The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How To: Valve Stem Seal Replacement

TLicense

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got to feed it into each cylinder as you work on that cylinder.

When you remove the valve retainer, the valve will drop down into the cylinder unless something stops it.

The rope basically coils up on top of the piston and then jams against the bottom of the valve, stopping it from dropping.

Ok so to clarify as Im a dumbass, does that mean each of the 6 sparkplugs holes covers 2 of the 24 valves...or is it cylinders?!?!

See my problem is I don't know what alot of the parts are called but once I delve in I can see what needs to be done lol.

Thanks matey

I understand :p

I've made several attempts at getting the little locks back into place now. It's so fiddly ! I finally get them in place but the spring hasn't compressed back into place so it looks as it should only poking out higher than the rest that I haven't touched yet ! Am I being shy at spanking it one to push it all in or is there something else I've overlooked ?

I understand :p

I've made several attempts at getting the little locks back into place now. It's so fiddly ! I finally get them in place but the spring hasn't compressed back into place so it looks as it should only poking out higher than the rest that I haven't touched yet ! Am I being shy at spanking it one to push it all in or is there something else I've overlooked ?

The size diference quoted by terminator in your other thread?

posibley?

Thanks guys, it's ok I was just being too shy with it. After bouncing up and down on it like a hooker with an apprenticeship a few times it has all locked down. Well sort of, one clip pokes up a tad as in the guide so just a question of taking them out and trying again till they both seat as they should.

Thanks again all

Sorry for the delay. Work beckoned! ;)

If it looks like this:-

Then it's wrong.

It needs to end up looking like this:-

Once you think they're locked in, give the end of the valve a tap with a plastic mallet. If they're not properly in then they'll hopefully ping out then rather than when you're doing 70 on the motorway. ;)

• 5 months later...

Hi Tony/any one else who might be able to answer!

Found the following tool on snap-on's site which looks the same but without any knurling and cheaper! Any reason why I shouldn't get this one?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=78777&PartNo=ga317&group_id=1578&supersede=&store=uk&tool=all

Instead of the one you had?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=72214&group_ID=1578&store=uk&dir=catalog

Perhaps it is different in size or maybe wasn't for sale when you made the faq?

I'm totally prepared for the fact that I may have asked a stupid question here as I am inexperienced when it comes to the inside of an engine but thought I'd ask as I have no lathe and think £50 for two small pieces of metal and a magnet is more painful than £34! :D

IMO they are both crap, I bought the dearer one and really cannot get on with it, it is very easy to hit the bore where the bucket has to go and you will never get the bucket to properly go back in its bore, if you force it there is a chance it will stick and hold a valve open,I have never managed to get the collet installer to work either but that may just be me, that combined with the fact I have not had a head refurb recently where quite a few of the valves did not need reseating I think doing the seals on the car is only viable if you need to sell the car, if you are keeping it and running it tuned it is false economy as any baked on carbon from the oil leaking into the cylinder can lead to hopt spots and detonation.

Cheers dude, I appreciate that the better thing to do would be remove the head and do this however most people just put up with the smoke at start up and repeatedly say this is ok/without serious consequence.

I have a leaky cam cover seal so I thought I'd replace them which then led we to think about changing the cams for some 264/264's whilst I'm in there which then again led me to think that it would be a good opportunity to change the stem seals too.

As far as I know I didn't have a problem with abnormal det before (when recently mapped by Matt he didn't mention any) and I've not even seen 1000 miles on fresh oil since that day plus my seals aren't majorly bad compared to some so I think that I should be ok here and changing the seals should at least prevent any further build up as you say.

With this in mind, shouldn't the general advice on the forum be that as soon as there is sign of leaky stem seals that they are changed immediately rather than the laid back attitude towards leaky stem seals, especially with pushing the stock twins further and further where det is more likely?

Oh, and the original question still stands :innocent: is the cheaper, non knarled version suitable for the job? I'm going to be taking my precious time to ensure I don't mark the head/bucket bores etc as time is not an issue as much as it would be in the trade.

Hi Tony/any one else who might be able to answer!

Found the following tool on snap-on's site which looks the same but without any knurling and cheaper! Any reason why I shouldn't get this one?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=78777&PartNo=ga317&group_id=1578&supersede=&store=uk&tool=all

Instead of the one you had?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=72214&group_ID=1578&store=uk&dir=catalog

Perhaps it is different in size or maybe wasn't for sale when you made the faq?

I'm totally prepared for the fact that I may have asked a stupid question here as I am inexperienced when it comes to the inside of an engine but thought I'd ask as I have no lathe and think £50 for two small pieces of metal and a magnet is more painful than £34! :D

The simple answer is I don't know. I've not seen / used the GA317 so can't comment. Why not order it and if it's no good send it back?

The simple answer is I don't know. I've not seen / used the GA317 so can't comment. Why not order it and if it's no good send it back?

That's what I think I'll do, was just asking in case you had come across it on your search for the tool and chose not to order it for a particular reason. I'll order it and let you know what I find.

IMO they are both crap, I bought the dearer one and really cannot get on with it, it is very easy to hit the bore where the bucket has to go and you will never get the bucket to properly go back in its bore, if you force it there is a chance it will stick and hold a valve open,I have never managed to get the collet installer to work either but that may just be me, that combined with the fact I have not had a head refurb recently where quite a few of the valves did not need reseating I think doing the seals on the car is only viable if you need to sell the car, if you are keeping it and running it tuned it is false economy as any baked on carbon from the oil leaking into the cylinder can lead to hopt spots and detonation.

It could be that you need to machine it down a bit more to give yourself greater clearance to the bores. I didn't have any issues with clipping the bores, but I was being uber-careful.

Lee, did you see that tool I made on the previous pages? If you want to borrow it to make the job less stressfull I will send it you :) pm me

Thanks for the kind offer Jay! Snap-on are delivering the GA317 tool tomorrow so I should know by then if I can get by with it or not so I may yet take you up on that offer! That tool you made is a bit of genius and I don't think I'd have bothered with the snap-on one if I'd had thought about asking you to borrow yours!

Thanks for the kind offer Jay! Snap-on are delivering the GA317 tool tomorrow so I should know by then if I can get by with it or not so I may yet take you up on that offer! That tool you made is a bit of genius and I don't think I'd have bothered with the snap-on one if I'd had thought about asking you to borrow yours!

We have the tool that you bolt on and lever the valves down with and that works much better, by the time youve had collets flying around you may as well take the head off!!!;) Ill have a bet that as you are single and changing the kit anyway I can remove the head with inlet and refurb it inc reseating the valves quicker than you can change seals using the kit, thats after you have removed the turbo kit and not inc refitting it.

We have the tool that you bolt on and lever the valves down with and that works much better, by the time youve had collets flying around you may as well take the head off

Sorry John, but I'm going to have to disagree with that. There's no way that replacing the seals with the head on the car is less hassle than removing the inlet and turbo's, even more so if you still have the stock turbo's.

Paying you £400 is probably less hassle, but then if you're charging circa £50 an hour I have my doubts as to how throrough someone can be in pulling off the turbo's, the head, stripping the head down and then rebuilding it and then re-assembling it in 8 hours.

Sorry John, but I'm going to have to disagree with that. There's no way that replacing the seals with the head on the car is less hassle than removing the inlet and turbo's, even more so if you still have the stock turbo's.

Paying you £400 is probably less hassle, but then if you're charging circa £50 an hour I have my doubts as to how throrough someone can be in pulling off the turbo's, the head, stripping the head down and then rebuilding it and then re-assembling it in 8 hours.

The last one I did on the car was an all day affair, I would not do another, give me a car with no turbo system on it (as Lee is changing set ups) with my air tools and I bet I have the head off before you can do the first cylinder VSOS. Note there are no turbos on the car Tony!!!!! If we are talking turbos as well its a diff ball gane but Lee is changing kits so turbos don't come into it, we can always try it for real if you fancy a challenge;)