The mkiv Supra Owners Club

silver 98 tt soop on autotrader, what u reckon?

Guest bluefrog

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an irrelevent bit of trivia for you:

The Yakuza - Japan's equivalent of the mafia, or loose organisation of criminal gangs - derive the name from the numbers 8,9, and 3, which sum to a 'bust' score in the Japanese equivalent of Blackjack. The common association is that low-lifes play such games...

You obviously watched the same tv program I did.

so how did he get a facelift dash?

The facelift cars started in May 96

VVTI in Sept 97

It could be a VVTI but I've never seen a silver one (looks like), only gunmetal/quicksilver VVTI's.

Some cars don't always get registered straight away, it could be pre Sept 97 model registered in 98.

We could all be wrong though.

how do you know the difference between vvti and non apart from yearage
Well, I could instantly tell one from driving it - much nicer to drive. Apart from that the only way is to see under the bonnet. The engines are different in a few ways but the most obvious difference is that the older cars have a murky green plastic cam cover whereas the VVTi engines have a metallic blue one, with 'VVTi' written on it.

just done a reg check on my mobile with www.regcheck.co.uk and they tell me the dates check out but its a 5sp with 61k miles.

thats me put off!!!

If anyone knows of a 6sp tt vvti i'm in the market for one

What else did the reg check say? Can you post the full report on here?

How did you know the reg number? I guess you got it from the owner, right? What did he say about the colour etc?

Guest bluefrog

Wow, I'm amazed by the response from my post! But I guess there would be a lot of interest for a 98 tt 6spd vvti.

Very grateful for all the info, I've learned so much in the last 5 mins bout supras!

He's obviously tryin to make the car look way better than it actually is, loads of discrepancies... I thought it sounded suspect b4 but now I'm convinced.:thumbdown

I will look elsewhere...

spotted this place sellin soops on autotrader also: http://www.vine-place.co.uk/splash.htm they have loads of imported ones, look quite tidy but expensive... usual garage prices I guess. Has anyone had any experience with them?

cheers.

They actually did the facelift model a year before they put the VVTI engine in so infact I think this is possibly a 96/ early 97...that would in some way explain the manual 5 speed box...mine is a 97 registered as a 2000 W reg for instance!

Keep looking..if hes lied about that..what else is he keeping secret...dont trust him!!!!

My 2p

They actually did the facelift model a year before they put the VVTI engine in so infact I think this is possibly a 97...that would in some way explain the manual 5 speed box...
I don't think that's right mate. Pre-VVTi manual Supras were still 6 speeds

alls i can say is that its people like this that spoils this market. Jo Schmuk who is currently saving for a supra may see that 98 VVTis are down to 11k and think thats all they're worth. Not only that, once he looks into it further (wouldnt a HPI check reveal the dodginess?) he'll be put off the import market and realise all his fears...can a person complain to autotrader on this basis?