The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pulled Over Doing 145mph!!!!!!

squiffy

Ok,

last year I was in court based on a average speed of between 95-105 over a 2 mile period. I got 6 points and a £250 fine. So not sure what you would have got for that speed, probably 9 points and a 12 month Ban with a poss re-test!

Either way lucky lad...........

We each take a risk when we drive, I can get killed by an idiot at 5 mile an hour as easily as over 100. Something can fall from the sky etc, dont pick on the driver, he forgot he was in a speed car doubt he will do it again.

personally, i think 95-105 is fine in right road conditions. 70 limit seems ridiculous for a two or three-lane road.

as for the 145 speed would have given more than that if i was the judge. will make people think twice before doing it again. don't forget the beemer driver getting done for 145, we wanted him to get what he deserved.

i read the 5mph, and something like that happened in Bexhill other week. a 72yo guy was parking his small car between two others, and in process hit 4 of them, then hit a wall, and finally an old lady walking down the road, killing her. So its true things can happen at any speed.

yeah, the driver is in control of the car, so is responsible. all well and good for it to be said to 'be fun', but you have to learn. i sure dont forget what car i am in when driving.

theoretically, if i was going over 100 i would check the road conditions and everything else. all well and good going fast so long as you are safe and aware

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on dude, that's why i hate all these speed cameras. People fixed on their speedos making sure they're not doing more than 30mph, did they see the kid run in front of them, nope! I don't speed in built up areas but i don't keep my eyes fixed on the dials to make sure, i'd rather keep my awareness of what's about.

145 leptons ... jesus, very lucky. I've driven faster but if i got caught i know that i'd be screwed. Only been that fast in the early hours when doing a long distance drive, it's very tempting but a lot of the time you're lucking at going to jail. You're career etc is then seriously screwed :(

i agree 100% on speed camera's. mostly a waste of time.

your concentration and observancy gets taken away from you in the process.

good point, the early hours, that seems fine to me, so long as it is safe. Police and courts need to use judgement, not a blanket 'faster than speed limit' points or ban.

also, how many police drivers do you see with no lights on in bad weather, or not using indicators, quite a few on my travels.

wasn't there something a year or two ago, where one of the Senior Police in the Met was being driven at high speed around london as he was late for a meeting. double standards there. i think he was from the Traffic Division as well.

Germany has a better road safety record than the UK. Autobahns move fast, unless traffic is very heavy the driving lane is often cruising 90 to 100 and the overtaking lane I have seen cruise at 100 to 150 for many miles when not so crowded. There are few accidents, but major when they do happen. Of recent most involve high powered VW and merc vans which are about to have a limit imposed on them by the sound of things. The biggest single factor of autobahn accidents are lack of attention (using phones etc) and not reading the weather conditions, and driving too close.

We must remember that Germans can do this safer than us. Why, well if you want to work on a car you have to study and qualify, no self taught time served workers. If you dont have a certificate in suspension, you dont touch it etc. They also dont repair punctures or use remoulds, and use torque wrenches as often as possible, unlike the UK (cylinder head only chaps).

great post bud

Pulled over doing 145 and let off because the cop didn't have VASCAR working?

Yeah right.

very true, if he was the only copper in the car and his radar was not working, then there is no case as a coppers word alone is not word enough for a conviction. police officers are only allow to convict on there own if they have radar or video evidence, the only time they are allowed to convict safely with no electronic evidence is when they have another officer in the car to witness the speeds they were doing to catch up

if he was the only copper in the car and his radar was not working, then there is no case as a coppers word alone is not word enough for a conviction. police officers are only allow to convict on there own if they have radar or video evidence, the only time they are allowed to convict safely with no electronic evidence is when they have another officer in the car to witness the speeds they were doing to catch up
I'm pretty sure that's not right.

Any of our resident coppers care to comment?

Pulled over doing 145 and let off because the cop didn't have VASCAR working?

Yeah right.

I watched a program where a motorcyclist went past a slip road breaking the limit by quite a bit and because the cop car could not catch up and get a reading of speed, the guy was let off. But the guy had slowed to 70mph by time they got him.

I'm pretty sure that's not right.

I can personally vouch for that not being correct.

Sounds a bit unrealistic to me, this whole story, I mean what speeds was the cop having to travel at to catch him up too?

You sure he didnt give you a verbal N.I.P? Did he even hand you a producer for your documents? 145, you're probably looking at a year ban for speeding, and if they went with the DD you'll deffo have at least a year ban with a new driving license to be worked on.

The biggest single factor of autobahn accidents are lack of attention (using phones etc) and not reading the weather conditions, and driving too close.

I noticed last week on the German News that they are starting to fine people for driving too close. They have a sliding scale of fines but, less than 5m from the car in front and it's 200 Euro/£138.

They use unmarked cars with video.

Sounds a bit unrealistic to me, this whole story, I mean what speeds was the cop having to travel at to catch him up too?

Well over two junctions, which is about four miles in that area, then I would say FAST.

Any Police car that can go that quick would be used for high pursuit and if the Vascar wasn't working it shouldn't have been in service.

Well over two junctions, which is about four miles in that area, then I would say FAST.

Any Police car that can go that quick would be used for high pursuit and if the Vascar wasn't working it shouldn't have been in service.

They dont even need vascar, all thats required is a calibrated speedo and what the cop says he was doing.