The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra wanted! could do with some tips.

hondaboy

Don't forget that with an auto you can whack it into manual mode and hold the gear so that it doesn't change down '2 or 3 gears' in a corner.

Should put that bit of info in the club welcome pack, to date still the best advice I've had on driving the Supra :thumbs:

very helpful Rob, thankyou.

no probs mate!

in reality you should search for this, which was why imi didnt help you, but im feeling tolerant and helpful tonight!

personally i feel that anyone who only feels like saying search (although its something we all get fed up with) should just ignore the post!

i remember being a noob, and not knowing WHAT to search for in the first place

lets try to keep it a friendly atmosphere eh?!

oh, and we wont go into import versus UK, ever heard the phrase can of worms?!

Most of the time when people are making, what at first appear, "nasty remarks", are quite often jovial quips. I find that people are very rearly trying to be nasty, especially in a nice friendly club environment like this one.

Adam.

Damn, I needed that 2p

Most of the time when people are making, what at first appear, "nasty remarks", are quite often jovial quips. I find that people are very rearly trying to be nasty, especially in a nice friendly club environment like this one.

Adam.

Damn, I needed that 2p

oh hell yeah man, definately agree...

i dont know imi at all, but im sure he was just having a laugh....it wasnt aimed at imi in particular, sorry imi if you thought it was...its just something we are seeing a lot on here....

yeah, the only thing you lot haven't mentioned is import Vs uk cars, I know the two are built to different specs but i'm unsure which is more prefered(if any) or are the differances in small cosmetic things like, fog light and such?

It's all in the FAQ/Search button, but I'll outline some essential differences.

UK's have bigger brakes/turbos/injectors.

Although I do beleive that some J-Spec's had the bigger brakes as a factory option, and of course there are lots about now that have upgraded. (Like myself :))

The UK has a bonnet scoop, and headlight washers along with glass headlights.

Again these things can be added. Although I doubt anyone in their right mind would add the headlight washers!

The UK also has a different rear light cluster arrangement. left to right: orange, red, white, red, gap, red, white, red, orange.

Whereas the Jspec is Orange, red, red, white, gap, white, red, red, orange.

As always, these can be interchanged.

It's late and I'm off to watch my sky+'d Nip/Tuck, and that's all I can think of for now. Hope I've helped...

BYE

Thanks for all your help ppl, will be in back when i buy my supra(as if i'd be sitting behind this screen if i had a supra in my drive!).

Last Question to anyone who can be bothered, how does the supra compare to other similar sized/powered cars you've driven? such as the Skyline R33 gts which i will admit is still in the running as my next car(even if it is a distant second)

My mates R33 GTR was a demon of a car for speed, but I didnt like the looks of them and thats why I went for a soop in the end. Also, in the end, they are nissan, and while the engine is fantasticly robust ( when cared for ) all the ancillary bits rot. If you like a clean engine bay, then you will want to take everything apart and get all the brackets and bits 'n bobs acid dipped and re-powdercoated. Otherwise if you lift the bonnet, it will look just like any 10+year old nissan. Tired and rusty.

Stick with the soop is my opinion, but I am biased anyway.

If you asked these questions on a liner forum, you would get them saying how the engine can be "taken further" than the soop engine, but who really wants to spend 10-20 grand doing it. If you want 500hp then it would cost the same roughly for either car. If you want 800, then the same applies, if you want 1000+, then go for a skyline and expect a huge bill which of course you will never get back when you do come to sell the car.

Sorry for the long post, got day off (ill) and nothing better to do but rant.

yeah cheers, i agree with that, i'm only going to use the car for gettig around and probably the odd track day in the summer.

Not to say that i don't want to look after my car but i think that you have to decide how far you are going to take things, if the "soop" is easy to maintain compared to the "liner" then that sways it for me.

Can't see it being as reliable as my "teg" but if that has to be sacraficed then so be it!

Its difficult to gauge the tone of comments posted up in print, but we are all up for new Supra owners on this site...sarcy comments are rife and they will get worse but they are usually in good fun....the clue is in the smilies...a big green grin is just that, a big grin....

As to deciding on a Supra (any spec) vs Skyline or whatever, theres no better way than to drive each of them. Some people like four wheel drive, some rear wheel, some like maximum techno driving aids, some like more seat of the pants stuff...Ive always preferred the design of Supras to any other Jap performance car (RX7 a close second), and I love rear wheel drive, without a computer helping me out.

If you decide to go Supra (obviously:innocent: ) try to test as many as possible, or at least the major specs (manual / auto / n/a and TT), AFTER absorbing as much info off this and other Supra sites as you have time for...

Oh, and please, make sure you have decent tyres on the back, or for the first week or so take a spark plug out:D (er, that was a jolly jest there)