The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to replace the SMIC

TLicense

Really? :confused:

Where did you struggle?

Well, removal was fine, no problems there. It was getting the new one in that turned into a bitch of a job. For a while I thought it just wasn't going to go. When I did eventually get it in, I realised the mounting hardware wasn't lined up right - there's some degree of erm adjustability on the brackets etc when you bolt them to the IC.

Also I couldn't get one of the bolts lined up on that Active Spoiler cover thingy that you mentioned, and then it was looking like the lower rubber hose could've done with being longer.

and then ( :rolleyes: ) I had the usual fun of fixing the undertray in place with all the sheared off bolts etc. This is my second Supra and my last one had half of the undertray bolts sheared off too.

All this with 500watts of heat pumping out of my shitty inspection lamp (ok, it's a garden flood light on a wire ;) )

Anyway, all done. The car feels like it has more of a kick when no2 turbo comes online, but that's possibly a placebo effect. I didn't do it with the intention of gaining power, more for peace of mind regarding engine safety.

I'm very grateful for the guide BTW, I didn't want to seem unappreciative. I was just having a sarcastic moan that's all :D

Sounds like you've been having fun! ;)

Unfortunately it was 9 months ago or so I did this, and I can't really remember the specifics (had to re-read this to remember most of it! God my memory is getting bad)

Anyway, I do vaguely remember something being tricky about getting it back together. But I think I mostly struggled with getting the pipework lined up. Hence the hint on loosening the clamp to the no.2 pipe. I guess I was just lucky with the brackets.

Anyway, glad it was of use. :thumbs:

Cheers,

Good write up. And the question we all (well, me anyhow:) ) need answering, is did just the intercooler replacement itself make any butt-dyno difference? Or did you do other things at the same time which made it impossible to judge the difference?

Well, removal was fine, no problems there. It was getting the new one in that turned into a bitch of a job. For a while I thought it just wasn't going to go. When I did eventually get it in, I realised the mounting hardware wasn't lined up right - there's some degree of erm adjustability on the brackets etc when you bolt them to the IC.

Also I couldn't get one of the bolts lined up on that Active Spoiler cover thingy that you mentioned, and then it was looking like the lower rubber hose could've done with being longer.

and then ( :rolleyes: ) I had the usual fun of fixing the undertray in place with all the sheared off bolts etc. This is my second Supra and my last one had half of the undertray bolts sheared off too.

All this with 500watts of heat pumping out of my shitty inspection lamp (ok, it's a garden flood light on a wire ;) )

Anyway, all done. The car feels like it has more of a kick when no2 turbo comes online, but that's possibly a placebo effect. I didn't do it with the intention of gaining power, more for peace of mind regarding engine safety.

I'm very grateful for the guide BTW, I didn't want to seem unappreciative. I was just having a sarcastic moan that's all :D

I agree. Just fitted a Chris Wilson SMIC I bought from Ryan G. Removal was a cinch but refitting was very fiddly. I reckon the lower hose should needs at least another 10 mm length. And I had to leave out the front bolt that near the tow point that held in the plastic active spoiler cover. Supe does feel snappier and more responsive. This guide was very useful. But didn't bother with battery earth disconnection as it locks out my ICE. :)

My lower hose blew off under 1.4 bar boost today cos the metal bit of the intercooler that the hose attaches to wasn't quite long enough. So I went back to the garage and mark cut the hose to shape it around the pipe more snugly. It fits on much better now and didn't blow off on the way home this time.

• 6 years later...

I printed this off and took it to my garage when they removed mine for me and replaced it with a CW one. They were massively impressed and grateful for this thread as they wouldn't have believed it possible otherwise. So they and I say thanks!

• 2 years later...