The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Awesome Chrome Rims, with Tyres

Dash Rendar

Due to some unplanned turbo work on my Supra, I find myself needing to restore cash flow. As a result, I'm selling my pride and joy... My summer wheels. :cry:

Ask anyone who's seen these wheels: they're awesome. Photos just don't do them justice. The first thing anyone says when they see my car is, "Nice wheels."

http://www.just2good.co.uk/supra/chromes/chromeRims1med.jpg

So, I have for sale a set of 18" TrafficStar DTS (3 part, split-rim) chrome wheels, including tyres. These were nearly £3500 when new and are extremely rare in this country. In fact, aside from the set Richard Hammond (Top Gear) had imported from Japan for his Dodge, I believe this is the only other set in the UK.

Okay, here's the vitals...

Front: 18 x 8.5 (offset +36), with 245/40 ZR18

Rear: 18 x 10.5 (offset +41), with 275/35 ZR18

5 stud pattern, PCD 114.3.

The tyres are all Dunlop SP Sport 9000. Two of the tyres are like new with nearly full tread. (See attached pictures). One of the tyres is part warn (even) but still plenty of tread. The fourth tyre is well-warn and will probably need replacing soon.

All the rims have suffered some curbing (by the previous owner), but since the circumferance is polished steel, the curbing can easily be polished out / repaired.

One of the rims has suffered some nasty chrome tarnishing around the hub. I've included a close-up picture so you can see the extent of the tarnishing. (It's not bad - you have to be close up to see it.) This was caused by the previous owner attempting to clean the wheels with "Wonder Wheels", an acidic product that is renowned for damaging chrome rims. (Muppet.)

The wheels include chrome valves and locking nuts.

As already mentioned, these are 18-inch wheels. IMHO, this is the perfect balance between handling and style on the Supra. However, the deep dishes on these chromes give the impression that they are larger. Onlookers are usually of the opinion that these are 19 or 20-inch wheels.

Was originally asking for £1000 ONO. Price now reduced to £800. Come on guys, these wheels were three and a half grand new!!

Awsome wheels mate, same you've got to sell but it sounds as though you need turbo work urgently !

James - just to let you know James that iv'e got my Sup booked in with Mark in Newhaven to do the bodywork for me early next week, sounds like a top bloke. Cheers for the contact info.

Mark

Yeah, lucky I've got the other set, but not so lucky that they only stayed pristine for a week before they got motorbiked. Grr.

As for the turbo work... They've been p1ssing oil out the BOV since I bought the car over a year ago. Opinions seem to vary on how much of a problem this is. However, when Paul showed me the oil welling up in various engine pipes, I was encouraged to replace the turbos at the earliest opportunity! (And I wanted an excuse to go hybrid.)

P.S. I liked your old avatar more, James.

how much would it cost to have the wheels repaired ? i have never been one to go for chrome but these look nice. also how much was the car lowered by on the 13th post? it looks like the front wheel has a bit of a gap there

( i have looked at this picture a few times now it might be my eyes ((i think i am tired)).)

I believe that removing the edge defects and repolishing comes to something like £50 per wheel. Given that any purchaser will most likely want to do this, I'll reduce the asking price to £900.

The car hasn't been lowered at all. I'm not sure what you were saying about the gap??

Guest lloydmcc

i might be intrested in the wheels as mine are a bit shabby and could do with a new set, been working all over crimbo so should get my self a nice present,

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.