The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bad piston rings

scythe

It really sucks that this has to be my first post here.
finally got my dream car. mint clean mk4 with 2jzgte.
the guy I got it from, took it to jiffy lube to get an oil change right before I got it.
they overfilled the oil, causing the piston rings to blow and internally leak oil.
I thought it was just valve stem seals that needed replace because the symptoms are the same.

I drove the car home after paying cash, and now it's leaking oil all over the place.

now I don't know what to do.

I am going to contact some shops in the morning to try and get an estimate on fixing everything.

anyone had to deal with something similar?

do you think the engine is shot? should I waste my time / money getting it fixed?

1st thing, overfilling the oil wouldn't affect the piston rings. It would force oil out of every hole available, and would take a long time to clear the smoke.

2JZs are very tough engines, drain the oil, get it to the correct level, clean up all the leaked oil, drive it and see how it goes. Any garage will pray on you for easy grands for an unnecessary engine rebuild. Just take a step back and breathe

If it’s still leaking oil after doing the above then you can do a search on here for the common oil leak areas on a 2JZ. I’ve also used a UV dye designed to go in the oil to help track down where a leak is coming from- you can get a kit on eBay. Hope you got it sorted.