The mkiv Supra Owners Club

silver 98 tt soop on autotrader, what u reckon?

Guest bluefrog

Ok here's my 2p

The guy knows less about supras than us on here, BUT he is very unlikely to say its a twin turbo 6 speed and it be an NA. So i think its more likely the info from the register people is wrong (this is easy to check on the VIN plate).

The mileage of 61K, could be simply that this is km's and therefore the 37/38K mileage is correct as advertised?, and the FSH should help to verify the mileage.

It does point to being a facelift non VVTi car for sure the 98 thing probably a registering error like Si's. I think a sellers lack of knowledge should not be always taken as dishonesty.

Nothing wrong in being cautious, in fact its to be recommended, but arm yourself with knowledge of specs, model types, chassis plate info and go see cars and talk to the owners to satisfy yourself. What we say on here may add to your knowledge etc but can't really ultimately tell you what car to buy or not to buy.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Terry S
ah I assumed wrong then..I thought they were 5 speed...so yeah must be an NA then..makes it even more dodgy...Did they ever make a 5 speed manual for a TT?

Not RHD AFAIK

Agree with Jake, nice car.

Low mileage, manual gearbox,Toad alarm etc.

Nice getting a facelift car which this is, it's got the newer lights which alot of people upgrade to later on.

11K ono, you'll be able to knock him down a little aswell I would think.

It doesn't look modified which is good.

See if he'll send you some pics .

Looking at the pic of the Supra, there seems to be something funny going on at the rear of the car. Possibly just an error, but it looks like its been photoshopped for some reason (possibly to hide damage?)

Or am i imagining things?:help:

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=260171281

Guest RobJames

Hello all.

This is my first first post, and I'm the guy trying to sell the car.

I was horrified to read some of the things said about me. I am an honest guy with children whose legs won't stop growing. As a result I've got to sell and become old at the same time. I thought there was a 4 month waiting list for my new car, but suddenly one is available at the docks, so I've got to sell.

To exercise my right to reply...

According to the Japanese paperwork I have, the car's first registration was Sep 1998. Hence I believed it to be a 1998 car. Jake called me last night and we discovered more - the Feb 1997 manufacture.

I didn't advertise it as a VVTI (although I do admit I thought it was!) so I haven't tried to mislead anyone.

For the record it is not a VVTI.

When the car left Japan in Sep 1999 it came to the Japanese Import Centre near Gatwick. It was serviced with 12k on the clock (I have the records) and was sold on again by the JIC to me in March 2001 with 14,500 on the clock. Ihave had the car almost 5 years, servicing every 4-5000 miles and it has now done the princely sum of 38,600. I can absolutely assure you it has 6 gears and a twin turbo. Quite where the 5 speed 61000 came from I do not know, although my police officer nephew tells me that this happens with imports. Everything on the car is UK-ized (all mph) and I have the SVA cert.

As to the colour, it was sold to me as Quicksilver. I have never needed to check that (why would I?) so passed on the information in good faith. According to the VIN plate the colour code is 6NO. If that isn't Quicksilver then I apologise, but I'm hardly trying to mislead - the picture shows the colour quite clearly doesn't it?

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I was a bit shocked by some of the comments. I wouldn't be selling were it not for the practicality of carrying children around.

Just wanted to clear the air.

Many thanks to Jake for the help last night.

Rob

Fair enough rob.

I believe there would be problems classifying the imports. When I tried to insure my (UK registered obviously) UK spec many insurance companies would ask whether it was a GZ or an SZ...

Essentially: Facelift, TT, manual, low mileage, nice colour, presumably almost FSH.

If I didn't have one already I'd take it for £11k yesterday.

(And you get a set of rear spats thrown in for free:thumbs: )