The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Both CATS with 600+ bhp?

JamesArup

Hey folks,

Most of the posts I've seen vaguely related to this are 10+ years old, so I wanted to see if there was any new info out there.

I am currently running a big single @ 620bhp or so, managed by a Syvecs S7i with a straight through (CW twin cat bypass pipes) 4" HKS Ti exhaust. It's coming up to that MOT time of year once again, where I have to beg, crawl and sweat to get the car though the emissions test (not to mention having no CATS is a no-no either way).

Luckily, I do have a friendly MOT guy, but it's becoming such a chore each year, and I really don't want to keep putting the MOT guy in a stressful position, just because he loves my car, and respects it for what it is.

Is anyone running 600+ bhp on a standard exhaust setup with both CATS in place, that actually passes the MOT emissions test without any fiddling around? Like, is there an option to replace my setup with something like a Blitz NUR Spec with both CATS, but still retain my power levels (I know it will need remapping etc). I was always under the impression that the restriction on the flow causes problems, but I am not so up-to-speed with modern systems and ECU's, and maybe it's less of an issue now?

Hopefully that made some sense? Any feedback is much appreciated.
Cheers, James

Edited by JamesArup (see edit history)

Ahh great. Thanks for the video, very informative.

The HKS Ti is a good exhaust (if a little loud), so if I can just drop a CAT or two back into that, that would be ideal... if I can find one. Although I think a guy literally 5 mins down the road from me makes CAT's for McLaren's (as the factory is very close), so probably worth having a word with him to see what he can do!

And yes, will make sure there's an MOT setting in the ECU for this time of year 🙂

I'll keep investigating and see what comes up! Cheers!

12 minutes ago, JamesArup said:

Ahh great. Thanks for the video, very informative.

The HKS Ti is a good exhaust (if a little loud), so if I can just drop a CAT or two back into that, that would be ideal... if I can find one. Although I think a guy literally 5 mins down the road from me makes CAT's for McLaren's (as the factory is very close), so probably worth having a word with him to see what he can do!

And yes, will make sure there's an MOT setting in the ECU for this time of year 🙂

I'll keep investigating and see what comes up! Cheers!

Definitely share any information or opportunities for a group buy for 4" or 4.5" cats.

I know realstreet had a 1000whp with a twin cat setup that sounded sensible. This is the way forward.

Would rather somewhere reputable than some eBay 4" and then still have emission problems.