The mkiv Supra Owners Club

When was the last time you used your car properly?

michael

Well I have had my Supra two years, when I got it was totally stock. I then went through all the stages , New Exhaust, Ist Cat out, 2nd Cat out and then BPU. Earlier this year I went single, I have been happy with the power and all stages I have thougt hell this is fast at whatever stage.

The problem is that surprisingly you get use to the power very quickly, do I need more power, no, but hell I want it. Just planning my next mods, cams and gearbox next and then I think I will invest in the handling abit.

I feel I am addicted and not sure where I will stop. The sad thing is I hardly drive the car and very rarely drive it a full throttle. I find myself taking the car out just for drives so I can justify keeping it and spending money.

I think the answer for me is Trackdays etc but this will only make my addiction worse which will only result in more money wasted. WHAT TO DO, HELL I DONT KNOW, I suppose just enjoy your car at whatever stage it is at -they are quick at whatever level of tune

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm scared to go out in a single (even though I really want to) because I don't really wanna get hooked (addicted as you put it) just yet. However I'm sure I will get out in one at some stage and I'm gonna love it but it's always important to be happy with what you have at the time - there will _always_ be something faster out there lol.

I'd take a guess that a standard supe is faster than say 95% or all other cars you see on the road (maybe more?) and thats pretty good to start with!

A well set up BPU one, that must be faster than 99%.

A single, probably faster than almost anything you see on the road.

I agree, whatever power you have, you get used to it after a while. I think thats why I like to drive mine every few days when I fancy it and drive a normal car otherwise, then you really do appreciate what you have :D

I think a well performing BPU car goes quick enough for almost all occasions lol, if it doesn't I'd start to question the drivers ability lol

It really does transform the car, you won't be dissapointed :woot:

hmmm I guess this is what single owners say over twins though lol

I always cruise around in mine nice and slow....there is no need to prove anything to anyone that baits you either.....anyone with a ounce of sense knows its a fast car, so I like to keep em guessing by just cruising and laughing at all challengers and letting em go like maniacs.....not to mention the dangers of street racing....(remember the 200sx thread knocking about on here..a scary reminder to all!!)

For me, looks are much more important that speed.....its fast enough in stock trim for my needs + nowadays when can you actually use the speed....there are gatsos, speed traps, unmark cars etc so its not worth risking in case you get caught ( thats not to say I dont have a blast every now and again ;))

Also more speed = danger, I drive with the Fiance a lot and I was thinking only the other day.....just suppose I did really rag it one day, lose control (which can easily happen) and heaven forbid something happen to her and not me.....I could'nt live with that for the rest of my life, so I just dont do it

Sorry for the depressing post, just though I would share my veiws :violin:

So for me it

Styling 1 Speed 0 :nyah:

I live in the area where alot of my friends are owning reasonably quick cars icluding 32GTR's,Rex's,Scoobies,Evos and the likes where aqll of my friends are constantly throwing money at thier cars making them ever increasingly faster,the point that I want to make is that the supra is the best car out there rgardless of your 4 wheel what-dya-call its and what ever else,I dont want to inch my way past them,I want to fly past them with all guns blazing!

There is only 2 times when I want more power:

When doing top speed runs etc.

When racing other cars in straight lines.

If it was not for those two things, I would be ever content with the power. The second one especially, with normal cars getting faster and faster, 400HP is not enough!

I went for a bit of a 'spirited' drive tonight. Roads were nice and quite, dry and straight enough to see the needle pointing south.

Then on to some small strips of dual-carriage way blasting in every gear.

Do I want more power... possibly ;)

Is a big single fun.... ohh hell yes!

I'd be happy with the standard power but with instant throttle response. Had one of those moments yesterday when your foot goes to the floor and nothing happens for a about half a second. Then it's like the Milennium Falcon going into hyperdrive.

If it could just do it right there and then, I'd be happy.

I'd be happy with the standard power but with instant throttle response. Had one of those moments yesterday when your foot goes to the floor and nothing happens for a about half a second. Then it's like the Milennium Falcon going into hyperdrive.

If it could just do it right there and then, I'd be happy.

I used to have a MKII Golf with a 2.9 VR6 lump droped in it. NOthing like the top end performance of the soop, but it would produce full power in a fraction of a second. It was sooo much quicker for over taking cause the power was so instant.

I do miss driving it :(

I know what you mean. A colleague of mine has an almost totally stripped out Corsa with a big ol engine in it. I had a little bit of fun with him the other night. Top speed was me all the way but by fuckery that thing could nip around traffic and corner like a rollercoaster. It weighs about the same as an empty coke can!

I basically had to pre-empt his every move in order to be applying full power before he did. Still did leave him way behind at one point. Made up for him scooting onto a roundabout with me knowing that I wouldn't be able to beat the oncoming traffic.

If I leave the city lights behind me I'll probably use full boot :) Coming off roundabouts or slip roads on the dual carriageways around Norwich :thumbs: So yes, even with the monster single turbo setup I cheerfully use full blast. Sometimes I use it around the city, but that's just to scare people and usually only in 2nd gear :D

But I know what you mean, because I only run it at 1.2bar. I've mapped it to 1.4bar on Optimax, so it'll run that all day, 580rwhp. But since dyno'ing it I've used 1.4bar *once* just to show someone :confused:

So here is the rub - daily drive at 1.2bar, no idea what power it's at but I swear that's fast enough for road use, even on decent dual carriageways! 1.4 is there if I need it but why stress the engine even more when I'm perfectly happy at the lower setting?

And yet I sometimes feel the urge to see what she'll do on pump fuel :D 1.6bar? :devil: What's that all about then? Like I'll ever use it on the road?! I also want to raise the rev limit to 7200rpm because it's only just at power peak on it's limiter - and yet I short shift at about 6200rpm anyway. Wierd.

-Ian

I seem to drive slower the faster the car gets!!

Driving the daily shitter makes you realise how much safer it is to have the power there though!! Trying to pull out of a lane on the motorway is bloody dangerous in the Renault. You really have to be careful and pay full attention to what you're doing.

I blatted it thought a tunnel near wear I live the other day, full throttle 3rd and 4th from about 30mph up to a reasonable number of leptons, man did it sound and feel awesome and even the gf was really impressed. god only knows what a single would be like through there.

I admit I do plant the throttle fairly often, but typically for very short periods of time, maybe to pass someone, to get down a slip road quickly, to leave a tailgater behind etc - you've got to love it. I'd like more power, but there is no way I'm complaining, these cars are awesome in any state of tune and the more you do the better they get :woot: