The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pulled Over Doing 145mph!!!!!!

squiffy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the vascar has to track you for twelve seconds to get an accurate reading,so if you pass a patrol car doing 145 leptons and he is doing lets say 70 keep the foot down and leave at the next exit he wont be close enough to have the proper evidence on his video,but when he catches you he will give you a good bollocking.

Who is more dangerous, someone doing 40 in a 30 zone but paying complete attention to the road and surroundings, or a person rigidly sticking to 30 by constantly checking the speedo. This is just an example but I would say the 40 driver, as so much can happen in the time it takes to keep flicking your eyes onto your speedo.

Mark

But according to that thing driving clip they show on the tv, it's much more dangerous to drive at 40 - stopping distances etc.

If you're capable of driving at 40 without looking at the speedo you can certainly drive at 30 the same way, if you cannot then you shouldn't be on the road in the first place!:)

Guest Flat4_ire

i havent gone over about 120 in my supra, in my old integra DC2 tho i done 147mph on the N7, felt good and my god she sounded GOOOOOOOOOD

You got off easily.

When I was stopped doing similar speeds a few years back the cops had managed to 'lock' me on the Vascar as I was slowing down (very early morning on the M6, a few lorries were ahead and I take no chances)

For a while I was afraid they'd arrest me on the spot, then realised they were trying to fish me how fast I was going. Fat chance. In the end they decided to do me for just below 120 that they managed on the Vascar and (thank God) let me go my merry way down South.

I played the system and eventually got away squeeky clean, but for the next 8 months it was annoying.

I had left Scotland bit before 05:00 and they stopped me bit after 07:00 before B'ham. Didn't even know coppers were patrolling so early FFS...I tellya, you feel like a plonker locked in that copcar, knowing that it was all avoidable if you kept your lead foot off the pedal.

Im sure that a large percentage of the drivers on the road cannot do this. Throw speed cameras into the equation and all of a sudden people start to doubt there own ability and constantly check their speedo so as not to get caught out.

My example was just there as an illustration, of course this would be the case, and if people just did 25 in a 30 zone and concentrated then that would be even safer. I was simply trying to point out that lack of awareness is very dangerous as well :)

Just my opinion anway.

Mark

If you're capable of driving at 40 without looking at the speedo you can certainly drive at 30 the same way, if you cannot then you shouldn't be on the road in the first place!:)

Sorry I've been out all day, but this thread makes some interesting reading.

Anyway in relation to speeding convictions in Englad & Wales

A person prosecuted for speeding shall not be convicted only on the evidence of one witness to the effect that, in his opinion, the defendant was exceeding the speed limit. Corroboration may be provided by equipment in a police vehicle or other speed measuring equipment; or

evidence of 2 police officers (althought the court will decide on how much weight to place on such evidence.

lots of views on this one. i live in rural suffolk and dont feel very irresponsible driving at high speeds on certain roads at certain times after risk accessing.i beleive the only disaster could occur through blow out or major part fail. ok i am taking a risk by driving fast bearing this in mind but remember the 70 mph limit was imposed when cars handled braked and held the road like s**t. i have been driving very fast for 20 years without any accident so i must be doing something right. it also improves your low speed driving(in town past schools etc) as reflexes are so much sharper if evasive action is needed

just been reading through the replies and to clear up a few things:

the copper was on his own, said his speedo wasnt calibrated, he mentioned the vascar but dont know if he didnt have one or wasnt working. he was in an x5 beemer

I was cruising about 120 leptons but put the foot down shortly before the blues came on, he wouldnt tell me what speed he was doing to catch me.

didnt get a producer, he just looked at my license and checked insurance over the radio

True, but can you honestly say that you havent been up to that sort of speed? I'd bet that almost every person on this board has been well over 120.

Not me m8! Often wonder whether i should have my limmiter left in place, but then my mates come at me with ludacris quotes like "my Focus is faster than your Supra!" which really bugs me!

The Supra's a GT car, and I feel a lot more comfortable driving it at 180mph than driving my sisters 306 at 70mph. IMO use the car for what it was designed for, when conditions allow, and be prepared to accept the consequences if you're caught.

God when did this bored become a bunch of old grannies........... :p

Not exceeding 70mph, tucked up in bed by 21:00, mirror signal, manouver (sp)............personally I dont see the point in owning something fast if your not going to use it. Im a big believer in 'theres a time and place' for everything, and obviously doing 145mph at 17:45 on the way home from work aint clever. But doing it when everyone is off the road I dont see a problem with. Now I have owned my Supra 4 years now, never been caught speeding, not crashed it, 'yet', but like this morning when driving into London, M3, 06:00 in the morning, Im gonna put my hoof down, and it was well over 100 leptons, especially between the M25 Jct and the end of the M3 onto the A316, done that stretch of M3 in about 4 mins i think it was........ :D

The Supra's a GT car, and I feel a lot more comfortable driving it at 180mph than driving my sisters 306 at 70mph. IMO use the car for what it was designed for, when conditions allow, and be prepared to accept the consequences if you're caught.

Quite agree,leptons where possible if possible !