The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Horn issue (Facelift)

Homer

I've got an issue where the horn is on all the time.

So far we've replaced the horns, tried a different steering wheel, changed the fuse, relay and checked the wiring for breaks. No issues found. I've been through the wiring diagrams for the horn circuit and it all seems to check out, all connectors are plugged in.

When the small wiring connector on the steering wheel is disconnected the horn does not go off. With it plugged in the horn is on all the time regardless of whether the horn wire to the wheel is plugged in or not.

Does anyone know what could be the cause?

Am I connecting the horn wire to the correct terminal on the clock spring?

Also is the horn breaking the circuit when pressed or completing it? It seems to be breaking the circuit since it pushed the metal connectors apart.

Horn.jpeg

horn 2.jpeg

Also when I got the car it had a UK steering wheel (pic below). The white plug only uses the right pin on the facelift steering column, the left one is unused).

Does anyone know if the left pin is used for the horn mechanism on the facelift? Maybe the issue is that this isn’t reaching anything. The wiring is definitely different on facelift as there are different plugs used on the column to connect the horn wire

IMG_3299.jpeg

9 hours ago, Homer said:

Thanks mate. That confirms I have it wired up correctly. I’m stumped. 

Yes you have wired it up correctly, just one wire, and it sounds the horn when it's pulled to ground. So I'd say you have a point in the circuit that is touching the body of the car and grounding mate. Bell it out and re-check all the wiring for the horn circuit.

21 minutes ago, Burna said:

Yes you have wired it up correctly, just one wire, and it sounds the horn when it's pulled to ground. So I'd say you have a point in the circuit that is touching the body of the car and grounding mate. Bell it out and re-check all the wiring for the horn circuit.

I've already been through all the loom I can get to (Much of it is behind the dash so dash out job to inspect!).

I think I'm going to end up taking a new wire from the back of the plug, all the way through to the engine bay loom (and add a fuse of course). 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update to this. We found where the grounding is happening but am not sure how to fix it.

After a process of elimination the ground is occurring between the plug that goes into the clock spring unit and the plug for the horn on the steering wheel. Bypassing this it works as intended.

Does anyone know if the clock spring mechanism can be dismantled and checked? It’s one of those things I suspect isn’t easily serviceable… 

Homer is the clock spring in the bit with wipers/indicator stalks go into? 

I have an old assembly (one of the stalks is gone/floppy hence why I swapped it out years ago) that I was going to bin that I could send for postage that you could experiment on if that would help?

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

Homer is the clock spring in the bit with wipers/indicator stalks go into? 

I have an old assembly (one of the stalks is gone/floppy hence why I swapped it out years ago) that I was going to bin that I could send for postage that you could experiment on if that would help?

Thanks mate, that could really help. I'm going to take it off the car first and see if there's anything obviously wrong with it first. Part of it is shown on the 2nd picture on the first post (Black ring with the '5' sticker on it). Also shown here:

Clock spring.jpg