The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Window Tinting - New Legislation...

Matt Harwood

Bloody hell, I didn't realise they'd already issued MOT stations with light meters!

I wonder where he got his acceptable figure from?? - Any chance you could find out?

As for removing them, get yourself a heat gun or hair dryer and just warm up the film. You may need a sharp blade to start the removal.

It should simply peel off. You may need a spirit wipe to clean the glass off afterwards. - It's not too difficult.

Ok thanks m8 sounds like a plan for the weekend.

We (NI) have had all our MOT stations (remember we have proper MOT centres not just local garages doing it) upgraded over the last 2 years. All are now running this test as std :eek:

The 65% figure is the 70% rule with just a little leeway for error, as the guy had a little common sense.

Over here we need to pass 70% for the windscreen and both front side windows. All rear windows can be totally blacked out if wanted.

This has only come in the last few years as the centres have been updated, so can't see them changing it again. Our motoring laws are a little differnent so maybe it went through for us quicker.

• 3 weeks later...

WTF

"Ordinary non-tinted window glazing being around 80% visibility, a 30% reducing tint film applied to your vehicle would still be illegal. It surprises people that they don't get 100% visibilty from their clear windows but this is due to a lot of the light being reflected and refracted."

So, if you have very light smoke then, it's still illegal - Unless you have a sub 10% reducing tint.

• 2 years later...

Good it will force my wife to finally get rid of the God damned stuff on her Jeep. If I wasn't so frightened of her I'd have ripped the stuff off months ago, it should be banned, serves no purpose at all other than be "trendy". Sorry if that upsets anyone, but give me one legitimate reason for blacked out front side windows?

i have a cop shop about 1 minute from my house. every time i go out i go past it.

i have never been pulled in the sup. and they have never looked at me as if its nicked. my windows are tinted but so are many other cars. surely it would be a massive call back of thousands of cars and cost a fortune to get this changed . i had mine done cos i liked the look of the BMW, range rover, jeep, mercs, etc..............

why do modded cars only get clobbered with the "you cant tint the windows" crap, wen almost all of the top manufacturas do it.

blacked out windows arnt good IMO just a light smoke looks classy.

I've just had all my five windows tinted in light smoke, which looks really good I think. I also work at police HQ for Sussex and i've had nothing but compliments !:cool:

Light smoke is the darkest i'll go because anything else really is just to dangerous for driving at night. Just my 2pence worth