The mkiv Supra Owners Club

W58 rebuild kit / someone to recon.

swiftstu

Hi all,

Just looking at doing my W58 swap and thought about having the gearbox reconditioned before it goes in as I don't know how long it will last / what the inside looks like.

I've had a few places just refuse to do it as the parts aren't available.  I've had a good local place say, if I can get the parts they'll rebuild as much as I want.  Anyone able to either recommend a place who can definitely do it, or a place which will supply up to and including a full rebuild kit - I can only find small bearing kits etc on places like ebay.

Thanks!

On 9/24/2021 at 5:54 PM, Silber Supra 97 said:

Hello, I'm not located in your country, but I have rebuilt a few V160s and the W58 wouldn't be a large hassle.  Just need one specific tool for removing the 5th gear.  Rebuilding differentials is also something that I am proficient at. 

Thanks - Not something I wanted to do myself though, just looking for an expert who can, or an expert who can if I buy the parts.

Appreciate the response! 🙂

Hi guys.

Parts are available from USA (see ebay) , did mine last winter.

This guy knows his stuff and i just followed his process and rebuilt mine, not for the faint hearted but perfectly do-able.

How To Rebuild a Toyota W58 5 Speed Transmission - Part 1 - YouTube

The real PITA was it still is still noisy in neutral. 

20210128_204648sm.jpg

IMG_5701sm.JPG

• Like 1

Quite a few people on here have used Paul Cheshire for gearbox rebuilds, engine rebuilds, restoration work etc. He has just rebuilt my V160 and refurbished a load of parts for my car.

I'm very impressed with his work and attention to detail.

https://www.pcheshire.com/

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 7:07 PM, griffsplace said:

Hi guys.

Parts are available from USA (see ebay) , did mine last winter.

This guy knows his stuff and i just followed his process and rebuilt mine, not for the faint hearted but perfectly do-able.

How To Rebuild a Toyota W58 5 Speed Transmission - Part 1 - YouTube

The real PITA was it still is still noisy in neutral. 

20210128_204648sm.jpg

IMG_5701sm.JPG

Thanks for that - I've watched those videos.. I'd need a bravery injection first I think