc. Although TC is obviously there as some sort of get-out clause, its no substitute for actually learning how to drive a rear wheel car and getting used to it, in the dry and the wet. First week will be nerve wracking but youl be suprised how quick you gain confidence.

Country lanes are narrow, Supras are quite wide...as Ive found out myself.:)

You are going to love it.:D

i am 20 years young

3 points

0 no claims bonus

mods declared

paying £1900 with CIS give or take a few pennies

oh btw its a j/spec tt

blimey im with cis and im paying just over 500 ponds but it is third party fire and theft and im 32 or 33 dam it i can never remember what age i am

yep, I'm going to echo Super and Ewan and say you will be scared of it for the first couple of weeks but you'll soon get confidence..

I went N/A because I wanted a nice reliable car that would look sweet, be powerful enough, but basically be my work horse... people on here will tell crazy tales about racing Ferrari's at silly speeds, but in my 18 month ownership I've beaten everything that's stepped up to the mark (BMW's a speciality :D ) so the N/A is certainly not sluggish..

As Ewen said the key thing is to not accelerate around corners, I've lost it a few times doing that (erm, two days ago in the dry! with brand new tryes... doh!) so as long as you don't do that you'll be fine... also the size of the car will be a massive change from the Pug.. the bonnet basically goes into the oncoming lane when you pull into a narrow road... watch no-one's coming the other way!

As far as traction control goes I don't think you need it and it will increase your understanding of how the car handles without it... when I go up to Middlesbrough to see the folks at Christmas I regularly drive it in two inches of snow no problem... you'll never see a TT owner trying that!

Also the auto box is a dream.. it's an absolute gent around town and will turn nasty when you want it to be! :D

Sorry if any of this sounds patronising but thought I'd throw my 2p's worth in... :)

Guest pompeysupra

Hi again,

Brought my N/A about a month ago, love it....... much better than 1.8 focus !!!

Drive with respect for the power until you get used to it and i'm sure you'll be alright.

Ive got to say i'm wondering what a TT's like....... the looks are great and powers addictive, I'm already thinking how can i get extra money for TT in about a year or so

buy and enjoy !!

Hi Lucy!

I'm 30, I've got a '93/94 NA. 8 years NCB. I pay about £550 through Sky. I'd recommend them 'cos they let you buy the car back if (touch wood) it's in an accident and becomes a technical write-off.

Also agree with what the others say about the NA. There's been one or two brown-trouser moments, but quickly corrected with steering and throttle.

As someone's sig says on here: "traction control? That's my right foot!" The NA has a smooth onset of power with no turbos to give you a sudden thump. Very predictable car when you need it to be, especially with a manual box.

Hope that helps! Good luck with the search!

Thanks Guys you have been really helpful sorry for asking so many questions theres gonna be a few more to come yet lol so I warn you now lol.

So what would you recommend for me a manual or auto? Also have been thinking of an FTO but I know your all gonna say nah get a supra lol. I am just thinking of safety and cost too but I love the way the supra looks just hope I can handle the beast ohh errr lol.

yep, I'm going to echo Super and Ewan and say you will be scared of it for the first couple of weeks but you'll soon get confidence..

As Ewen said the key thing is to not accelerate around corners,

:) Funny, cant remember saying that !

Manual vs auto is an ongoing friendly debate....loads of threads on here discussing the pros and cons of both....better you get a test drive in both so you can make your own mind up.

FTO's......nowt much wrong with them, but if you are this close to getting a Supra, dont back down now:)

:) Funny, cant remember saying that !

Manual vs auto is an ongoing friendly debate....loads of threads on here discussing the pros and cons of both....better you get a test drive in both so you can make your own mind up.

FTO's......nowt much wrong with them, but if you are this close to getting a Supra, dont back down now:)

well I could sense that that was what you meant.... :D (or dementia is setting in early..)

STEP AWAY FROM THE FTO!

(...sorry Sabrina, only joking! :) )

Seriously FTO's are a very nice cars, but get a Supra! you won't regret it..

28, N/A (with a couple of mods), 9yrs ncb, drive-way over night..

£520 if i remember correcly with Adrian Flux..

sky did match it, and I Will proabably be going with them next year due to more mods and their like for like cover..

Thanks Guys you have been really helpful sorry for asking so many questions theres gonna be a few more to come yet lol so I warn you now lol.

So what would you recommend for me a manual or auto? Also have been thinking of an FTO but I know your all gonna say nah get a supra lol. I am just thinking of safety and cost too but I love the way the supra looks just hope I can handle the beast ohh errr lol.

Hi lucy

If you are worried about whether you can handle a supe get the auto! I find i have to try quite hard to lose the rear in the wet and in the dry its steady as a rock.:D