The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air / Fuel ratio gauge

Pig

I'd want one that:

1: Could interface to an aftermarket engine management system (data out)

2: Had a reasonable sensor life when used with regular fuel

3: Used fairly standard, common sensors that are readily available and can be purchased separately without mortgaging the house

and maybe had a programmable alarm to warn when it's dangerous, guess an emu can be programmed to do this if the two are connected?

as long as the refresh wasn't ridiculously slow I wouldn't care so much about this.

afr of 11:1, thats very rich isn't it, is it useful to have one that can go below this?

do most of the brand names mention cover these features?

AEM 2300 series module + gauge. More expensive than the gauge only variant but gives a fantastic range - 8.0:1 to 19.5:1, with 4v of the 5v range dedicated to the 8:1 to 14.7:1 range. That means lots of resolution in the important areas. 1v output for narrowband use, 5v output for ECU plumbing.

You can't really have an alarm though, as you'll hit lean figures every time you lift off the throttle, thus alarming all the time. The ECU might be able to alarm based on AFR *and* boost pressure and maybe even RPMs as well, but that's something I haven't heard of yet.

Oh, and an AFR of 11:1 is safe rich for high boost big turbo applications. You really need resolution below that for mapping purposes, so you can see how much fuel you need to pull out to get the AFR you want. If the gauge reads "11:1 or less" it's not much use as you don't know if it's 10.9:1 or 8:1!

-Ian

Excellent, cheers Ian that is really very useful information :) I wonder if santa can bring me one for Christmas...

So just to clarify, all aftermarket ECU's use an analog 5v input from the wideband? Or do you just calibrate the ECU with the expected voltage range?

Does the AEM unit use fairly regular O2 sensors, I guess not since they have such a wide range...

EDIT: http://www.whifbitz.co.uk/gauges.html

Guest Terry S

So just to clarify, all aftermarket ECU's use an analog 5v input from the wideband? Or do you just calibrate the ECU with the expected voltage range?

Does the AEM unit use fairly regular O2 sensors, I guess not since they have such a wide range...

Yeah you enter a cal file. The figures should be given to you in the AFR gauge info, i.e voltage Vs AFR

Not sure the 2300 is off the shelf, had to get it specially for Ian before.

Actually you got me the standalone gauge :) The 2300 module and sensor I got second hand off Adam Wootten years ago. To be honest I haven't seen it anywhere else since but it's very good :)

The actual sensor is the same, the Bosch 5.1, but the electronics that interpret it's signal are what you pay for. The Bosch 5.1 isn't overly expensive to replace.

-Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Did you have to modify the actual dash much to do that?

Had to remove the section of clear plastic that covers the boost gauge, and I had to enlarge the hole slightly in the cover, other than that, nothing. It helps that the gauge is less than 1" thick. And yes the original boost gauge is still fitted behind the wideband gauge.

Ben, In your piccies, how come at idle your gauge is reading 11.2, thought it should be around 14.7 at idle?

As for it reading 11.2, yes it was cold as I had just started it to show the display.

• 2 months later...
I prefered the idea of the innovate, as I've heard that the AEM's scale is a little too narrow, whereas the Innovate is programmable. Also as the Innovate gauge is sooooo thin, it is much easier to install, I got mine fitted into the position of the crappy facelift boost gauge. Plus it's pretty cheap if you get it from Dusty and MVP.

Not only that but you can daisy chain the XD-1 gauges together and have them read whatever input you connected to the LM-1 for logging! so you can program them to read boost, temp whatever!

"Plus it's pretty cheap if you get it from Dusty and MVP"??

• 4 weeks later...
I went for the Innovate Motorsport LC-1/XD-1 standalone kit. It's a real easy fit in place of the old clock :D

Here are some pic's for reference.

(Just need to fit the probe now)

Snap! mounted my XD-1 exactly the same (great bit of kit!)