The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Polished Alloys, 1 month old and corroding

carl0s

for cleaning i think

but if you want the guy's number he refurbed my volks to "like new" finish and thats what he said to keep them clean ;)

I'd be interested in getting his details... I read your other post on them - they looked great. They're the Volks with Antera centre caps aren't they?

I've used Prestige Wheels ion umm Derby I think.. somewhere up the A6 past Stockport.

I'd be interested in getting his details... I read your other post on them - they looked great. They're the Volks with Antera centre caps aren't they?

I've used Prestige Wheels ion umm Derby I think.. somewhere up the A6 past Stockport.

no he did these and they were that bad it was a though someone had got a chissel to them ;)

http://www.kirbz-zed.co.uk/103_0024.JPG

He also did the anteras on my 300zx

http://www.kirbz-zed.co.uk/309%20front.JPG

Cant say enought about the guy and he covers manchester mate :)

no he did these and they were that bad it was a though someone had got a chissel to them ;)

http://www.kirbz-zed.co.uk/103_0024.JPG

He also did the anteras on my 300zx

http://www.kirbz-zed.co.uk/309%20front.JPG

Cant say enought about the guy and he covers manchester mate :)

Ah, yes.. I read you talking about Volks in the other (very old I think) post, but the picture was of the Anteras ;)

PM me his details!!

I've taken my wheels apart more times than I care to remember. No they won't buckle without the centres in, they do hold up the weight of the car ;)

Polishing the corrosion out yourself would be a nightmare job and the corrosion will probably come back out of the metal... Also putting the wheels back together is a ghastly job as well, every mating surface needs to be clean and flat, and use mastic to seal it to avoid air leaks.

I hate split rims and corrosion and wheels in general. I nearly had a "fuckit" moment and got some Volk single piece rims, but then I found out they were made of some sort of chocolate equivalent strength metal - not ideal if you hit a pothole at 150mph - so I didn't and rebuilt the damn wheels AGAIN. And I might have to do it yet again if the corrosion comes back out :(

-Ian

Carlos,

Wouldn't the guys who sold you the wheels know what type of finish is on them?..

I would check before throwing chemicals/abrasives at them. Expensive wheel to mess around with mate.....:eyebrows:

well.. the rays site just says they're 'Forged'. I'm 99.9% certain it's just polished metal, apart from the centre area which is painted of course.

・Forged (Seamless) Rim 2 piece Wheel (Reverse Rim)

・Color : Chrome Silver, Mercury Silver (Extra 3,000 yen), RMC (Rays Metal Coat/Extra 15,000 yen)

・Special color : Extra 3,000 yen

・The OFFSET A in the size table denotes models matching big calipers of SKYLINE (including the BREMBO caliper of V35), FAIRLADY Z (including the BREMBO caliper of Z33), SILVIA, SUPRA, CELSIOR, RX-7, LANCER EVO. and IMPREZA (GDB/BREMBO calipers).

・The OFFSET L in the size table denotes models matching big calipers of CELSIOR.

・The OFFSET B in the size table denotes models matching big calipers of RX-7 and IMPREZA (GDB/BREMBO calipers/excluding 18 inch).

・The OFFSET C in the size table has little brake caliper and hub ring clearances, please be very careful fitting them on.

・The depth of rims in the size table denotes the length from flanges to faces of disks.

・Attachments : Valvestem, Hub Ring, Long Adapter

・Optional accessories : Center Cap

・Prices of parts : Valvestem 800 yen

・Taxes are not included in the prices.

I nearly

got some Volk single piece rims, but then I found out they were made of some sort of chocolate equivalent strength metal

Compressed milk bottle tops, innit?

Do you still carry that little air compressor with you in the car to blow your tyres up so you can get home? I remember you doing that at Boving(whateveritscalled) Bovington? Bovingthorpe?

I think you said it's a two man job putting three piece split rims back together, unless you want to take all day over it. Is that right?

What, as in :

Forged

verb

cheap and shoddy counterfeit goods

?

LOL. I'd forgotten about that use of the word..

No, as in

v. tr.

1. To form (metal, for example) by heating in a forge and beating or hammering into shape.

2. To form (metal) by a mechanical or hydraulic press.

:)

I've taken my wheels apart more times than I care to remember. No they won't buckle without the centres in, they do hold up the weight of the car ;)

Polishing the corrosion out yourself would be a nightmare job and the corrosion will probably come back out of the metal... Also putting the wheels back together is a ghastly job as well, every mating surface needs to be clean and flat, and use mastic to seal it to avoid air leaks.

I hate split rims and corrosion and wheels in general. I nearly had a "fuckit" moment and got some Volk single piece rims, but then I found out they were made of some sort of chocolate equivalent strength metal - not ideal if you hit a pothole at 150mph - so I didn't and rebuilt the damn wheels AGAIN. And I might have to do it yet again if the corrosion comes back out :(

-Ian

I think I'm in luck here. Mine are just two-piece wheels. I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but I suspect that means the outer part is a single 'barrel' and just the centre peice comes away.

I had the same thing happen to me with a set of Volk SF challenges. I went to a hand car wash and one of the idiot lads there squirted wheel cleaner with some acid in it on two of my wheels before I caught him. It did the same as yours and there was a milky appearance in places.

I just hand polished it out with a metal/chrome polish then topped it off with some quality wax afterwards. You will need to do it every time you wash the car or depending on how much you use the car in the wet. It will come back once the wax wears off...

I had the same thing happen to me with a set of Volk SF challenges. I went to a hand car wash and one of the idiot lads there squirted wheel cleaner with some acid in it on two of my wheels before I caught him. It did the same as yours and there was a milky appearance in places.

I just hand polished it out with a metal/chrome polish then topped it off with some quality wax afterwards. You will need to do it every time you wash the car or depending on how much you use the car in the wet. It will come back once the wax wears off...

I wonder why it comes back? Are these things anodised to protect against oxidisation? If so then polishing would be removing that anodised layer. Still, the acid will have done that already.

From what I can tell there is a very slight lacquer coating. I managed to nick one of the back wheels on a curb and took the wheel to wonder wheels to have it taken care of. The whole of the outer rim edge where it folds over had to be polished out because of this coating so that the transition from coated to non coated could not be seen (it was very slight). I assume that the lacquer coating is there to protect the wheel from the elements so once it is removed you need to wax them yourself to take over where the lacquer left off.

When i had my polished uk wheels on i would apply brilliant metal polish ewvery other week to restore the shine on the surface. Then i would apply carnuaba wax afterwards this meant when it came time to washing the wheels all that was needed was soap and a sponge as the brake dust couldn't penetrate the wax layer that i put on.

When i had my polished uk wheels on i would apply brilliant metal polish ewvery other week to restore the shine on the surface. Then i would apply carnuaba wax afterwards this meant when it came time to washing the wheels all that was needed was soap and a sponge as the brake dust couldn't penetrate the wax layer that i put on.

What is this 'brilliant' metal polish you guys are talking about? Halfords have it?

You've probably got laquer over the chrome, you cant polish down on the chrome like its raw metal cos it'll rub it off, thats what I did on my fronts when getting the kerb damage out of them... it goes to the aluminum underneath, which can be polished to be nearly as shiney.

The milky is the laquer no doubt, looks very much like what happened on Foodfreaks Veilside wheels.

Compressed milk bottle tops, innit?

Do you still carry that little air compressor with you in the car to blow your tyres up so you can get home? I remember you doing that at Boving(whateveritscalled) Bovington? Bovingthorpe?

I think you said it's a two man job putting three piece split rims back together, unless you want to take all day over it. Is that right?

Bruntingthorpe :) No, I don't carry it anymore because me and my long suffering friend have gotten so good at putting these bastards back together that they don't leak now :)

Two people can pull four wheels apart in two hours if they have done it before. Cleaning them up and putting them back together is what takes the time - I spent from 4pm to 1am cleaning bolts, cleaning surfaces, applying mastic, and bolting up the wheels (at this point with a friend's help again). I hate it, it's one of the dullest and most repeptitive fiddly jobs you get with the car. This time around it's worked fine. There may be a long term leak in there somewhere but I can finally back out the garage and feck orf instead of pumping the tyres up first.

40 bolts per wheel :looney:

Oh, and you need two people to do up the bolts, one holding the bolt face in a ratchet, and the other actually doing up the nut the other side. On your own it's an order of magnitude harder - in fact I don't even contemplate doing it on my own these days.

-Ian

Edit - I've waxed them this time around. A labourious job, sigh. isn't there some spray on stuff I can use...?