The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Loss of power/engine died after giving it boost

SUPRA4EVA

This is the first time I've had the car out in a while.

Driving around for 30 mins no problem, cursing along, giving it some boost here and there.

Then I saw a good inline stretch and put my foot down working from 2nd up to 3rd or 4th (5-6K range) when the car lost power and became sluggish.

The whole dash lit up, so I pulled over to have a look around.

Got the car started again, had a listen and a look under, all seemed okay but there was a flutter coming from under the middle of the car when revving the engine, like an exhaust leak...

The lights on dash when started were: yellow - oil level (which was fine) and yellow - rear light fault (my lights were dim on dash and rear ambers I was told) red triangle (this can be a bunch of things). Tank was 1/2 full.

But decided to take it easy and head back but not long after it started loosing power again, chugging along and dash lights getting dimmer and dimmer until there was some clicking around the dash (solenoids I presume) and the engine died.

Was not able to start it after but the starter did go.

Once recovery came the car was started but the lights mentioned above were still on so it got towed away to a garage.

The car has always been reliable and this is the first time this has happened. I know battery is over 10 years old and it discharges fast these days if you play round with lights/windows but it always had enough to start the engine as long as I kept it unplugged when not in use for a while. It was actually the next thing on my list to get this year.

Could the battery be a cause, could it affect the fuel pump or other electrics when ruining or even the alternator?

Car's all stock, that includes the turbo setup, only has an aftermarket cat back with the 1st cat still present.

This is all the info I have, I had no choice but to drop it off at a garage, I'd rather be looking at it myself but my hands are tied.

I don't know what the diag codes are.

I'm no expert by any means but have you checked the battery and alternator are well? Those sound like an odd combination of lights and usually odd is grounds/battery power. 

My other thoughts run to the ECU being poorly, but that's probably a stretch and not something you can easily test for or do anything about. 

Do you know how to check the codes?

"But decided to take it easy and head back but not long after it started loosing power again, chugging along and dash lights getting dimmer and dimmer until there was some clicking around the dash (solenoids I presume) and the engine died."

This defo sounds like alternator to me, the only time a Supra has left me waiting for an AA man I had the same, lights dimming and engine cut out, AA tested the alternator, kaput, popped a new battery in from his van and drove the over 10 miles back on that while he follow behind. Your battery history/fast drain could have been the alternator deteriorating  and not just the battery being old, it just might not have been getting much charge)

I personally would get a new battery, pop it on and if it starts then get a volt meter and check it reads somewhere near 14 volts (proves the alternator is charging).

Thanks guys. I'd be all over it but as I have nowhere to work on it, it's still sitting at the garage that recovered the car.

Annoyingly the active spoiler ended up being in the down position and it was heartbreaking watching the winch cable pushing on it but it wasn't damaged.

I've never had to check fault codes yet but I believe it's like on the MR2 Mk2...paperclip and watch the blinks.

The alternator does sound plausible, it could have been overworked every time it had to change this battery up after long periods of no use.

PS are OEM alternators and batteries still available new?

I decided to take back the car and wait until I can look at it myself, really not keen on someone else working on it.

A new battery was however fitted and it starts fine and drives but while running I still have the following lights - left to right:

Battery - red, Rear Lights - amber, Triangle - red, Brake System - red, Low Oil Level - amber.

I'll have to get the fault codes off it first thing and will be looking at changing the alternator as a new battery and it's discharging...

But all these dash lights on currently (especially lights, brakes, oil level) will they clear after the car is back to "normal operation"?

And I've definitely got a rattle from under where the prop shaft is when I rev the engine so that will need looking at too.

Have you done as @Scootersuggests and stuck a multimeter on it to measure how many volts the cars pulling when not running vs when it is ?

That should give you a good indication as to whether the alternator is doing anything now you've swapped the battery.  You should see around 14v when its running. Let us know what numbers you get?

99% the lights will go once a new alternator is fitted.

Reasonable ones on ebay, I'd just check the plastic connector is the same as yours and get one. You can probably get your original refurbished to rather than bin it.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:39 PM, Probby said:

Have you done as @Scootersuggests and stuck a multimeter on it to measure how many volts the cars pulling when not running vs when it is ?

That should give you a good indication as to whether the alternator is doing anything now you've swapped the battery.  You should see around 14v when its running. Let us know what numbers you get?

Yeah I did and it was below 12V. It's out now, trying to get a new one.

• Like 1