The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Undertaking - a bad habit?

hogmaw

Guest chiefvinso

I was just poointing out what the higway code states (I think), I agree that I mostly take option b but the muppets need to know and this is where the cops should get off their arses and do some good for society.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So is it illegal to undertake cars when the outside lanes are full at 40 mph and the inside clear - not from what the highway code used to be. I dont undertake cars much in fact I go with option b most times but some days i am so pissed off that the middle laner has nowt in front that I just have to let them know, either by going up their insde or tailgating. Wrong I know, but it gets those muppets to realise - I hope.

I think ClassOne said it wasn't illegal in situations like that. I have the same dilemma every night. Slow lane moves steadily while the middle and fast lane keep slowing to a halt.

It the slow lane had to stop there would be gridlock.

I think that as long as you don't keep switching to whatever lane is moving fastest then you can 'undertake' if that is how the traffic is flowing.

I do this all the time. The M3 is really bad for it especially the two lane sections (ok they are sitting in the outside). You can see them for miles off sitting there head up arse. I really cannot be bothered to go around them. Complete knobs and no need for it. I've seen people come up behind them flashing like bilio sitting an inch off their bumpers after I have gone past them on the inside and will they budge??? Will they f*ck as like. And in my view its more dangerous to sit an inch away from the back of a car flashing at it than just sliding past it inside or no. Don't beast it past at 50 mph more then they are doing and keep an eye on them as you go past. I do 50k miles a year mostly on the motorway and have never had any of the laners try and pull into me. I've had a few scowls and dissaproving looks but I have a middle finger for that occasion.

I was just poointing out what the higway code states (I think), I agree that I mostly take option b but the muppets need to know and this is where the cops should get off their arses and do some good for society.

yeah., have to agree with what you said. cops seem more interested in catching people speeding even a few mph over. but dont seem to take into account that speed doesnt kill, people choose to accelerate. you could easily drive fast on a motorway and not have a problem.

people being jackasses and driving dangerous should be concentrated more. then again we should have something over here like vehicular homicide, if you kill someone. set an example :D

Guest chiefvinso
I do this all the time. The M3 is really bad for it especially the two lane sections (ok they are sitting in the outside). You can see them for miles off sitting there head up arse. I really cannot be bothered to go around them. Complete knobs and no need for it. I've seen people come up behind them flashing like bilio sitting an inch off their bumpers after I have gone past them on the inside and will they budge??? Will they f*ck as like. And in my view its more dangerous to sit an inch away from the back of a car flashing at it than just sliding past it inside or no. Don't beast it past at 50 mph more then they are doing and keep an eye on them as you go past. I do 50k miles a year mostly on the motorway and have never had any of the laners try and pull into me. I've had a few scowls and dissaproving looks but I have a middle finger for that occasion.

Agreed, if I go for the undertake I make sure it is safe. People will have different views on this due to their actual involvement in these incidents - those who see it alot will get cheesed off and those who rarely see it wont think too much towards it. IF you are doing 50k a year I'm sure you have had your fair share of twossers :respekt:

Guest chiefvinso
yeah., have to agree with what you said. cops seem more interested in catching people speeding even a few mph over. but dont seem to take into account that speed doesnt kill, people choose to accelerate. you could easily drive fast on a motorway and not have a problem.

people being jackasses and driving dangerous should be concentrated more. then again we should have something over here like vehicular homicide, if you kill someone. set an example :D

LOL :clap: Think this country has gone too soft though but they are quick enuff to do me for speeding on an empty motorway on a bright summers day - ok it was 80mph, maybe I should go to jail for that. :complain: Rant over

Guest chiefvinso
I like to use the inside lane because it's usually deserted, and also because it's actually IMO safer than joining in the 'accelerate-emergency stop-accelerate' waves going on in the outside lanes.

Top signature m8, do you mind if I quote that in mine??? :blush:

LOL :clap: Think this country has gone too soft though but they are quick enuff to do me for speeding on an empty motorway on a bright summers day - ok it was 80mph, maybe I should go to jail for that. :complain: Rant over

exactly, there is no real common sense in how they act. i don't see what you did wrong, probably they are having to make their quota up for the day >_

maybe we should have a defence fund set up for anyone wrongly done :D

We should have the US system of driving, where undertaking is legal and perfectly normal. Middle lane is 'travel' lane, inside lane is 'slow' (or undertaking) lane and outside lane is fast lane (if you call 55mph fast). All the plebs sit in the middle lane, trucks on the inside and the likes of you and me can go where the hell we want

Guest chiefvinso
We should have the US system of driving, where undertaking is legal and perfectly normal. Middle lane is 'travel' lane, inside lane is 'slow' (or undertaking) lane and outside lane is fast lane (if you call 55mph fast). All the plebs sit in the middle lane, trucks on the inside and the likes of you and me can go where the hell we want

Yeah, that was a reall eye opener for me - I got used to it tho and just drove like the rest of them, very suprised about how little accidents I saw and to me the lane chopping and missing by a hair seemed dangerous.

I like to use the inside lane because it's usually deserted, and also because it's actually IMO safer than joining in the 'accelerate-emergency stop-accelerate' waves going on in the outside lanes.

Yup I so agree. Just look at the amount of skid marks in the outside and middle lanes for proof. Only time I will exit the inside lane is certain sections of the M3 that really badly rutted. In the rain water gathers in there and I don't like driving down two parrallel canals :)

its a shame we cant have motorways like in the US, they are so much more fun to drive, from when i have visited.

if only we had more space to divide both sets of carriageways to give more space in the middle reservation. even then have two sets of better designed crash barriers. way too many accidents caused by vehicles leaving one direction and ending up on the other carriageway.

better still actually repair roads sensibly and across the whole lane, not just the hole itself. many times you see the repaired hole like nothing was ever done to it as the repair is no longer there.

Option b, but scowls and sometimes rear fogs come in for extreme offenders ;) The traffic police have been known to pull people over for abusing the overtaking lanes... when there is nothing to overtake!

I have a middle finger for that occasion.

Apparently, if a traffic cop catches you in the act of doing that - it can be a severe wrap on the wrist (something about common assault :blink: )

Guest chiefvinso

I used the finger gesture in chicago - it was an unmarked cop (a detective as he kept telling me waving his gun and badge in my face!) Just roughed me up a bit made the misses really upset, I'd probably be in jail if she wasnt there cos he was a right twosser!