The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does removing the rear spoiler make a big difference?

Bill Prawn

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the rear spoiler is what the supra is all about........no.

i agree that red sup does look better but thats because it has massive chrome wheels, a sweet body kit and is nearest the camera.

toyota designed the spoiler like that. for a reason.

ok the shape has been ripped off by other companys and its a great shape without. (jag, aston) (dilib spellin....:sly:) but by removing it your gona fade in to the back ground.....or perhaps not. just my option..:D :D

so my out rageous wing is staying..:tongue:

tt steve

the rear spoiler is what the supra is all about........no.

i agree that red sup does look better but thats because it has massive chrome wheels, a sweet body kit and is nearest the camera.

toyota designed the spoiler like that. for a reason.

ok the shape has been ripped off by other companys and its a great shape without. (jag, aston) (dilib spellin....:sly:) but by removing it your gona fade in to the back ground.....or perhaps not. just my option..:D :D

so my out rageous wing is staying..:tongue:

tt steve

still gonna try mine without it..... :p

Ok then.

I've just conducted an afternoon test without the spoiler.

At normal town speeds no difference.

Foot down straight line acceleration, there is a small improvement, car seems to pick up a bit better but this could be because of the cold air today.

High speeds seems about the same but if it hits a bump or imperfection in the road then the back-end does seem looser.

High speed cornering had no effect.

Twisty country roads had the most effect, back-end seemed to step out a bit more but that also added to the fun.

Rear-view visibility is massively improved (assists with parking no end).

The looks of the car are certainly different, it no longer looks like a Supra but has an idenity sort of on its own but wanting to be something it isn't (Jaguar/Aston).

The time taken to remove and re-install the spoiler is less than 20 minutes so it's well worth trying.

My conclusion.........

The spoiler is staying.

I think;)

I've been going through this dilema myself, and did take it of one weekend to have a look and I still can't decide, I think it looks cleaner without it but could still do with something, that small one shown on that black car looks great.

Each to their own, I had an aftermarket spoiler removed and bought the original but decided to go with none at all. Though 10 % of the time I think of putting it on I must admit. I agree it needs to be complemented with a kit and it is nice to be different

yeah. well, where the bumper used to sit anyway...just so i can see what kinda mess will be left if i remove it and how much i'm looking at to get it smoothed off etc.

Cost around £200 for the smoothing and spray work.

Might have been mine at Box hill

C Wharf1.JPG

100_1650.JPG

That's the one!! I was just up alittle from you guys (on the level so I didn't need a pushto get out LOL). That is a lovely colour - makes the whole car look a load more expensive/classy! I take it it's not an original colour is it??

Yep original colour commonly known as m s b:) Looks nice when clean!!

I remember when I first saw a Supra back in 93, I was a student at Southampton Uni (penny-less of course). When I first saw one.... wow... thats the car for me... big bonnet, big wheels, vents and A MASSIVE REAR SPOILER!!!

Taking it off is losing the identity of the car IMO.

90% of the cars on the road have crappy, worthless spoilers but the Sup is different. Its there to say to other drivers, `beware this car is so fast and in your face it might just take off and fly the rest of the way home` ;0)

I think spoilerless Supras could look awesome! But a stock looking Supra without a bodykit or something looks a bit poor IMO.

Check this one out! Widebody without the rear spoiler.

must admit that works really really well, but as a standard car it would look a bit poo.

Be careful going wingless, some bugger might do this to your car while you're not looking...

:rlol: nice one - like the TuRD

• 1 year later...

Nah, I reckon the after is barracuda style. Before it's a damn SHARK :p

I've got the ridiculous veilside on mine. Hated it at first but it grew on me - especially as I started getting "that black car looks like the batmobile" comments which amused me.

Anyone know how to mod a toyota badge to the same size in bat symbol? :D