The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heater Console Bulb Change / LED Conversion

Paulie

Hi all,

I managed to find a new heater console which has improved the heat delivery into the supra.  That is to say, I now have some heat.  It's not red hot, but it's better than the cold air that was delivered before.

I've noticed on the new unit that the top row of buttons and thermostat dial on the heater console have no illumination.

Looking at the back of the unit I can see two grey bulbs and I'm guessing that there are loads more but I've no idea where they might be.

Does anyone know how to get to the bulbs behind the buttons, and how I might do an LED conversion on these bulbs?  I've seen a chap in the US offering a service to swap out these bulbs for LED and to add some coloured LEDs (which look pretty good).  I'm reluctant to send my unit to him in case it gets lost in the mail; these things seem rather hard to come by these days.

Thinking about it, could it be that all of the bulbs on the top have blown or is it more likely that there's an issue with the console causing all top row of buttons and thermostat dial to fail to light up?

Thoughts anyone?

Paul

6 minutes ago, rider said:

There is a how to somewhere on site of how to break down the controller and either replace the bulb or LED them. Look up for the search feature.

Not sure if you're referring to Heckler's guides or not but of you are, they don't exist anymore. If was hosted on his own site which was taken down when he stepped away from doing them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rider said:

There is a how to somewhere on site of how to break down the controller and either replace the bulb or LED them. Look up for the search feature.

ac controller tear down.pdf 893.25 kB · 1 download

Hi Rider,

As always, thanks for passing that over.  I'm guessing it's just the twist out bulbs that I need to replace for the button illumination.  The soldered on bulbs appear to be the ones that illuminate which button is selected (the small green indicator lights).  Luckily, those indicator lights seem to be working fine.

Thanks again,

Paul

7 minutes ago, rider said:

That is correct, they are available from Toyota at about £6 each. Someone was after some recently so there is a recent thread I added the part number to. Just a twist and replace, the soldering info is just if you are soldering in some LED's.

That's superb, thanks Rider.  

I bought what I thought were LED replacements to them but they don't seem to fit.  T4.2 was the size I thought would do the job.  Does T4.2 sound right to you?