The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Seller's remorse? - thankfully in time!

auzzam

Hi all,

As you may have seen, I recently listed my r154 converted car on the forum for sale.

I was not expecting to have to arrange viewings so quickly (maybe it was underpriced at £28k) however within 1 day I had 5 people wanting to come down and take it!

Needless to say, it made me seriously have a hard think about selling the car as I was being reminded of  all of the little bits I've done to it over the years and the sentiment it has.

Fortunately I listened to the feeling in my gut and decided to remove it from sale as I could already feel the regret kicking in as I truly believe the first to see would have taken her.

My question is... Has anyone else gone through the roller coaster of emotions - considering to sell and then realising it's too much to part ways?

Thanks

Well i listed mine for sale, overpriced on the ad tbh and not a huge amount of interest. Ad went down and i never renewed it, had a guy contact me afterwards and come view the car. Didn't haggle, just said around what i wanted and off he went. Agreed a price awhile later and i was grand cause he wasn't going to have the money for awhile so i could make up my mind. He offered a deposit but I said no as it would cement the deal. Any-who it didn't go ahead and im happy out. I had always planned on having it in the background as a project to tip away with. Been collecting parts for awhile whenever i have money (that isn't being spent on new family members). Ideally if i got my house built in next 2 years, garage built, lift in garage, Supra on lift and tip away with doing bits and pieces. Bring it out as vintage (30years old in Ireland) to avail of the cheap tax (currently €1500/year, €400/quarter). Dream right there ha.

• Like 1

It's interesting because if you get to the point of using it so little, then how would you really miss it! but I get the "one day I'll sort it out fully" and devote time to it and there is a sentimental aspect as to keep any old car there has to be a connection to the time/era.  Sometimes it's just a nostalgia feeling, I mean I get certain happy flashbacks now just writing this, and it must be worse if you've had the same Supra for such a long time, rather than being a serial swapper like me!

Just have to go with your gut..........and at least now you know if you ever needed to you could sell it quickly!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Scooter said:

It's interesting because if you get to the point of using it so little, then how would you really miss it! but I get the "one day I'll sort it out fully" and devote time to it and there is a sentimental aspect as to keep any old car there has to be a connection to the time/era.  Sometimes it's just a nostalgia feeling, I mean I get certain happy flashbacks now just writing this, and it must be worse if you've had the same Supra for such a long time, rather than being a serial swapper like me!

Just have to go with your gut..........and at least now you know if you ever needed to you could sell it quickly!

Definitely, I was a bit surprised by how close to the asking price I was getting offers for.

Just goes to show people are willing to pay the prices that are being asked for (within reason). 

I'll just have to be patient and willing to slowly continue building it over the coming years, even though it's a lot in terms of running costs you're spot on with the nostalgic feeling it provides... Something really soulful about it.

The only thing I could see changing things drastically is the war on cars.. 

ULEZ could just be the first of many obstacles, I heard noise cameras are next!

2 hours ago, The Raven said:

I have had a few "im interested" when random people have asked me via here or facebook pages.

Never seriously considered it yet. 

I think the huge profit on it would make it much easier to let go if and when i do

Maybe you need to spend more money on it so 😁

I haven't had mine on the road since 2018 since i started riding bikes but its not like its taking up space or causing me agro. Its in my (semi dehumidified) shed at the parents house under a cover. Once i drained the fuel, changed the oil and put new petrol in it started first time.

1 hour ago, TuneR said:

Maybe you need to spend more money on it so 😁

I haven't had mine on the road since 2018 since i started riding bikes but its not like its taking up space or causing me agro. Its in my (semi dehumidified) shed at the parents house under a cover. Once i drained the fuel, changed the oil and put new petrol in it started first time.

Had it since 09 the sweet 5k tt price years.

Derailing the thread somewhat is there anything now that has that much bang for your buck?  

1 hour ago, The Raven said:

Had it since 09 the sweet 5k tt price years.

Derailing the thread somewhat is there anything now that has that much bang for your buck?  

I don't think so because the TT (even bpu) is not exceptional in performance now. In the 09 days a bpu Supra was properly quick still. A ridiculous bargain in hindsight. 

Very very little is cheap now, I got a 6 Series manual V8 for sub £7K a few years back and I consider that a bargain but it's not as quick, it has no real kudos and has a questionable reliability in comparison. 

A few Maserati's look cheap, but again huge bork factor potential, some early 2000 Porsches?  But these are all slower and nothing comparable to a Supra in 09.

R35 GTR at £15K would perhaps be a comparable car today to the £5K TT, but that doesn't look like happening!?