The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BP 102 ron fuel!

VELOCITY

For £2.42 a litre you should be getting a lot more than 102 ron, thats totally stupid money. For example tesco sell 99 ron which is 4 ron more than standard 95 ron petrol for 4p a litre more. BP102 would be 3 ron more than tesco 99 yet its £1.43 a litre more!

Although its scary that one day petrol probably will cost that much.

Tesco is NOT 99 RON. Have a read around. Also look into the refining process and you will see why extracting a few more RON is harder, but supply and demand is also a factor

can you save me the effort and point out where it says Tescos is not 99ron? Theres been plenty of people saying Optimax isnt 98.6ron but I havent seen anybody question Tescos 99ron (but then I dont get out much..)

JB

Tesco is NOT 99 RON. Have a read around. Also look into the refining process and you will see why extracting a few more RON is harder, but supply and demand is also a factor

What is it then? It has a kitemark type thing which Optimax doesn't have.

I work for bp and have found some info on it's intranet pages, probably the same stuff that on other sites but it basically says that it's been introduced specifically for the motorsport enthusiasts to use at track days and things like that and will only be made in small batches.

Bit of bumf

""Testing

BP Ultimate 102 Unleaded has been developed for vehicles tuned for increased performance. In the range of vehicles we tested, where the ignition was remapped, Ultimate 102 gave typical power benefits of between 4.0 and 7.5 per cent above normal Ultimate Unleaded 97. On a very high performance, turbo charged vehicle, with boost pressure increased, the power benefits seen included an increase in maximum power of 37 bhp (8.6%), and as much as 60 bhp (16%) at some points in the engine speed range.""

Don't think i'll be buying it myself though.

Well not until sales of this have boosted the share price to allow me to buy a higher performance machine :D

can you save me the effort and point out where it says Tescos is not 99ron? Theres been plenty of people saying Optimax isnt 98.6ron but I havent seen anybody question Tescos 99ron (but then I dont get out much..)

JB

I could be dreaming but havnt Tesco removed their 99 Ron advert from pumps? Some people taking them to court? Maybe I am dreaming.

If you look at the graphs available on the BP website (and read carefully the words C5 SUP posted 4 up) you'll see there isn't really much difference in the power & torque produced by their test vehicles, until the boost is turned up - i.e. we changed the fuel (oh and we also ran the car at a higher boost) and magically it produced more power! lol!

For more than twice the price of SUL I'm skipping it.

If you look at the graphs available on the BP website (and read carefully the words C5 SUP posted 4 up) you'll see there isn't really much difference in the power & torque produced by their test vehicles, until the boost is turned up - i.e. we changed the fuel (oh and we also ran the car at a higher boost) and magically it produced more power! lol!

Yeah, but the point is it protects against det, allowing you to run the higher boost you couldn't safely run otherwise.

It's not for most of us, but I don't think we should knock BP for making one more option available to the performance car enthusiast. Surely that's a good thing? People are ragging on it on Pistonheads too. If that's the sort of reaction petrol companies get when they try things like this, is it any wonder we don't have higher octane fuel available at pumps in this country?

:looney:

What is it then? It has a kitemark type thing which Optimax doesn't have.

I've definately seen BS7800 marked on the pumps for optimax, and below is an e-mail I got from Shell...

"Shell Optimax meets and exceeds both specifications; BS EN 228 (Premium Gasoline) and BS7800 (Super Gasoline). The key differences between EN 228 and BS7800 is the Minimum Octane Number requirements of the specifications, some detail is listed below.

Typical quality data are;

RON 98.1 - vs minimum spec of 95 EN228 and 97 BS7800

MON 87.5 - vs minimum spec of 85 EN228 and 86 BS7800

Density at 15degC - 738 kg/M3

Oxygenates, including MTBE, Ethanol etc - Less than 0.1%vol (none added)

Sulphur, ppm - 25

Note that Shell Optimax contains a high dose of our Retail Additive package, that provides fuel system anti-corrosion and detergency properties.

Many Thanks

Shell UK Customer Service Centre"

I'll be sticking with the 99 ron also, at least that is affordable!

Related to this, is there any octane boosting additive that can be used that actually works and doesn't break anything, for occassional spirited drives?

The NOS additives are supposedly OK. And also Amsoil Octane Booster.

Not cheap though...