The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help me decide what intercooler to go for

mikeyh

Sorry dude, can't comment - not seen it in enough detail...I'd expect it to be very similar to the Blitz unit though.

No probs, im in the process off fitting one as we speak along with twin Spal push fans, to force air through the rad, will let you know how it goes once I have it fully ducted it and put the fans in place

Mike

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So pretty much they are proven better than a 16yr old crumbled stocker. And they are cheap. Two completely valid reasons to buy them, of course, but as soon as flow path and flow capacity and pressure drop and overall charge cooling ability come into the equation it's a different case.

-Ian

Guest Terry S

just from another perspective, a single dyno run wont prove too much, it really needs multiple runs back to back to establish how the IC copes, and if it suffers from heat soak.

As Ian said, pressure drop across the core is another issue

So pretty much they are proven better than a 16yr old crumbled stocker. And they are cheap. Two completely valid reasons to buy them, of course, but as soon as flow path and flow capacity and pressure drop and overall charge cooling ability come into the equation it's a different case.

-Ian

just from another perspective, a single dyno run wont prove too much, it really needs multiple runs back to back to establish how the IC copes, and if it suffers from heat soak.

As Ian said, pressure drop across the core is another issue

hi terry what intercooler did you run with your old hybrid set up and what boost did it cope ok

So pretty much they are proven better than a 16yr old crumbled stocker. And they are cheap. Two completely valid reasons to buy them, of course...

-Ian

Nuff said really...

All the conjecture and what if's and but's etc dont mean a thing...

I am sure you could buy a race proven one to satisfy every critique - think I was speaking to Chris who mention £10K+... ;)

Anyway - I am not forcing anyone to buy one... or make any wild exagerated claims about their abilities...

Fecking hell, one week is this IC, the next its that IC........some of us buy more IC's on recommmendations then hookers get business.......

So given that your stocker IC was brand new, but you had to find an FM alternative (just becuse you do, before you say "but why would you want to"), nothing too big 2 row or 3 row, which would be your best option, remembering of course your not replacing a knackard stocker but trying to find a direct replacement for a A1 condition stocker, that A) is of good design to not stop rad air flow and B) actually cool charge temps :search:

Guest Terry S
hi terry what intercooler did you run with your old hybrid set up and what boost did it cope ok

HKS R type mate, which TBH was over kill. If it were my money I would buy the Blitz LM FMIC, or if single is on the horizon, a GReddy 3 Row.

that A) is of good design to not stop rad air flow and B) actually cool charge temps :search:

Ahh..there's the rub mate

As you and I both know from experience - the restrictive nature of an FMIC can cause mucho problems... with the rad and heat soak capability etc :(

IMHO I would only use a 2 row that had really good air flow through to the rad

Hang on - I have an article hear from Modified Mag in the USA doing a test on some of the ebay ones - I'll see if I can find it...

Ahh..there's the rub mate

As you and I both know from experience - the restrictive nature of an FMIC can cause mucho problems... with the rad and heat soak capability etc :(

IMHO I would only use a 2 row that had really good air flow through to the rad

Hang on - I have an article hear from Modified Mag in the USA doing a test on some of the ebay ones - I'll see if I can find it...

I know mate, and thats the reason Im asking, Im still suffering some slight heat soak issues even with a smaller Hybrid 2 row, its not no where near as bad, but Im now about to drop a PWR rad in to kill off that final bit of heat soak, I hope :D

Does anyone know what mods the PWR rad needs to get it in, I have heard there are a few slight modifications neeeded to get it in. I have chosen this over the Fluidyne as a) its half the price and b) slightly thicker, so Im told.........but dont need a major PITA in getting it in, anyone ????

Guest Terry S
how would you rate a greddy two row with a smalish single El Tel, I was hoping to use one with a view to going with a bl61 at some point??

Mike

Cant really say mate, never seen one up close, just on a car. The reason I said GReddy 3 Row is the piping mates straight up to the BL kit when you go single.

As far as airflow to the radiator goes, I have had no issue with the Blitz LM, and I know Burt runs a GReddy 3 Row with no issue, which includes a track day.

Alex out of interest how do you rate the Greddy 2-row?

Mike

I have the Greddy 2 row running BPU upto 1.25 bar.

My cars been on Dyno's a few times to check power and health, and has been checked with det cans on high boost (1.2-1.25 bar) both on the road and on Dyno and never had a problem.

The two row also allows a bit of air to go directly to the sides of the rad