The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MBA, Master of Business Degree

Noz

Curious if anyone's completed an MBA.

I've recently netted a position that would benefit from a qualification like this, and just wondering from someone else's experience how it impacted them.

Looked at various ones and think it's probably worth me considering, some of the content in them really do look of value.

A MBA value to you probably depends on you age, prior experience and how much kudos your actual or potential employer assigns to a MBA.

I did the first year of a MBA course at Henley when I worked for a major International oil company that sponsored the costs; as they valued the MBA title in career progression. To be honest, I didn't learn a thing in that first year that I wasn't already applying as I was heading up a new business sector group. I never went any further than the first year as I got head hunted by a US company that wanted me and didn't care a dot about what qualifications I had already or could work towards. They certainly wouldn't have been interested in funding years 2 and 3 of an expensive MBA course and I wasn't either. I went on to head up small multi National companies, without ever needing to finish the MBA course. I found the course work really boring but that was probably mostly because it wasn't teaching me anything I hadn't already experienced and applied in real business life.

So, you rarely want to do a MBA for yourself as you can teach yourself business, if you have a business brain, should you be setting up on your own. It only has value if your employer, actual or prospective sees it as adding value. In which case, make sure you get them to pay for it because it is an expensive course. From those I know who did go on to complete an MBA the only observation I made is that it didn't make them any cleverer. I always found in my time as a boss in other peoples and my own businesses the most important thing is being able to form a strategy and have a plan how to implement it. A MBA doesn't invoke strategic thinking. But, the main factor to any business is how you manage and interact with those who work for you. A MBA doesn't teach you that either.

• 4 months later...
On 11/6/2022 at 4:09 AM, rider said:

I didn't learn a thing in that first year that I wasn't already applying as I was heading up a new business sector group.

So, you rarely want to do a MBA for yourself as you can teach yourself business, if you have a business brain, should you be setting up on your own. It only has value if your employer, actual or prospective sees it as adding value. In which case, make sure you get them to pay for it because it is an expensive course. From those I know who did go on to complete an MBA the only observation I made is that it didn't make them any cleverer. 

I can't tell you how many times I've heard this exact same sentiment from people in the business world. Sounds like you're better off getting the knowledge through experience than through a program. There are so many MBAs being offered everywhere now that I think it's really devalued having one. Ultimately, an employer will care more about whether you can do the job competently that what letters are on your degree. 

An ex business partner of mine did an MBA.

He went from being a reasonable guy to a theory know it all with zero experience. Guess how that turned out?

MBA can open doors, but you can’t beat the experience of just doing it. Even better if you fail first (I’m told).

Every day is a learning day. Practice humility, listen to your staff. It is them that make or break a business.