The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lambda sensor

AJI

Hi guys, wonder if you could help me out with one or two questions?

When removing the rear cat does this also remove the lambda sensor? If it does, will the engine performance suffer?

Is fitting a straight through pipe a D.I.Y. job or a garage job? (I am no machanic, but could handle screwing off one pipe and bolting on another).

Last question, where can I order a rear cat removal pipe from for a UK-spec Twin Turbo?

Thanks for any replies,

AJI

Not sure about the lamba sensor, but mine has been perfect since.

It is usually quite simple unless one of the bolts is corroded and snaps, then it becomes a problem, but this didn't happen on my car, and yours is of a similar age, so dont worry!

All this was done on my car by Leon, and he supplies all the pipes etc himself for about 300ish all in.

When I was getting my car M.O.T.'d one of the guys said that the lambda sensor will cut down the power output from the engine if it detects too higher levels, (higher levels of what I don't know). I just thought by removing it, it might cause one or two engines problems, but if some of you guys have found that there are no problems then thats fine with me.

AJI

Quote: from AJI on 4:38 pm on Jan. 12, 2002[br]Hi guys, wonder if you could help me out with one or two questions?

When removing the rear cat does this also remove the lambda sensor? If it does, will the engine performance suffer?

Is fitting a straight through pipe a D.I.Y. job or a garage job? (I am no machanic, but could handle screwing off one pipe and bolting on another).

Last question, where can I order a rear cat removal pipe from for a UK-spec Twin Turbo?

Thanks for any replies,

AJI

I think it's the front, most restrictive cat, that people remove out of the two. If you are in need of a pipe to replace this one on a TT, I have one you may be interested in.

regards.......

If you are talking about the probe which is about as thick as a pencil and about 2->3" long which sticks into the lower half of the downpipe then this is ONLY a temp sensor and you can just tie it up out of the way or if you have an Apexi or Mongoose system just plug it back into the hole provided by there systems (Not sure about others)

Now if the probe you are talking about is at the top of the downpipe near the exhaust manifold then this IS the O2 sensor and you shouldn't remove that.

Having said all that the UK and US spec cars have a secondary O2 sensor in place of the temp sensor (that the Jap imports have).

>When I was getting my car M.O.T.'d one of the guys said that the >lambda sensor will cut down the power output from the engine if it >detects too higher levels,

Ummm!!!!

The O2 (lambda) sensor is a device whos output is connected to the ECU indicating the amount of oxygen present in the exhaust gas. This is normally a voltage between 0->1V. This allows the ECU to modify the air/fuel ratio to achieve the desired goal (normally stochiometric of 14.7:1 for cruising and MOT etc or for WOT you'd need about 12:1)

It doesn't cut down power in any way direct or indirect as far as I can tell. I'm not sure what they are saying there.

Anyway. If you got an exhaust system that has a hole for this probe then you've no need to worry about it. Certainly my mongoose system does and the Apexi downpipe I had previously.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for your reply Pete.

GavinL , thanks for the offer on the pipe, I will let you know if I'm interested in the near future.

I assume the Supra still just passes the emissions test with only the rear cat left in place?

And if I was to only remove the rear cat this wouldn't realy de-restrict the system that much, it would have to be the front cat to realy make a difference?

AJI

Quote: from AJI on 7:01 pm on Jan. 15, 2002[br]

I assume the Supra still just passes the emissions test with only the rear cat left in place?

And if I was to only remove the rear cat this wouldn't realy de-restrict the system that much, it would have to be the front cat to realy make a difference?

I've still got the front cat, a bigish pipe and Blitz back box.  With that I run 14lbs boost normally at WOT with the 2nd turbo kicked in.  On cold days or sometimes during a long WOT run I've hit fuel cut, just under 15lbs.  I think stock in 11lbs, and I can pass an MOT.

Quote: from AJI on 1:02 pm on Jan. 15, 2002[br]When I was getting my car M.O.T.'d one of the guys said that the lambda sensor will cut down the power output from the engine if it detects too higher levels, (higher levels of what I don't know). I just thought by removing it, it might cause one or two engines problems, but if some of you guys have found that there are no problems then thats fine with me.

AJI

My UK cat replacement pipe has the mounting built in for the second O2 sensor (the first one is in the turbo elbow as is not disturbed by replacement of one or both cats). The Jap spec cars have a temp sensor in the cat pipe, this is no longer needed if the cats are removed and should be left connected to the wiring but tied up out of harms way. I have stock of UK second cat replacement pipes in mandrel bent stainless with the second O2 flange built in. Pipes are 150 individually, 290 the pair. Theyy are sized to keep boost within sensible limits. E-mail me at [email protected]

if you want one or both.

Quote: from Chris Wilson on 12:41 am on Jan. 17, 2002[br

My UK cat replacement pipe has the mounting built in for the second O2 sensor (the first one is in the turbo elbow as is not disturbed by replacement of one or both cats). The Jap spec cars have a temp sensor in the cat pipe, this is no longer needed if the cats are removed and should be left connected to the wiring but tied up out of harms way. I have stock of UK second cat replacement pipes in mandrel bent stainless with the second O2 flange built in. Pipes are 150 individually, 290 the pair. Theyy are sized to keep boost within sensible limits. E-mail me at [email protected]

if you want one or both.

You say 'should be tied up out the way', is that only if the downpipe doesnt have the required hole or should it be tied up out the way in all cases?

JB

>You say 'should be tied up out the way', is that only if the downpipe >doesnt have the required hole or should it be tied up out the way in >all cases?

The former John.

Only if the pipe doesn't have a hole to stick it into.

Basically it doesn't matter what you do with it so long as it's plugged in to the loom connector. Swing it round your head if you like :-)))

Regards

Pete