The mkiv Supra Owners Club

unexperienced and need advice!!!

fat_controller

Guest Flat4_ire
If you do get it and intend to keep it a while, the first thing to is bin that air filter.

yeah definitely.........or just leave it on!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree Bobbeh but think it depends on future plans if you are buying and staying standard then a uk is the way to go but if you are planning on heavy mods then a J-spec has to be the way to go in the longterm

I'm going on what hes said so far not what he might be planning. But what difference does it make if he gets either model when he decides to mod it!? Its already got BPU modifications and I'm sure Kevin Huntley can bring you up to speed on modding a UK. IMHO its meaningless which model if you get if you're going for big power.

what do you think of auto's

the auto's are nice, but thats not your problem really.

I'll try and be objective and guide you rather than necessarily try and get you to do what i want/think is right!

Uk 'seems' to be your only option, so straight away you are limited on choice, i'd say on average 4-5 UK cars about every week.

There was a completely standard mint looking UK auto (one lady owner and 50K miles FTSH) on ebay a few weeks ago and it went for £9K+, but it was white (i like white but its not generally popular).

IMO as the cars get older and with more miles then 'standard' becomes more important in my mind.

If you say it looks mint then its obviously ok to you asthetically, have you looked just beneath the surface for the condition of the coolers?

Intercooler condition (drivers side front bumper) auto trans cooler (pass side front bumper) diff cooler (drivers side between the rear brake duct and the rear wheel, notorious for being blocked with mud/debris). Any evidence of new parts here would suggest to me a caring and proactive owner, none of these parts renewed doesn't mean neglect but it does mean you may soon be footing the bill yourself.

I agree that the miles are not a major problem but i do also think mileage will affect your resale.

Uk cars will sell in hours/days if they are keenly priced, cars like the one you are viewing are not bargains/steals by any means. I paid less for a uk car back in Oct 2002 but i brought that within hours of the ad being placed, but you are in a position where if you are naturally cautious about buying (not a bad way to be just saying) then you are always going to be paying a premium for a uk car any lower priced cars will be snapped up pronto.

what you really need is to be lucky enough to find someone who's p/x'ing or who's advertised away from the mainstream as this is where you could find a real bargain.

Guest Flat4_ire
I'm going on what hes said so far not what he might be planning. But what difference does it make if he gets either model when he decides to mod it!? Its already got BPU modifications and I'm sure Kevin Huntley can bring you up to speed on modding a UK. IMHO its meaningless which model if you get if you're going for big power.

might have to agree on that one, if ur going single its all the same anyway cos injectors and turbo and all that stuff will be going eitherway...but on the other side, JSPEC RULES!! :D

Guest Flat4_ire
the auto's are nice, but thats not your problem really.

I'll try and be objective and guide you rather than necessarily try and get you to do what i want/think is right!

Uk 'seems' to be your only option, so straight away you are limited on choice, i'd say on average 4-5 UK cars about every week.

There was a completely standard mint looking UK auto (one lady owner and 50K miles FTSH) on ebay a few weeks ago and it went for £9K+, but it was white (i like white but its not generally popular).

IMO as the cars get older and with more miles then 'standard' becomes more important in my mind.

If you say it looks mint then its obviously ok to you asthetically, have you looked just beneath the surface for the condition of the coolers?

Intercooler condition (drivers side front bumper) auto trans cooler (pass side front bumper) diff cooler (drivers side between the rear brake duct and the rear wheel, notorious for being blocked with mud/debris). Any evidence of new parts here would suggest to me a caring and proactive owner, none of these parts renewed doesn't mean neglect but it does mean you may soon be footing the bill yourself.

I agree that the miles are not a major problem but i do also think mileage will affect your resale.

Uk cars will sell in hours/days if they are keenly priced, cars like the one you are viewing are not bargains/steals by any means. I paid less for a uk car back in Oct 2002 but i brought that within hours of the ad being placed, but you are in a position where if you are naturally cautious about buying (not a bad way to be just saying) then you are always going to be paying a premium for a uk car any lower priced cars will be snapped up pronto.

what you really need is to be lucky enough to find someone who's p/x'ing or who's advertised away from the mainstream as this is where you could find a real bargain.

ehh well there you have it, thanks for coming folks, thread closed...

Hi, could you possibly tell me the name of the insurance company you got the quotes from or some names of other good insurers, as I have just bought myself a jap spec TT and I am also 20 years old.

I knew it was going to be a pain in the... to get insurance on one of these, but I said to my parents, if I don't get insured on it I will be happy just to watch it everyday sitting in the driveway :D (Can't help it, just love them and I ain't a Fast and the Furious Freak or a Boy Racer):sly:

Any help would be appreciated and Thanks in advance:Pling:

I'd wait till your 21 and get a j-spec, look at it this way, say you keep the car for a year or 2 it's gonna be pretty hard to sell with even higher mileage even if it is a uk, a few years ago it was a big deal to get a uk for insurance reasons but I can't see why people would pay the same amount with double the mileage, insurance seems to be dropping a bit from when I was looking between uk and jap, I'm much happier I went with the latter, if you see another in essex give me a shout or anyone in the area as we could come a view the car with you. Where abouts is this one anyhow? I'm not too far from southend way.

and what I see a lot of the new breed doing is getting so excited to get behind the wheel of one that they end up not buying the type they originally wanted, for instance some try to find a uk manual for insurance but can't find a decent one then end up going with the auto just to have a supra, wait peeps, you'll only kick your self in the long term!