The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Holy Moly! Fuel filter

Digsy

I jacked the front up. Cracked the line to the filter with a grip wrench then used fuel spanners to undo. Only got a shot glass drain out and i could leave it open. Maybe the cars front isnt high enough so its all draining? And inhad a fairly full tank.

You won't drain the tank unless the fuel pump is running.

You will get quite a bit of fuel come out, as you're emptying the lines, the filter, and the rail.

I just put a plastic bowl under the filter, crack the lines either side, and go indoors for a cuppa for 10 mins.

Thanks guys, that's what I thought having read up about it. I think my second attempt will be with an empty tank and jack the front of the car up. I had it level over a pit which made access really easy but seems to have created a large amount of fuel to drain.

All sorted - just a few notes in case they are of use.

I ran the car until the low fuel level light was on - don't think it makes any difference.

Removed spare wheel and fuel pump cover. Disconnected the fuel supply line and the power connector for the pump. Cranked the engine to depressurise the fuel system.

Back under the car in the pit. The supply side connector was uber-tight but extracted it eventually using only normal open-ended spanners to undo the unions. Fuel loss was probably a third of a cup - max.