The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help with finding the correct height for the front emblem

auzzam

Hi guys and gals,

Need a quick favour. Could someone provide me the measurement for how far down the bumper I should line up the top of my emblem?

My bumper has been filled before I got the car so unfortunately I have no guide holes to use.

Hopefully the pic gives you an idea of where I need the measurement from.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20220213_113025200.jpg

I wasn't aware that 040 super white cars ever came with black emblems, I always thought it was either chrome or gold with two mounting prongs sited at the top and bottom of the bull head. Original emblems tallied to original bumpers would have the two holes drilled into the bumper for the OEM emblem. For the definitive on position someone with an original bumper could measure the mounting hole distances to various points on the bumper. 

The other thing is not many emblems retain the original Supra OE dimensions which lots of years ago on a NZ forum post was given as 80x62 mm. Most badges are a few to quite a few mm larger. At the end of the day though, does a mm here or there really matter?

16 hours ago, rider said:

I wasn't aware that 040 super white cars ever came with black emblems, I always thought it was either chrome or gold with two mounting prongs sited at the top and bottom of the bull head. Original emblems tallied to original bumpers would have the two holes drilled into the bumper for the OEM emblem. For the definitive on position someone with an original bumper could measure the mounting hole distances to various points on the bumper. 

The other thing is not many emblems retain the original Supra OE dimensions which lots of years ago on a NZ forum post was given as 80x62 mm. Most badges are a few to quite a few mm larger. At the end of the day though, does a mm here or there really matter?

I always thought the opposite, 040 Supras were always black (greyish) badges, and the silver/gold was an option. The bumper/badge on the NA appears to be completely original, as the badge measurements tally up with the 80x62mm you mentioned, and the holes are there to locate it (I had no idea mine had snapped off, definitely time for some new badges!) When I replace the badge I'll measure up the distances to the mounting holes. 

IMG_1231.thumb.JPG.760310f4ad5cc67eb4427bda3d6c8c32.JPGIMG_1232.thumb.JPG.2cf474ae0007aadd3b037b5c22c6831a.JPGIMG_1233.thumb.JPG.c8caa8fe0c66336bbfdf88bc66dc8749.JPG

The TT6 (unfortunately not stored with me so I can't measure now and 100% confirm), looks to have an OE silver badge, as shown as an option in the 96' brochure. The rear badges on both cars are black. I have never liked the silver badge anyway, the plan is to buy some gold ones from Venom Automotive for the TT6, as OE gold are hen's teeth. I agree, a few mm difference probably isn't a big deal.

IMG_9691.thumb.png.2e7bb5b74b6f998559e4dcb944f0a877.png

Supra badges are a bit of a mystery.

Original ones were metal then they became plastic. Probably as part of the facelift weight reduction project. Amayama do stock the black pronged badge, p/n 75314-17010 I think. Other, non Toyota OE badges were just plain flat stick on variety, you'll see from the back of your badge if there were ever prongs that have gone or if there never were any there. A lot of original metal badges were binned because they fade over time and got themselves replaced by the new variant plastic badges, OEM and non-OEM. I paid comfortably over £100 for a NOS gold front a few years ago ready for if I ever paint my car as these were discontinued and unavailable probably 6, 7 years ago now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rider said:

Supra badges are a bit of a mystery.

Original ones were metal then they became plastic. Probably as part of the facelift weight reduction project. Amayama do stock the black pronged badge, p/n 75314-17010 I think. Other, non Toyota OE badges were just plain flat stick on variety, you'll see from the back of your badge if there were ever prongs that have gone or if there never were any there. A lot of original metal badges were binned because they fade over time and got themselves replaced by the new variant plastic badges, OEM and non-OEM. I paid comfortably over £100 for a NOS gold front a few years ago ready for if I ever paint my car as these were discontinued and unavailable probably 6, 7 years ago now.

Interesting, I had no idea they were even metal to begin with! You learn something new every day. Thanks for the information. 

On 2/15/2022 at 7:49 PM, auzzam said:

Hi guys and gals,

Need a quick favour. Could someone provide me the measurement for how far down the bumper I should line up the top of my emblem?

My bumper has been filled before I got the car so unfortunately I have no guide holes to use.

Hopefully the pic gives you an idea of where I need the measurement from.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20220213_113025200.jpg

Is it not possible to see where the original holes holes were by looking on the inside of the bumper? 

• Like 1