The mkiv Supra Owners Club

odo reading 60,000 or less

jackso11

I have had the Thor delimiter and speedo fitted and want the readout on the odo to be in miles and not kilometers.

I understand the Thor can add to the odo in miles or kilometers, but the existing figure stays as it is.

i.e. The odo says 95,000Km, if I have the thor outputting miles it add miles to the existing 95,000. If I do 10 more miles the new reading will show 95,010.

As you can't roll back the figures I need an odo that is at 60,000 or less so I can set it to the correct miles before I connect it to the mile output wire.

Otherwise I will have to say the clock shows miles only if you subtract 95000 and add 60000 odd to the figure displayed! not ideal.

Anyone got one?

With all due respect, I don't think changing your ODO is a sensible thing to do,

You think explaining "the clock shows miles only if you subtract 95000 and add 60000 odd to the figure displayed!" is difficult, try explaining that you swapped the ODO to make it read correctly without them suspecting the car has been clocked (which lets face it - it has).

I think most people buying a JSpec Supra will be expecting to have to perform some funny maths to work out how many miles the car has done.

Mine has a BIMTA certificate guaranteeing the mileage (in kilometres) from when the car was bought at Auction in Japan. This was requested by the original seller in the UK, and the car was converted to read miles at about the same time. I can then be pretty confident that any reading from the BIMTA mileage onwards is in miles, and I'm happy to do the maths.

I don't know what everyone else on here thinks but I personally would walk away from a car in the state you're proposing.

Mike

whats to explain! I have a BIMTA certificate to say how many Km's it has done. All I would say is the clocks have been converted to miles.

Wouldn't you think that is fine?

I wouldn't say the car had been clocked, I would say it had been converted to miles from Km. Wouldn't you?

whats to explain! I have a BIMTA certificate to say how many Km's it has done. All I would say is the clocks have been converted to miles.

Wouldn't you think that is fine?

I wouldn't say the car had been clocked, I would say it had been converted to miles from Km. Wouldn't you?

My concern would be - how would you prove that the mileage (converted from kilometers) displayed before the clocks were changed is the mileage that was displayed after the clocks were changed. There is a strong possibility that an unscrupulous person (and I'm not saying you are) could have shaved a few miles off the reading whilst doing the swap.

I wasn't suggesting you would be saying the car had been clocked, but as you have technically rolled back the displayed odometer, by definition you have clocked the car.

I'm also not sure what the legal position would be in this situation. Any SVA or MOT would have a mileage reading and this would no longer tally with the odometer. I would suggest you check out the legal position at least.

IMHO it's not worth the effort.

Mike

How does one go about getting a BIMTA certificate?

Since the BIMTA website is down :( (what kind of muppets are they, how can their website be down)

I think the website was bimta.org, but as you say the website is down.

hold on I'll check my certificate for contact details

Okay:

First Floor, 14b Chapel Place

Tunbridge Wells

Kent

TN1 1YQ

Tel: 01892 515 425

Fax: 01892 515 495

email queries -at- bimta -dot- org

or members -at- bimta -dot- org

Mike

I know a company that can actually recalibrate the speedo to the correct reading in miles.

He would want proof of original Kms though and will supply a certificate to show when it was changed to miles.

This is done by using the proper equipment and isnt a back street clocking outfit.He does this when SVA'ing cars etc as part of his service.

Havent a clue what he would charge for the service though

I know a company that can actually recalibrate the speedo to the correct reading in miles.

He would want proof of original Kms though and will supply a certificate to show when it was changed to miles.

This is done by using the proper equipment and isnt a back street clocking outfit.He does this when SVA'ing cars etc as part of his service.

Havent a clue what he would charge for the service though

That sounds a much more sensible approach, rather than physically swapping an ODO.

Mike

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.