N/A thoughts

DannySZ

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a n/a, it has been reliable beyond belief and passed m.o.t. with no problems, however the only looks i seem to get are piss take ones and i struggle to out perform a lot of cars, porsche boxter absoulutely nailed me, very easy to get used to it's performance and a golf gti is as fast with good back seats and a decent boot, however for the money you cannot prob go faster providing you like 2 seater cars and have no luggage and doing 18 mpg

http://www.charlesdavey.co.uk/images\Supra\TS1.jpg

my N/A i love it ... dont want a tt as i drive way to far every day (75miles) and so far my na has been bullet proof engine wise and very reliable etc...

Charlie

[qimg]http://www.charlesdavey.co.uk/images\Supra\TS1.jpg[/qimg]

my N/A i love it ... dont want a tt as i drive way to far every day (75miles) and so far my na has been bullet proof engine wise and very reliable etc...

Charlie

great NA

another good one ..... maybe a NA appreciation thread :D

http://members.aol.com/jshipperley99/bumper3.jpg

a lot of hot hatches etc which seem to have more grip, you can reel them in eventually usually but at law breaking speeds, you don't get instant poke, however i am used to it and want a tt really so am just moaning, if you have driven a normal car then n/a will feel awesome and i suppose 0-60 time is quicker than a lot of cars on the road i.e 6.5-6.7, i was just saying that you can get cars as fast i.e golf gti which will still do 30mpg etc etc however they do cost £20,000. Past 80leptons per hour you really do get some pull however. As soon as i can i will get a tt . the n/a is slower in comparison to a tt, it is like saying a ferrari 430 is slow in comparison to an enzo really, and reliability wise they are awesome.My m.o.t tester could not believe the car, there were no advisories on the m.o.t he said he had seen 3 year old cars in worse condition!!, and i use mine all year round. My advice would be to offer someone from the forum a few quid to view one with you, i did this and it paid dividends

good luck

Matt

I think the above post has a lot to do with Matt having an auto, which are harder to launch, a Golf GTi isn't going anywhere but backwards from a manual NA Supe, which can launch better than a TT from a standstill (until those pesky turbos spoil). There are no "hot hatches" that are gonna embarrass you, but there seem to be more and more these days that you aren't gonna beat until really silly speeds, if at all. Against much more powerful cars I find it's very close through 1st, you drop back through 2nd and then in 3rd they sail away (from experience against a Viper GTS and a 420HP Monaro).

Have personally killed an XKR (20mph roll), an Impreza, Boxster, Audi TTs, RS turbo (not until 90+), Elise (50mph roll), old school M5 (from lights - 120), twin turbo GTO (from lights - 80), mkii MR2 (dragstrip), Cupra R (dragstrip), stock 200SX (from lights) and a Carrera 4S (from lights up to 40mph in a torrential downpour).

Have lost to mkiii turbo (dragstrip), Monaro (from lights), fiat coupe (20-90) and a couple of seriously modded small old hatchbacks.

:looney:

nice car dude... is that lowered?

yep it is.. but they are adjustable teins ... set pretty high (as high as i dare) as i dont want to lose my bumper on speed humps/sleeping policemen:eyebrows: ...

i think you guys said it correct above...

you have to wait untill the powerband kicks in at around 5500rpm to really appreciate what you paid your money for :D

Charlie

i've only raced two cars since i've owned mine, and they were a fiesta ST, and a mini cooper s. against both cars up to national speed limit it was pretty much the same. But i agree that after that you can pretty much kill all hot hatches.

Any one raced a clio 182 sport?

I don't get this difficult to launch an auto stuff..? mine goes like the proverbial off a stick all the way through... nicer over 5k revs but only slightly...

Unless you have a too much adrenaline flowing an NA manual is quite easy to launch hard and fast without excessive wheel spin. A TT manual isn't so easy to launch as it can easily over power the tyres grip on launch but also at higher rev's in 1st and 2nd, where the na can only really suffer on initial launch, so get that right and on a road the 1st to 2nd shift will only result in a little chirp or slight wheel slip rather than full on wheel spin.

The na auto's do struggle down the strip against the manuals. IMO the auto TT's successes down the strip compared to manuals are due to the boxes ability to lay down the power efficiently without wheel spin, while the manual guys (unless using very prippy tyres-which nobody does!) struggle to stay on that knife edge of max acceleration/wheel spin.

With NA's there is not that excess power over tyre grip so IMO the manual will launch better even for Mr Average........

Sorry about all the questions guys, but ive thought of a couple more that i need 2 know about,

- Can you get a throttle body conversion for the n/a.. is there anyone on here that has if you can?

- also, if you lived on a long enough 'private' road... what would be the approx top end of the n/a.. just out of interest. im sure i read that it was 145??

Thanks again everyone youve been a massive help

Dan.

Sorry about all the questions guys, but ive thought of a couple more that i need 2 know about,

- Can you get a throttle body conversion for the n/a.. is there anyone on here that has if you can?

- also, if you lived on a long enough 'private' road... what would be the approx top end of the n/a.. just out of interest. im sure i read that it was 145??

Dan.

i heard top end was actualy a little more than that ;)

there is someone with a different intake manifold, but there isn't as far as i know a throttle body setup that gives any appreciable bhp gains.

thats about right i'd say.......maybe a smidge more per the speedo

Dan.

yes prof monkey on the forum has a modded NA and was dynoed at 230bhp at the wheels i believe. and he has had the throttle body converted to be like the TT along the side, also it is a bigger intake.

155mph is the top speed, ive seen 158mph (speedo) on private track and still just rising.....but id of had to go for ages to reach the real 155mph

You can get a different throttle body for the NA although it isn't cheap, Just ask Prof. Monkey! It looks pretty much the same as, and is situated in the same place as a TT intake and has a larger air capacity than the standard NA version.

You would not see a great deal of increase in bhp figure's, as an NA will only draw in a certain amount of air anyway. a safe figure would be around 5-6bhp more. as the air going in would be cooler. A. because it's not going over the top of the engine, and B. becaue it does away with a system that recirculates a certain amount of exhaust gases through the manifold!

This sort of mod would only be fully benificial if you are planning to go NA-T.

Unless you have a too much adrenaline flowing an NA manual is quite easy to launch hard and fast without excessive wheel spin. A TT manual isn't so easy to launch as it can easily over power the tyres grip on launch but also at higher rev's in 1st and 2nd, where the na can only really suffer on initial launch, so get that right and on a road the 1st to 2nd shift will only result in a little chirp or slight wheel slip rather than full on wheel spin.

The na auto's do struggle down the strip against the manuals. IMO the auto TT's successes down the strip compared to manuals are due to the boxes ability to lay down the power efficiently without wheel spin, while the manual guys (unless using very prippy tyres-which nobody does!) struggle to stay on that knife edge of max acceleration/wheel spin.

With NA's there is not that excess power over tyre grip so IMO the manual will launch better even for Mr Average........

Auto will probably give you same acceleration every time providing no box problems etc(about 6.7 to 60), whereas with manual it depends on your skill, kick down on autoboxes is awesome though and they are so smooth, suppose you could launch the n/a in manual mode and change from 1st to 2nd etc yourself, the odd hot hatch can get an instant lead but about 2 seconds later you reel them in especially at 4-5000 rpm, n/a also sounds awesome, more so than tt.By the way here is the mighty beast

4.jpg

My n/a auto is awsome past 5000rpm but it really suffers below this against hot hatches.The auto n/as suffer between 1st and second,it pulls like train in 1st then changes to second and thats where the problem lies-it bogs down at 4000rpm and takes a few seconds to get back in the powerband.By which time the hot hatch is gaining fast(which is awfully embarrassing) as soon as you hit the powerband you can leave pretty much any normal car for dead

This is the only thing i dont like about the auto,if you are not too worried about racing everything at the lights then i find the auto a much better ride(and no cluthes to worry about:) )

I was originally looking for a manual but after looking at 5 rough manuals i decided to check out an auto which was local and was surprised to find it immaculate and the rest is history.....

I was originally looking for a manual but after looking at 5 rough manuals i decided to check out an auto which was local and was surprised to find it immaculate and the rest is history.....

Im looking at getting a manual myself....although ive never driven an auto before. May be worth looking into getting a test drive in one... Just think i'd have more fun with the manual :)

Just waiting for the perfect N/A to come along now, how do they fair against the CTR?

Dan.

Dan i'd recommend a facelift NA 6 speed, there are a couple around the £6K mark on Autotrader

Thats pretty much what i'm looking at spending, had a browse through the trader and there's a few that have caught my eye. I'll wait till friday when my local mag come's out and see whats in there too.. i'm hoping to get a decent manual sooner rather than later! I'll definatly try out the auto too... never know do ya. Thanks mate!

Dan.