The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on rebuilding the VVTi 2JZ-GTE engine

osso

C'mon...a 57mm "single" won't put out more than 550rwhp (US-spec dyno). You'd really rebuild a perfectly-good 1000hp-capable (US-spec dyno) engine for a small single??? :rolleyes: Why not rebuild the v160 as well? And the diff too while you're at it. Just because they can handle 1500rwhp (US-spec dyno) doesn't mean they don't need to be rebuilt too? ;)

Money no object, I would rebuild the gearbox too. but gearboxes are easily replaceable, engines not so.

You say the stock engine is 1000hp capable, maybe so, but how long do they last?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pwpanas
Cool, I said your average engine like the V8's etc. as I've been rebuilding my Typhoon V6 and learning all this in the process. Excellent post on the shims btw. I'll be replacing my timing belt soon and was wondering if it's worth upgrading the tensioner bracket while I'm at it? Seen pics of broken ones and sounds like good insurance. Would this be a case of replacing something perfectly good except in a highly modded engine? Using a Gates racing belt, the blue one.
In a 2jz-gte, with 87lb dual valve springs, then yes replace the bracket. In a Typhoon v6 I have no idea.

Guest pwpanas
Money no object, I would rebuild the gearbox too. but gearboxes are easily replaceable, engines not so.
New OEM V160=~$5500 USD. New OEM 2jz-gte bottom end=~$3K USD. You make the call. To me, don't fix either unless it's broken, or you know 100% for sure it won't handle your power goal. Perhaps we should agree to disagree?

You say the stock engine is 1000hp capable, maybe so, but how long do they last?
For a typical Supra owner that's meticulous about octane vs. boost, and only dynos/drag races occasionally...probably a couple of years and 20,000 miles. A drag racer will go through several clutches before his 1000hp (850hp on a UK dyno) otherwise-stock 2jz-gte fails. Of course, there's lot of subjectivity and generalization in this answer so exceptions are definitely possible. Edited by pwpanas (see edit history)

In a 2jz-gte, with 87lb dual valve springs, then yes replace the bracket. In a Typhoon v6 I have no idea.

Ok cheers, fyi, the GM 4.3 V6 is basically a 350 SBC with a timing chain but wasn't referring to that. :)

The Supra is a stock '98 TT VVTI so unless I get the urge for more power at some stage, (which the Typhoon will easily satisfy by the time I'm finished with it :eyebrows: ), I probably won't be replacing the springs. Great link though so I'll bear it in mind! ;)

Guest pwpanas
Im not sure if there is a link anywhere, few differences off the top of my head, there is other things i have forgot im sure.

VVTI on the 98 cars

V161 gearbox or triptronic

smaller diff

smaller rad

Dash inserts and interior is different

They have different headlights/tail lights/ indicators.

Front bumper is slightly different.

Nice sumary - many thanks.

For a typical Supra owner that's meticulous about octane vs. boost, and only dynos/drag races occasionally...probably a couple of years and 20,000 miles.

So the cars are built just for dyno/drag bragging right?

I use to hate watching my car on a dyno - probably as a result of watching one of my j-spec turbo blow whilst being dynoed. The only reason I would choose to put my car on a dyno would be for setup/mapping. I would never put my car on a dyno to push it to the ragged limit just to see how much power it could produce, I just don't see the point - big risk just for a bit of paper with a number on it. A dyno run of a few seconds, with race fuel, monitoring everything, a stock engine may well handle these big numbers, running the same hp on a day to day basis on the road though would be a different story.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

I use to hate watching my car on a dyno - probably as a result of watching one of my j-spec turbo blow whilst being dynoed. The only reason I would choose to put my car on a dyno would be for setup/mapping. I would never put my car on a dyno to push it to the ragged limit just to see how much power it could produce, I just don't see the point - big risk just for a bit of paper with a number on it. A dyno run of a few seconds, with race fuel, monitoring everything, a stock engine may well handle these big numbers, running the same hp on a day to day basis on the road though would be a different story.

Seems to be a US pastime, if you look at some US videos, quite a few of the cars are even trailered to the dyno shootouts, see a few go pop too.

Personally i also see no point in rebuilding an engine if its in good condition, but i still see no point in trying to push it beyond what is an excepted reasonable maximum just for the sake of it.

I think you can enjoy the actual driving experience far more, in a well modded but usable powered car, than driving a complete animal.

Seems to be a US pastime, if you look at some US videos, quite a few of the cars are even trailered to the dyno shootouts, see a few go pop too.

Personally i also see no point in rebuilding an engine if its in good condition, but i still see no point in trying to push it beyond what is an excepted reasonable maximum just for the sake of it.

I think you can enjoy the actual driving experience far more, in a well modded but usable powered car, than driving a complete animal.

Jurgen's recent white TRD 3000GT springs to mind. I sooo wanted that car but £20k is a bit outside my sensible envelope. :(

Give it a few years though.......

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

Guest pwpanas

I'm not sure if you've been reading my posts. Right here, I wrote "it depends on the application and the desire for longevity". Dyno is one application (albeit a rather lame one all on its own, imho), as is drag racing. Fwiw, I agree with you that the primary use of a dyno should be for tuning. Also note that careful logging and re-tuning should be done post-dyno as well, since real-world loads usually create conditions not duplicated on the dyno.

• 4 months later...
Guest jaredb-123

I have been told that the max cam size u can go on a vvti is 272 any bigger and it will effect the vvti , will the vernia gear be able to handle big hp 800rwhp -1000wrhp ??? has any one done this ?

Back on the VVTi topic... I have a question about the timing belt. I saw few old threads about it, but not a definite answer. So I will just copy-paste the question, that Jake asked long ago:

"On a VVTi the intake cam gear rotates freely through about 20 degrees. So what's the drill for replacing the cam belt?"

The engine is out of the car and the VVTi oil line is off. Should I just watch for the TDC marks, just as on any other non-VVTi engine, or there is something specific to be done on the VVTi cam?

Guest jaredb-123

Np EMPEROR ...

Can some shed some light on my ? regarding the vernia gear . Will it be able to take 800-1000 hp ? has any one done this ? If not who has one for sale and ill test it myself .

Np EMPEROR ...

Can some shed some light on my ? regarding the vernia gear . Will it be able to take 800-1000 hp ? has any one done this ? If not who has one for sale and ill test it myself .

I think the helical shaft on the variable intake cam is controlled by oil pressure so load should be no greater than normal or proportional to crank revolutions rather than just overall horsepower. It's lifespan shouldn't be affected any more than the oil pump or the cams themselves.

I'm selling my VVTi TT but shipping to Australia will be very expensive! :D

Guest jaredb-123

[quote

I'm selling my VVTi TT but shipping to Australia will be very expensive! :D

Dude i have a VVTI supra lol

Dude i have a VVTI supra lol

Sorry, I just wondered how you'd test a VVTi cylinder head up to 800-1000hp with no engine and by extension, car, bolted to it unless you have an engine dyno? :)

By all means test your own one to destruction though. Just make sure to upload it to YouTube? :D