The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacement airbag steering wheels

Ceptik

More information. This shop is very famous in USA (MVP)

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateH.asp?SubFolderID=1646&SearchYN=N

"As with many items for your Supra, this wheel is for off road / show car use only. However, since it has an airbag (and dynamite) MVP feels that we need to protect our interests. So, any person buying a TRD wheel from us must first download & sign this document and fax it back to us at 940-683-3211. If you are younger than 18 then you can not sign this document. Your parent or legal guardian will have to sign it and it will have to be paid for with his/her credit card or check. Please fax us this signed document immediately before or after you place the order."

and more

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/merchant/trd_doc.htm

still advertised as a part for a 1993-1998 supra

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest KARacing

Why dont you ask Nic to back up his word? or you are on his side also ( i am sure). Anyways, I have post everything to back up my word. and I will ignore all dude's message who are on his side. Dont want to waste my time on you dude anymore

OK I've translated the bit at the top:-

スポーティ fusing functional beauty and safety.

The genuine steering wheel, to all the car air bags while being converted, スポーティドライビング and, with high safety as pulling out you cannot talk. Although TRD to correspond to the request of these times promptly, being the air bag attachment, developing the advanced steering wheel which does not impair former sport characteristic. With high safety, stylish lux and nimble operativity were actualized.

* The electric type air bag of the system which ignites due to the electric information from the air bag sensor.

*The collision mock exam by the actual car is begun, repeatedly it executes numerous reliability assessment test,proving high safety.

* Genuine center air bag sensor ASSY (the computer) you use that way,the steering wheel just it is round every exchange type.

* Main leather volumesteering wheel of comfortablegrip impression.

* Fast steering wheel operation was made possible, with small diameter the forum of stylish 3 these spokes.

I've highlighted some bits in italic. It does seem to say that the airbag will work. Is there something in the translation I've missed Ken. My Japanese, although improving, is not as good as it could be!

Guest KARacing
Errr you're going to have to help us out here mate, where's the bit that says the airbag won't go off? Then I should be able to translate it, but doing the whole page would be a real pain.

Could it be that it's only available for what I imagine will be the "facelift" model as the issue with fitting around the cruise control stalk? If it is then it should be possible to get around it by also fitting the facelift cruise stalk.

If your car is JDM spec from 96.5~97.9 and 97.9~02.8 model and live in Japan, then I am 100% sure that you will not have any problem with the airbag, but if you live outside of Japan and your car is not JDM spec, then play with your own risk since TRD Japan DO NOT export this steering wheel

Guest KARacing

I also did a search and found out that Fensport is TRD UK http://www.fensport.co.uk. Here is their information. Maybe you guys can ask them directly.

FENSPORT

8 Dock Road, Chatteris

Cambs, PE16 6RE

U.K.

Tel: (+44) 01 354 696968

Fax: (+44) 01 354 696973

Contact person: Mr. Adrian Smith, Mr. Tony Charles

E-mail: [email protected]

Home page : http://www.fensport.co.uk

BTW, I found this shop from offcial TRD Japan website. Here is the link

http://www.trdparts.jp/english/distributor.html

If your car is JDM spec from 96.5~97.9 and 97.9~02.8 model and live in Japan, then I am 100% sure that you will not have any problem with the airbag, but if you live outside of Japan and your car is not JDM spec, then play with your own risk since TRD Japan DO NOT export this steering wheel

I think a reason for that may be that the wheel does have some small explosive inside (afterall that's what fires the airbag!!) so, and I am guessing, it may mean they can only sell in country of origin? Does that sound feasible? Perhaps it would be a good one to get some clarity from TRD either way?

I'm sure someone could look at the part numbers of the sensors/plugs etc. and see if they're different on those specific cars to the other variants.

I want to know for sure one way or the other as I was going to get one.

But that's not what you stated is it? You said that TRD had told you the airbag would not work and that you had taken your TRD wheel off as a result. You have a facelift Supra which from what you are now saying the wheel would be fine on, so why did you take it off? And why change your story now and say it will only work on facelift cars?

And if TRD did not export the wheels, then how come you yourself have posted info from a US site selling it? Not to mention all the other traders throughout the world that sell it?

I think it's pretty clear you're attempting to use it as an excuse to further your own agenda. I have no interest in your dispute with Nic, and no bias one way or the other, but I have been a member of this BBS for a long time and I can tell you I'm getting pretty fed up of all the innuendo. If you have evidence then post it. For example the email you have from TRD highlighting the problem. If you have a specific complaint then post it, but don't keep posting the same vague crap because nobody is interested and its getting very irritating.

Guest KARacing

I'm sure someone could look at the part numbers of the sensors/plugs etc. and see if they're different on those specific cars to the other variants.

I want to know for sure one way or the other as I was going to get one.

I would like to know that too but we dont have US spec or UK spec Supra in here. Anyhow, I am pretty sure that these airbag might not be working properly on 93 to 96 J spec Supra. If not, why TRD dont mention these years since they have 1993.5 to 2002.8 Supra in Japan.

I would like to know that too but we dont have US spec or UK spec Supra in here. Anyhow, I am pretty sure that these airbag might not be working properly on 93 to 96 J spec Supra. If not, why TRD dont mention these years since they have 1993.5 to 2002.8 Supra in Japan.

Well hey, I can answer that one at least. The cruise control stalk is different on the earlier cars. Since the main market in Japan would be the later cars I expect they didn't want to go to the trouble of producing a special version with a different cowling to fit the old style. So it's easier to say it's only for later cars. You could say the same about quite a few bodykits too, they are advertised as fitting facelift cars only because they have holes for the newer indicators. That doesn't mean they won't fit the earlier ones, just that some modification is required and you can't advertise something as fitting a car unless it does so out of the box.

Guest KARacing
But that's not what you stated is it? You said that TRD had told you the airbag would not work and that you had taken your TRD wheel off as a result. You have a facelift Supra which from what you are now saying the wheel would be fine on, so why did you take it off? And why change your story now and say it will only work on facelift cars?

another dude from that dude's side. anyways, I will answer your question nicely. Yes i have a 2000 Supra with my JDM OEM REAL Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel with airbag and I also have a 1993 (do I have to post all cars I have?) I also have a benz, bmw, mini van, jeep and a bike

And if TRD did not export the wheels, then how come you yourself have posted info from a US site selling it? Not to mention all the other traders throughout the world that sell it?

They are not getting from TRD Japan directly (100% SURE), I have posted your TRD UK information. Why dont you ask them directly?

I have answered all your question and I will ignore you from now on because you are on that guy's side

There are 2 reasons why the TRD Steering Wheel is not compatible with *some* early Supra models.

One is, as stated by Simon because of the cruise stalk issue, the TRD Steering Wheel does not include a hole in the side for the cruise stalk to go through and even if it did the cruise stalk does not fit. A number of members have got around this problem by fitting a different later model cruise stalk, which will fit if a hole is made in the side of the steering wheel body. Peter Sharp has done this on his Supra and posted details [thread=20533]HERE[/thread].

The second reason is because *some* (not all) of the pre-facelift Supra model used an 'electro-mechanical' sensor to trigger the airbag (basically the airbag is triggered when the sensor is crushed, thus forming a circuit). This was later changed to an electronic sensor (accelerometer, that senses the sudden decelaration of the car) on all later models. The steering wheel is not compatible with the Supras fitted with the electro-mechanical sensor, but is compatible with all the Supras fitted with the electronic sensor. Compatibility can be established by checking the VIN on the Toyota EPC.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest commumies
There are 2 reasons why the TRD Steering Wheel is not compatible with *some* early Supra models.

One is, as stated by Simon because of the cruise stalk issue, the TRD Steering Wheel does not include a hole in the side for the cruise stalk to go through and even if it did the cruise stalk does not fit. A number of members have got around this problem by fitting a different later model cruise stalk, which will fit if a hole is made in the side of the steering wheel body. Peter Sharp has done this on his Supra and posted details [thread=20533]HERE[/thread].

The second reason is because *some* (not all) of the pre-facelift Supra model used an 'electro-mechanical' sensor to trigger the airbag (basically the airbag is triggered when the sensor is crushed, thus forming a circuit). This was later changed to an electronic sensor (accelerometer, that senses the sudden decelaration of the car) on all later models. The steering wheel is not compatible with the Supras fitted with the electro-mechanical sensor, but is compatible with all the Supras fitted with the electronic sensor. Compatibility can be established by checking the VIN on the Toyota EPC.

Hi Nic

How can I check the sensors compatibility via the Toyota EPC?