The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I don't know where you lot find the Money!

whitesupratt

whatever stage you are at, there will always be more to do, in that sense car modding never ends. If you look at the cars on this forum, they will vary a lot but they are all supras at the end of the day/ So my advice is to be happy with what you have and mod wisely when you can. Sure there are plenty of things I'd like to do to mine, but I'm really really happy with it, extras are icing on the cake IMHO.

Other things to consider.

Get a cheap A to B car for humdrum journies (getting to work etc) which will save you money that you can spend on mods + keep the mileage down too.

Consider your mods wisely, not all are worth the money!

and whatever stage you are at, rest assured your car is better than most on the road, so enjoy it :D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WhitesupraTT (don't know your name, sorry)

I'm in the same boat. I'd love the teeny weeny dent on my bonnet to be fixed but I'd rather have new brakes. I'd love to have the wheels refurbished but the suspension needed sorting. I'd love a noisy exhaust but I need to eat.

I don't earn a lot (a tad under 15k) but, because my partner owns half the car and pays half of all essential work on it, I can get by and not let the Supe slide into decay.

We don't go out much at all. Maybe once a month but we were doing that before the Supra anyway. We live in a nice area and, while that affects us financially, our quality of life has improved immensely. It's swings and roundabouts.

There are times (usually when there is yet another thing to sort on the car that isn't something exciting, just expensive) that I say "Should we just sell her?" but my girlfriend loves being driven around in the Supra. She always convinces me that the Supra stays unless we are facing homelessness.

Ultimately, getting shot of the car would be only a short-term fix. I'm looking (finally) at getting a better paid job or, at least, one nearer home. Work out what you want and then work out how to acheive it or keep it.

Oh and if anyone meets me at an event, don't be concerned about buying me a drink. I accept charity.:D

fuckin hell gaz, wen do u sleep??? or is that your job???? do doctors monitor your dreams for 16hrs a day then you go home...... must be exhausting;)

lol no construction mate,actually live on site come home sat evening go back sunday afternoon, then work sleep work sleep the money is well loads,:) but starting to do me in a bit now, but job im on at mo shoul be finished in 8 weeks so can slow down a bit :blink:

Doesn't BPU save fuel as well? If I understood a thread from a few months back correctly it could pay for itself in a year in terms of saved fuel costs.

I went BPU to save money! Hardly glamorous is it?

is there any truth behind that? I havn't noticed any improvement but then again I guess it depends how you drive, bpu = more power = more fuel, if you use the extra power - surely?

Yep, I can imagine how hard it can be to run once moved out, I'm still living at home and I bet I wouldn't be able to run it and rent/mortgage, it would be pretty tight to say the least! tbh is it really worth putting the car first if it's controlling your life so much? I wouldn't bother with that, I'd rather have a better way of living than having some metal and wheels control it, I mean if you love the car then fine, bet there's many more out there which will give the same enjoyment factor and probably cost a hell of a lot less to run.

is there any truth behind that? I havn't noticed any improvement but then again I guess it depends how you drive, bpu = more power = more fuel, if you use the extra power - surely?

I think it's to do with efficiency. Have a read HERE

I'm almost certainly misuderstanding something but that's my lot in life. :rolleyes:

i work for t.v.r as an enigneer and own my own house too ;) i have a stokered 3.2 hks built supra tt, still is an expensive car to run and maintain and live with but then it's a supercar and it comes to be expected, cars worth every penny :cool:

lol no construction mate,actually live on site come home sat evening go back sunday afternoon, then work sleep work sleep the money is well loads,:) but starting to do me in a bit now, but job im on at mo shoul be finished in 8 weeks so can slow down a bit :blink:

ah yes good old construction, big fans of WTD!!! lol. i moved to building services, bit easier, am only doin 60ish hrs but am overseas at mo so only home 2 weeks every 3 months.

wot job you on?

I am spending more on fuel than before...

I guess is down to driving style as well, now I got the loud padle and each time I hear the roar I know it would cost me 10p or something :D

suppose it's just your priorities really...

I'm fairly well paid as is the missus, so the car isn't too much of a problem, and I would like new wheels etc. but don't really want to compromise my life to the point were it owns me...

I'm in love with the car, don't get me wrong, wouldn't swap it for anything - but I do lack the 'admirable' quality some of the others on this board have were the car is EVERYTHING...

I think first and foremost for me it's a car that 'looks the dogs', very reliable and gets me to work and back... I'll leave this BPU stuff when when I can afford to have it as a weekender...

That said, being on this board (for me, from a technical point of view) is all about learning from some of the other guys that do this, and it's really bloody interesting stuff, and hopefully will stand me in good stead when I come to start 'building that monster'... but I know it won't be with the current N/A - for valuation sake, best to keep that stock (another reason not to spend on it!)..

so to echo the others... small steps mate, I'm sure CJ's (ex-) Orange monster didn't happen over night... :)

Guest Flat4_ire

im 23 now nearly, im an electrician..still at home and to be honest if i moved out the supra would probably put me under serious strain!! plus the fact that im hooked on the net and my credit card is taking some hammering since i got the sup! DAMN THIS FORUM!!!:(

Well, im almost 23, have lived on my own since I was 16 (not always in this flat). I always had cars, and modded them...but the supra is a whole different financial bracket.

I agree BPU is cheap for good gains, but silly things, like, I had the money gathered to go BPU, then I find my tyres are bald, and need a sheered bolt removed. There's the money gone.

have just bought an MOT and taxed L reg Astra 1.4 for £250 to go to Wokr and back, but now I have to find £478 to insure it as a 2nd car!

Its all money! but I suppose my Supra will have just be modded very slowely, if it doesnt keep going wrong that it. I think im just feeling bitter about the recent problems with the supe.

Guest Flat4_ire
Well, im almost 23, have lived on my own since I was 16 (not always in this flat). I always had cars, and modded them...but the supra is a whole different financial bracket.

I agree BPU is cheap for good gains, but silly things, like, I had the money gathered to go BPU, then I find my tyres are bald, and need a sheered bolt removed. There's the money gone.

have just bought an MOT and taxed L reg Astra 1.4 for £250 to go to Wokr and back, but now I have to find £478 to insure it as a 2nd car!

Its all money! but I suppose my Supra will have just be modded very slowely, if it doesnt keep going wrong that it. I think im just feeling bitter about the recent problems with the supe.

yeah probably, when things feck up on the car i start getting thick and think about sellin! lol, ive been lucky tho with my cars, think im the only one who had a modded impreza that didnt blow an engine! :D

but yea its hard as hell to make all those ends meet when ur living on ur own dude